Wifi Strength - Mesh Systems

Don't have great connectivity upstairs even with a range extender so been looking at something like NETGEAR RBR10 Orbi AC1200 WiFi 5 Mesh Router.  the one with 3 units. Seems well thought of and not too expensive. I don't want to be roped into a subscription though to use all it's offerings which seems to be the case with some of these mesh systems. Anyone got any experience of a mesh system in use and  pros and cons? Thanks.

Which mesh systems use subscriptions? They're just wireless devices. I've not used any but experience of friends varies from it's awesome to wanting to throw them out of the window....this coming from people that deal with network infrastructure as a daily job :)  

They can be a pain to setup right. I've not used the one you list so can't comment on how good they are. With WiFi, you have to have a good source and a good receiver, and as few as possible obstacles such as walls and floors etc. What is your setup now? 

Costing money might have come from the industrial/business side of it. I know CISCO and others charged a CAL of sorts for theirs (Client Access License) The more users, the more you pay. I've not heard of home ones doing it, any that do, stay well away from.

12 hours ago, blackydog said:

Don't have great connectivity upstairs even with a range extender so been looking at something like NETGEAR RBR10 Orbi AC1200 WiFi 5 Mesh Router.  the one with 3 units. Seems well thought of and not too expensive. I don't want to be roped into a subscription though to use all it's offerings which seems to be the case with some of these mesh systems. Anyone got any experience of a mesh system in use and  pros and cons? Thanks.

Worth having a look at TP Link Powerline as per this thread?

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/471304-extending-wifi-signal/

On 25/04/2020 at 23:49, Longcol said:

Worth having a look at TP Link Powerline as per this thread?

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/471304-extending-wifi-signal/

Using that now, it's a bit hit and miss.

On 25/04/2020 at 18:45, zach said:

They can be a pain to setup right. I've not used the one you list so can't comment on how good they are. With WiFi, you have to have a good source and a good receiver, and as few as possible obstacles such as walls and floors etc. What is your setup now? 

Costing money might have come from the industrial/business side of it. I know CISCO and others charged a CAL of sorts for theirs (Client Access License) The more users, the more you pay. I've not heard of home ones doing it, any that do, stay well away from.

As far as I can make out, it's the security side that attracts a subscription, e.g. in some full parental controls are only available by subscription. I did receive a reply form a retailer that says the system I quoted in the OP can be set up without subscription. Most seem to be set up via an app though rather than "plug and play".

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

Using that now, it's a bit hit and miss.

As far as I can make out, it's the security side that attracts a subscription, e.g. in some full parental controls are only available by subscription. I did receive a reply form a retailer that says the system I quoted in the OP can be set up without subscription. Most seem to be set up via an app though rather than "plug and play".

It could be that the safety settings are cut on the free version. These settings can usually be enabled on your router or via your ISP though. If you're happy with the price and software you're limited to, give them a go. A CAT 5/6 cable and a decent access point could be a much cheaper option but I know it's not always possible. As with anything, it will only be as good as the weakest point, have a quick look over what you have and make sure everything is compatible etc.

On 29/04/2020 at 17:06, RabM said:

Powerline systems apparently don't play well with UPSs etc.  I use plug through models like https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G5Q9E0O

Thanks, but there's certainly no UPS in the equation. 😉 

Leaning towards this now, 3 years security included by which time it will be outdated anyway. 

TPLink Deco m5

it's also extendable up to 9 units.

Edited by blackydog

32 minutes ago, blackydog said:

Thanks, but there's certainly no UPS in the equation. 😉 

Leaning towards this now, 3 years security included by which time it will be outdated anyway. 

TPLink Deco m5

it's also extendable up to 9 units.

Will AC1300 be fast enough for you? There is a BT one with three units running AC2600 for the same money. As I said previously, it will depend on your adaptors/PCI-E cards etc that will dictate the actual speed you get. It's also worth splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz. I like the ASUS PCE-AC88 cards but they come at a price!

Let us know which you go for and the speed you get etc. Real world feedback is always better IMO 😉

I started off with Netgear passthrough powerline adapters but my favourite now is TP-Link TL-PA9020P - uses MIMO technology and 2000Mbps - two ethernet ports each adapter and with pass through so you can plug an appliance in.

Edited by swarfendor437

1 hour ago, swarfendor437 said:

I started off with Netgear passthrough powerline adapters but my favourite now is TP-Link TL-PA9020P - uses MIMO technology and 2000Mbps - two ethernet ports each adapter and with pass through so you can plug an appliance in.

Do you get 2000 from them? I've never had any luck with powerline type network. No matter what it said on the tin, I never got near the stated speeds. Allowing for overhead, I didn't even get half. I spent a fair bit on a good wired and wireless setup so I wouldn't use them, just wondered on the performance in megabytes per second.

On 04/05/2020 at 10:17, zach said:

Will AC1300 be fast enough for you? There is a BT one with three units running AC2600 for the same money. As I said previously, it will depend on your adaptors/PCI-E cards etc that will dictate the actual speed you get. It's also worth splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz. I like the ASUS PCE-AC88 cards but they come at a price!

Let us know which you go for and the speed you get etc. Real world feedback is always better IMO 😉

BT Premium mesh not well thought of by reviewers 

BT Premium whole home wifi reviews