Ssd Format Problem

Recently tried to format a Kingston SSD (64GB V series) in both Windows and using Linux gparted on two different computers.
The drive had previously been used in a fresh Windows 10 install for about a month.

Both formats show as having deleted the partitions and then reformatted, but then revert back to showing the original two partitions.

Tried the Kingston SSD manager but both my computers are fairly old and do not support the BIOS switch it needs.
Google says something about SSD's can switch into read only mode when nearing end of life but it's only about a year old with moderate use.
Anyone any ideas?

You need to be careful not to clear the wrong drive...

I would use DISKPART and the CLEAN command (using this on the wrong drive can cause data loss, be VERY careful) - but since you already been managing partitions etc, I think it's something you should be ok doing (if you're careful ;))

Once you have done a 'clean' with DISKPART, it should be a blank, empty, partition free drive...

I haven't ever heared anywhere about switching SSD's into 'read only' mode, even near end of life.... 😕

How would one know, or presume when an SSD is nearing "end of life"?

8 minutes ago, carosio said:

There will be various signs, similar to when a mechanical drive fails...

You would get errors involving bad blocks, files might not be able to be read/opened, you might not be able to write new files
or, you could get errors saying the OS needs a repair, you could get errors/crashes during boot etc....

But most are designed to preserve data, so even if you cannot write to the drive again etc, you can usually copy the contents to somewhere else....

42 minutes ago, carosio said:

I would expect the SMART indicators will tell you was well.

13 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I haven't ever heared anywhere about switching SSD's into 'read only' mode, even near end of life.... 😕

Agreed. I have had it on a Lexar micro SD but never on a 2.5" or other PC SSD.  I also use diskpart to wipe drives but take note of the warnings above.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Smart sees it as healthy, tried diskpart with clean, clean all and convert mbr but no luck.

Currently trying Aomei partition tool but if that fails Kingston give a 3yr wty so guess it will have to go back.

Its a pity that CV is doing its rounds as someone with a compliant computer could use the SSD manager and maybe fix the problem for you.

1 hour ago, swarfendor437 said:

I've yet to come across a  fully working drive that diskpart doesn't sort. I also use other tools such as the ones like you mention. Although I've not tried recently, Windows built in software didn't like things if the partitions weren't in their order (in respect to shrink/extend)

On 04/05/2020 at 19:39, zach said:

I've yet to come across a  fully working drive that diskpart doesn't sort. I also use other tools such as the ones like you mention. Although I've not tried recently, Windows built in software didn't like things if the partitions weren't in their order (in respect to shrink/extend)

That is also true of when you want to create Windows bootable media - or a backup - you have to ensure there is nothing present ... or it won't do it!

4 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

That is also true of when you want to create Windows bootable media - or a backup - you have to ensure there is nothing present ... or it won't do it!

I generally dont have a problem, got a couple of USB's I often use for storage or i'll just stick them in and setup as windows install USB's etc.... never really had any problems with partitions....