Private Number Plate

Anyone out there who had , around the late 70's , the number plate HS 5040  on a silver VW golf ?

10 hours ago, Skimking said:

Anyone out there who had , around the late 70's , the number plate HS 5040  on a silver VW golf ?

Currently on a Mercedes that  has current Tax & Mot if that's any good to you Skimking

Edited by Rockers rule
wrong word used

It is quite possible that that plate belonged the Henry Spencer Estate agents. When I worked for them they had several vehicle plates starting with HS. Just a thought?

CWB 59N..picking up brand new  orange Ford Cortina 1600 XL  estate august 1975 from TC Harrison on London Road via 286 bus,its been scrapped by now surely?

1 hour ago, sedith said:

It is quite possible that that plate belonged the Henry Spencer Estate agents. When I worked for them they had several vehicle plates starting with HS. Just a thought?

HS was the Suffix (pre Preffix) number issued to vehicles registered in Glasgow.

ND - Manchester

KW - Sheffield 

etc,etc, 

Thanks everyone for comments. Was looking ,in particular, for driver of silver VW Golf MK 1 around the late 70's , say 1978 to 1980 with private reg HS 5040 ; as I have an old photograph showing the car behind me with twin headlights and sunroof open, similar to MK 1 GTI setup. 

7 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Currently on a Mercedes that  has current Tax & Mot if that's any good to you Skimking

Any idea who owns the car/ number plate and if so were they the driver of said golf mk1 in late 70's ; the latter criteria being the most important.  Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Skimking said:

Any idea who owns the car/ number plate and if so were they the driver of said golf mk1 in late 70's ; the latter criteria being the most important.  Thanks.

Finding if a vehicle is still registered with DVLA (or not) is quite easy  search .Gov and follow the links.

Finding who the current owner is to contact them and or find out where the vehicle is kept is a different thing altogether

for obvious reason's. 

7 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Finding if a vehicle is still registered with DVLA (or not) is quite easy  search .Gov and follow the links.

Finding who the current owner is to contact them and or find out where the vehicle is kept is a different thing altogether

for obvious reason's. 

Thanks for the reply. A

21 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

HS was the Suffix (pre Preffix) number issued to vehicles registered in Glasgow.

ND - Manchester

KW - Sheffield 

etc,etc, 

My reg plate is WK65 xxx.  Registered in Truro, but i live in Somerset. Where the car orginated is not necessarily where is at present.

I don't remember KW on the pre 2000 plates being Sheffield, I thought it was Hull?

YL to YU is Sheffield

SA to SY is Scotland

https://www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/

2 hours ago, sedith said:

My reg plate is WK65 xxx.  Registered in Truro, but i live in Somerset. Where the car orginated is not necessarily where is at present.

I don't remember KW on the pre 2000 plates being Sheffield, I thought it was Hull?

YL to YU is Sheffield

SA to SY is Scotland

https://www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/

Hello Sedith

The original post was regarding a vehicle with 2 Letters and then Numbers.

The 2 letters represented the Area the vehicle was first registered.

That configuration lasted till 1963 (BUT some County's still had surplus numbers available in that format and continued issuing them until 65)

There is a lot of confusion especially on some of the Reg for sale sites because they start to delve into how to decipher the later 3 digit (modern No plates)

Basically pre 63 a vehicle would have 2 numbers (area) then a series of Numbers.

or Numbers and then 2 area Letters - ie; 944 DA (Birmingham)

After 63/65 vehicles would have a series of letters, 2 numbers and a single letter ie; HWX 31J (1971) 

This format lasted till it reached the letter Y (1982/3)

then the year identification Letter was transferred to the front ie: A 609 HLD. (1983)

Modern vehicles are not my thing but yes the configuration of newer numbers issued do have the information of where they were first registered much the same as the very first did. 

BUT things could get confusing as somethings imported would recieve the registration of the year they came into the country.

I had a K reg Mk111 Zephyr (1972) & a M registered Mk111 Zephyr (1974) which wasn't bad because they stopped making that model

of Zephyr in 1966.

Happy Daze.

Keep safe.