Electric Bikes - How Fast?

I was just waiting outside the Chemist on East Bank Road and a man came up going at a good speed, about 10 minutes later he came back down going much faster. I could hear the whirring of the motor so I'm assuming it was running on the motor. I looked quite good fun, even if a bit dangerous.

So the question - How fast do these bikes go?

Or do they "alter" them to go much faster than they were designed for?

15mph is the legal limit with power assistance. As fast as you want without.

I believe the ones that work without power assistance were made illegal a few years ago, although ones made before the law change are OK.

Thanks for the info.

The bike in question looked like a mountain bike but was going way faster than 15mph up the hill and he wasn't using his legs for power!

I assume you can go as fast as the speed limit downhill

4 minutes ago, RJRB said:

If you can get up to that speed by pedalling. The bikes have to stop assisting you if you exceed 15.5 MPH.

2 minutes ago, altus said:

If you can get up to that speed by pedalling. The bikes have to stop assisting you if you exceed 15.5 MPH.

I wonder how they came to the .5? I've not looked on Google but as a guess it probably matches a metric speed. The bloke on the one I saw must have "tinkered" with the limiting hardware. More speed but less miles from the battery.

As they say, you learn something new every day!

6 minutes ago, zach said:

I wonder how they came to the .5? I've not looked on Google but as a guess it probably matches a metric speed. The bloke on the one I saw must have "tinkered" with the limiting hardware. More speed but less miles from the battery.

It does - it's about 25 km/h

17 minutes ago, zach said:

Pretty sure that for some suppliers, if you sign a waiver that it's for off road use only, they will send you whatever is required to delimit the speed.

I achieved 30.1 mph on my pushbike going downhill earlier this week, without using my legs.

13 hours ago, RJRB said:

Does the speed limit apply to e-bikes?

I would imagine their not classified as motor vehicles and so not subject to the motor vehicle speed restrictions.

54 minutes ago, biotechpete said:

Does the speed limit apply to e-bikes?

I would imagine their not classified as motor vehicles and so not subject to the motor vehicle speed restrictions.

As they are suppored to stop assisting you before they reach 20MPH it's a bit of a moot point - the situation would be the same as for cyclists.

If you do have an e-bike that can take you beyond the speed limit they get classed as motorcycles so you'd presumably get done for not having a registration plate, insurance, a helmet, etc. as well.