Changing Dollars To Pounds

Having booked a holiday to America (should have been going tomorrow 😢😢) and obviously now can't go, I have $650 to change back to pounds. Where can I change these back to Pounds? Can I pay it into my bank account? No travel agents open (having originally got them from TUI). HELP!!

My local Sainsburys has a foreign exchange bureau but I don't know if it's operating at this time. Can't you save the dollars for when you do get to travel as you'll lose a fair bit of money changing them back to sterling?

If you can save all your foreign currency as foreign exchanges are charging an unusually high premiums in uncertain times

The difference between 'buy' and 'sell' prices is  a good indicator of the amount of money they are taking off you.

The Travel Money Card from the  Post Office allows you to have different wallets of currencies and transfer between them.

Isn't Kanoo Travel, Charles Street, open during the week?

On 26/04/2020 at 16:51, chocki said:

Having booked a holiday to America (should have been going tomorrow 😢😢) and obviously now can't go, I have $650 to change back to pounds. Where can I change these back to Pounds? Can I pay it into my bank account? No travel agents open (having originally got them from TUI). HELP!!

Why not hold the $ currency until:

a. you next go to the USA; or

b. you find someone else who's going and with whom you can split the commission that each would otherwise have to pay?

On 26/04/2020 at 16:51, chocki said:

We're in the same boat. Tui told us that if we keep the receipt they will guarantee to change them back at that price so you don't lose money (potentially) when they reopen.

Good idea Jeffrey. That is what I would favour.

As regards the original foreign exchange query,  it's worth noting that the Sheffield Express agency claim they're still operating 24/7 according to their site's news page.