Foreign Workers Flown In To Pick Seasonal Fruit And Veg

19 minutes ago, apelike said:

Glad to hear it so care to answer the question now about quarantine and fruit pickers? It seems odd that people who have been knocking this government's response to C-19 and were complaining that flights were being allowed into the country with people going unchecked are now complaining when it is being suggested that quarantine restriction may have to be put in place. Would quarantine restrictions also be anti foreigner and xenophobic or is that the right thing to do.

Perhaps you could also answer this, do you think it right that foreign cheap labour should be used to pick the fruit for farms just for profit and that the people should live in crowded and sparse cramped condition whilst doing so?

Ok i'll play

Tell me how they were going unchecked?

The original newspaper articles at the time said they were having their temperatures taken, socially distanced on the planes, and given masks and hand sanitiser.

Tell me why they are a virus threat compared to us?

How bad is the likes of Romania compared to us regarding the virus?

What i read (dont know if its changed at the moment) but we, the UK was the 5th worst affected country in the world. so in effect, they are flying straight into it tbh.

As for your question, cheap foreign labour, right or wrong theyve flown in, i posted a link the other day from farming weekly  into this thread about slavery on farms but it got deleted. Im not a fan of slave labour but neither do i agree in using it as a racist, xenophobic outlook on life.

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Ok i'll play

Tell me how they were going unchecked?

The original newspaper articles at the time said they were having their temperatures taken, socially distanced on the planes, and given masks and hand sanitiser.

Who was talking about newspaper articles and who are you talking about? I stated that people were being allowed into the country unchecked and did not mention anything about it being any particular group. Its you that seems, yet again, to jump on the idea that I was being xenophobic.

Tell me why they are a virus threat compared to us?

How bad is the likes of Romania compared to us regarding the virus?

Who said they are more of a virus threat compared to us, you now seem to be just making it up as you go along. Perhaps you should go back and read my post number #5 and the link I gave as to why it not such a good idea.

What i read (dont know if its changed at the moment) but we, the UK was the 5th worst affected country in the world. so in effect, they are flying straight into it tbh.

That is not the point though is it..... 

As for your question, cheap foreign labour, right or wrong theyve flown in, i posted a link the other day from farming weekly  into this thread about slavery on farms but it got deleted. Im not a fan of slave labour but neither do i agree in using it as a racist, xenophobic outlook on life.

Given my above replies perhaps you can now point out the bit where I was racist or xenophobic in my posts?

3 minutes ago, apelike said:

Who was talking about newspaper articles and who are you talking about? I stated that people were being allowed into the country unchecked and did not mention anything about it being any particular group. Its you that seems, yet again, to jump on the idea that I was being xenophobic.

Who said they are more of a virus threat compared to us, you now seem to be just making it up as you go along. Perhaps you should go back and read my post number #5 and the link I gave as to why it not such a good idea.

That is not the point though is it..... 

Given my above replies perhaps you can now point out the bit where I was racist or xenophobic in my posts?

sigh.its like trying to debate with a potato, got better things to do, bye

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

sigh.its like trying to debate with a potato, got better things to do, bye

In other words you have to bail out because you cannot now backup your claim!  Bye.... 

The bickering ends here. 
If you cant post in a civil manner then please dont bother.

14 hours ago, apelike said:

You may also believe the virus only lasts on the surface a short time but that is just what you believe and not based on any facts otherwise we would not be encouraged to keep washing our hands. Other viruses and bacteria are known to transfer this way as I have already pointed out and surely it is better to err on the safe side rather than do what you believe. By all accounts anyway Boris is set to announce  soon that all foreigners (as you put it) ;) and others will need to undergo 14 days quarantine when they enter the UK, so will the fruit pickers now be exempt so you can enjoy your strawberries and cream?

Your worrying about whether the virus can be carried on fruit and veg is a bit of a straw man. The reality is people won't do without if British produce isn't picked. The supermarkets will just import it from elsewhere and we will have no idea or control over the conditions it's picked under or by whom.

British people are being "offered" the chance to pick fruit and veg on farms 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-furloughed-workers-pick-fruit-vegetables-harvest-george-eustice-migrant-labour-a9484926.html

Looks like people will be sent there by HMG to "earn" their furlough money. Seems like a good way of spreading the virus.

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-furloughed-workers-pick-fruit-vegetables-harvest-george-eustice-migrant-labour-a9484926.html

Looks like people will be sent there by HMG to "earn" their furlough money. Seems like a good way of spreading the virus.

“Urged” the word used was “urged”. I’m not doing it! 

12 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

“Urged” the word used was “urged”. I’m not doing it! 

I would expect quite a few SF members (usual suspects 😎 ) to "urge" large numbers of people to take part - although have absolutely no intention to  join in the fun themselves.

Edited by Longcol

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

Yes just read that and couldn't stop laughing especially given my comment earlier in post # 26. 

On 25/04/2020 at 01:34, apelike said:

That is always a risk with farming. If it's too hot then the crops dry up, its too wet and the crops get waterlogged and rot etc etc, the foods that are mainly seasonal we can do without for a while without much hardship. Someone on another thread mentioned that Asparagus (grown as a cash crop) will be left to rot as no one is around to pick it, now just how many people do you know in the UK that eat asparagus. Will we have to import it na....

(my bold). I was astounded that anyone found it worthy of a mention,   that asparagus is grown as a cash crop or that people in the UK eat it. It's not exactly exotic, just a tasty veg!

I think this ends the argument once and for all doesn't it?

British people do not want to do these jobs

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to pick fruit,  I don't want to pick fruit, but lets not get on our high horse and discriminate against those that do if they are speaking their mother tongue on a bus.