Jump to content

Wifi Strength - Mesh Systems

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, blackydog said:

BT Premium mesh not well thought of by reviewers 

BT Premium whole home wifi reviews

It was these I noticed that were faster and the same money. I can't say if either are any good as I haven't used them.

 

It looks like you're doing the right thing and having a good read up on them. It might be worth looking at the returns options too (just in case) Some companies are good for returns, other can be a real pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/05/2020 at 19:47, zach said:

Do you get 2000 from them? I've never had any luck with powerline type network. No matter what it said on the tin, I never got near the stated speeds. Allowing for overhead, I didn't even get half. I spent a fair bit on a good wired and wireless setup so I wouldn't use them, just wondered on the performance in megabytes per second.

I think this explains things well:

 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Not-getting-200mb-download-speed-using-powerline-adaptors/td-p/4005675

 

I forfeited the luxury of the MIMO TP-Link adapters to others - I'm still on the Netgear 300.

 

Also TP-Link point out if you have their kit on the system that also ensures compatibility. Got a TP-Link Archer router. Things are certainly snappier in the browsers now I changed DNS settings to Cloudflares! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

I think this explains things well:

 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Not-getting-200mb-download-speed-using-powerline-adaptors/td-p/4005675

 

I forfeited the luxury of the MIMO TP-Link adapters to others - I'm still on the Netgear 300.

 

Also TP-Link point out if you have their kit on the system that also ensures compatibility. Got a TP-Link Archer router. Things are certainly snappier in the browsers now I changed DNS settings to Cloudflares! :D

I understand how they work, just curious as to the end to end speed from PC to PC you were getting compared to what they say they are. TP-Link (and others) make some decent kit and with a few simple tweaks on the router and in the OS network settings, most networks can be improved.

 

I wasn't clear in my first reply that I meant PC to PC on your home network, not internet speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah - I thought about that afterward - the Netgear are 300 ones, quite early. I don't know how you 'd check PC to PC - We don't share stuff on the network (apart from the scanner/printer!) LOL!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

Yeah - I thought about that afterward - the Netgear are 300 ones, quite early. I don't know how you 'd check PC to PC - We don't share stuff on the network (apart from the scanner/printer!) LOL!

 

I normally use something like an ISO, either Linux or Windows that are mainly 2GB plus in size to test transfer speed, copy/paste from one PC to another. I do a lot of file moving and high quality streaming so speed is quite important in my case. A decent AC WiFi can give 50 Megabytes a second and can be bought fairly cheap. Obviously distance and stone/brick walls are going to spoil things. Like the OP, it's certainly worth looking into WiFi options. I might test the BT discs on the Smart HUB 2, I had another moan at BT and they might send 3 out, I think it may be a no, but we'll see. They have offered me 3 very cheap but I like free better.

Edited by zach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My preference is for non-ISP kit - as Computer Active advise regularly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

My preference is for non-ISP kit - as Computer Active advise regularly!

I don't take the advice of web sites, I take real world results as a guide as to what to use. I sent back a £200+ ASUS router a few years ago, the BT Hub 5 gave better results. Don't get me wrong, like anything, they have their own niggles and you have to jump through hoops at times to get the default BT WiFi turned off. All in all, they do a decent job. Simply not using things due to one sites results will be very limiting to other options. At the end of the day, it's your network, use what you think is best. If you're 100% happy with the speed, leave it alone 😉

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.