Stamp Validity

Found some 2nd class stamps from a couple of years ago, think they are still valid, if so how do I find the price increase as to make it up etc

13 hours ago, max said:

You don't need to, if the stamp is marked as 2nd Class then it's still valid.

Can I still use old value postage stamps?

That doesn't answer the OP's question. He might want to volunteer the difference like some people play the national lottery pay voluntary tax.

I had some from a few years old first and second class,asked in post office if any good they said still valid,asked about price increase since then,she just said you bought them at face value so just use them it's ok,think she said something like as long as it says First or Second,and not stated price on stamp.

I believe you can still use the ones with 1/2p on, as long as they're in multiples that add up to a whole number.

Yes to all. In fact, buying generic 1st or 2nd- class stamps for later use after a price increase seems to yield quite a good interest rate (and tax-free).

I remember Martin Lewis advocating buying stamps prior to an impending price increase.

After a dig around the other day, I used a 2nd class stamp issued during the London Olympics - 2012?!

Stamps are valid forever, provided they haven't been used before and aren't tatty. Technically you could still use a penny black, but I wouldn't recommended it. 

On 04/05/2020 at 00:02, Dardandec said:

Stamps are valid forever, provided they haven't been used before and aren't tatty. Technically you could still use a penny black, but I wouldn't recommended it. 

No. The rule about use forever applies only to decimally-denominated or generic stamps, not £sd ones!

Makes you think, though. In £sd days, the 'high value' stamps were denominated in the equivalent of 12.5p, 25p, 50p, and £1. All but the last are so low-value now that they wouldn't even cover 2nd class postage.

Inflation, eh?

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

A friend who worked in the sorting office says that the laser scanners can't (or don't) read the pre-decimal stamps.