Foreign Workers Flown In To Pick Seasonal Fruit And Veg

Just now, apelike said:

No one.. I won't be too much of a hardship not to have strawberries or some of the other seasonal fruit and veg for a while will it. 

Large sectors of British farming could go bust so the UK will have to rely even more on imported food......................

Just now, Longcol said:

Large sectors of British farming could go bust so the UK will have to rely even more on imported food......................

That is always a risk with farming. If it's too hot then the crops dry up, its too wet and the crops get waterlogged and rot etc etc, the foods that are mainly seasonal we can do without for a while without much hardship. Someone on another thread mentioned that Asparagus (grown as a cash crop) will be left to rot as no one is around to pick it, now just how many people do you know in the UK that eat asparagus. Will we have to import it na....

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

That is always a risk with farming. If it's too hot then the crops dry up, its too wet and the crops get waterlogged and rot etc etc, the foods that are mainly seasonal we can do without for a while without much hardship. Someone on another thread mentioned that Asparagus (grown as a cash crop) will be left to rot as no one is around to pick it, now just how many people do you know in the UK that eat asparagus. Will we have to import it na....

Not all people in the UK live near Manor Top...........................................

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Not all people in the UK live near Manor Top...........................................

Thank GOD, be a bit crowded if they did!!!! :)

Asparagus is know to be a cash crop and mainly exported as it is popular with classy restaurants.

But just to put the record straight... I don't live near Manor Top either.... :hihi:

Edited by apelike

10 hours ago, apelike said:

I do, as does my family, we all love it, especially with steamed salmon...:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Longy67 said:

I do, as does my family, we all love it, especially with steamed salmon...:thumbsup:

Me too, not too keen on the side effects though, lol.

12 hours ago, apelike said:

I bought some asparagus from Aldi just last week and it was grown in the uk.

EDIT - it's still got be picked though, by people regardless of where it is grown. The last lot I got was produced in Mexico or somewhere.

Edited by tinfoilhat

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I bought some asparagus from Aldi just last week and it was grown in the uk.

EDIT - it's still got be picked though, by people regardless of where it is grown. The last lot I got was produced in Mexico or somewhere.

But that is the problem, it does not have to be picked. Do you think as this time it is OK to fly in thousands of pickers into the UK without controls or testing to see if they have the virus just to pick some fruit or veg that we can honestly do without for a while?

7 minutes ago, apelike said:

But that is the problem, it does not have to be picked. Do you think as this time it is OK to fly in thousands of pickers into the UK without controls or testing to see if they have the virus just to pick some fruit or veg that we can honestly do without for a while?

Given the numbers we've got and the numbers of say - Bulgaria- the poor pickers are much much more likely to get here from farmer Giles than bring it in with them.

Or, this is just a wild though - test everyone who comes in.

Edited by tinfoilhat

21 minutes ago, apelike said:

The answer is yes.

The government's pathetic response has effectively make it no longer an issue. We will now have tens of thousands more die, we can no longer prevent that. 

It isn't just the variety of food that you consider a luxury. It is the actual food itself. If it isn't picked, it is wasted and businesses go under and more strain will be put on the welfare state. 

I personally don't care either way, my job is recession proof. The problem from all this is that the social divide with inevitably widen a lot. We will not be on the wrong side, but i have gone beyond caring for the ones less fortunate than me. If you can't be bothered to help yourselves, then why should I?

2 hours ago, apelike said:

I simply do not believe that anybody is so dense as you are making out.

What the hell you talking about it - it does not have to be picked.  Of course it bloody does.  

Someone's entire livelihood is based upon making a profit from their efforts in growing that produce.  Those food items that they have produced then becomes the first step in a huge chain of food supply.

There are manufacturers who will use that raw ingredient to produce a whole range of items which we consumers will be expecting to be able to purchase.   

There are wholesalers, catering services, food vendors, and other retailers who need that produce to fulfill their own business demands and earn their own livelihoods. 

Just how exactly do you think the supermarket shelves get filled and food products that we are queuing up to buy get made.  Feeding the nation isn't done by magic pixie dust and fairy farts.  

Just take 2 seconds to look at the bigger picture.  You are talking absolute nonsense.

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I simply do not believe that anybody is so dense as you are making out.

What the hell you talking about it - it does not have to be picked.  Of course it bloody does. 

Every asparagus growers new best friend!

Introducing the Geiger-Lund selective asparagus harvester: Model 2020

Rumanians must work out cheaper or the farmer is a Luddite.