Walk Around Damflask During Lockdown?

Guest busdriver1
2 minutes ago, bluecanary said:

That's rather harsh, since the OP came on here to get feedback on whether or not it was acceptable. It's a bad state of affairs when someone is "shamed" just for asking a question!

Why is it a bad state of affairs? There have been plenty on here offering "advice" that there are no legal reasons etc to comply with the guidance. Just get with it, take on board some responsibility and show a bit of restraint. These places will still be there after the lockdown.

5 minutes ago, kidley said:

Government guidance says that, even when doing these activities, you should be minimising the time spent outside the home and ensuring you are two metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

My Bold

jmack get in the spirit of the guidelines, its such people with your attitude that is spreading this virus. 

Indeed, but with due respect to yourself, you are not the sole arbiter of what is within the spirit of the guidelines. In trying times, perhaps we should be pulling together and not pointing the finger at others who hold a different view or interpretation of what is indeed guidance.

The guidance from the policing college which I linked to in post #15 is very clear that there is no time limit for exercise and that exercise can be taken more than once a day.

Different people have very widely differing fitness levels and needs for exercise ( on a both physical and psychological well-being basis ). So long as they do that reasonably safely and with respect for others, I can’t really see why any of us should have an issue with what each individual decides is right for them

Quote Planner1: 

Different people have very widely differing fitness levels and needs for exercise ( on a both physical and psychological well-being basis ). So long as they do that reasonably safely and with respect for others, I can’t really see why any of us should have an issue with what each individual decides is right for them.

It would be an issue if hundreds of individuals decided that what was right for them is to have a walk round Dam Flask at the weekend.  Look what happened in Florida when thousands of folk decided that it was right for them to go to the beach - link.

1 hour ago, kidley said:

C&P

While there is no official guidance, Minister for the Cabinet Office Michael Gove said a “walk of up to an hour” would be appropriate for most people as their daily exercise during the lockdown.

Well, obviously it depends on each individual’s fitness,” he told BBC’s Marr programme.

“But I would have thought that for most a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate.”

Government guidance says that, even when doing these activities, you should be minimising the time spent outside the home and ensuring you are two metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

My Bold

jmack get in the spirit of the guidelines, its such people with your attitude that is spreading this virus. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/how-long-time-outside-exercising-4016765

Yeah that doesn't diminish my point 

Michael Gove musing on Andrew Marr has no basis in law whatsoever. 

I live in a semi-rural area and go out for a long walk every day, I'm never with 2 meters of anybody else and I don't care what Mr Gove says or thinks about that. 

1 hour ago, Jomie said:

It would be an issue if hundreds of individuals decided that what was right for them is to have a walk round Dam Flask at the weekend.  Look what happened in Florida when thousands of folk decided that it was right for them to go to the beach - link.

Then those people would be idiots. It doesn't, well shouldn't, really matter who goes where as long as they don't lounge around, keep mmoving and keep 2m apart. If I turned up at a full car park, I'd go home!

2 hours ago, Jomie said:

Well, we’ve been living under these restrictions for a while now and it hasn’t happened yet, so is it likely and should we be concerned? No to both I’d think.

People have a mind of their own and can observe and decide for themselves whether they want to be in a place or not.  The authorities also have the means to deal with any behaviour deemed to be unlawful.

The Florida episode was apparently the first easing of lockdown in that area. A lot of folk naturally headed for the beach and looks like it got a bit busy. Did it cause a big problem? Have we seen reports of masses of people out there not observing the distancing guidlines since then? I certainly haven’t. If the authorities over there thought it was a problem, they’d deal with it. Is it anything we need to be concerned about? Probably not I’d think.

25 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Well, we’ve been living under these restrictions for a while now and it hasn’t happened yet, so is it likely and should we be concerned? No to both I’d think.

People have a mind of their own and can observe and decide for themselves whether they want to be in a place or not.  The authorities also have the means to deal with any behaviour deemed to be unlawful.

The Florida episode was apparently the first easing of lockdown in that area. A lot of folk naturally headed for the beach and looks like it got a bit busy. Did it cause a big problem? Have we seen reports of masses of people out there not observing the distancing guidlines since then? I certainly haven’t. If the authorities over there thought it was a problem, they’d deal with it. Is it anything we need to be concerned about? Probably not I’d think.

Did it cause a big problem..!  What planet are you actually on?

The problem will be seen later down the line...Not immediately.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 08:52, beefface said:

May fancy a spring stroll around the reservoir over the weekend. Anyone aware if this is permissible, or will I risk ‘drawing the heat’?

Just so long as you don't have to drive a long way then there is no reason why you shouldn't walk round Damflask, or anywhere else, quite apart from anything else, it's a much more effective way to social distance than everyone crowding into the parks. TBH the only reason why you should avoid a long drive is because it increases your chance of an accident *  with the consequent increase in the load on the emergency services and NHS. That said the NHS are not under pressure at the moment anyway, and don't take my word for it (or anyone else's), ask anyone who works in a hospital. On the subject of avoiding pressure on emergency services via car accidents, I'd have thought a much more effective strategy would be to target the appalling drivers we're seeing even more than usual......

* though if you're a careful driver we really are clutching at straws here.

Don't you wish we lived in Sweden....

Edited by Justin Smith

Everyone is able to interpret the guidance slightly differently, and some use snippets of advice or musings of a minister to back up their interpretation while ignoring or minimising the rest of the advice, or commentary from actual experts.

The key issue is not how far you drive or how long you spend outside - it's minimising the risk of you not being able to maintain social distancing, therefore not spreading or catching the virus. You'll be more of a burden to the system if you have a mental breakdown worrying about what you can and cannot do, and I don't really much like the idea of a society so eager to shop their neighbour for two trips to Tescos this week! The guidance isn't perfect, and the spirit of the guidance isn't to meet the most draconian lowest common denominator - it's just trying to keep everyone safe. Things don't make sense - it is unfair we can be crammed into supermarkets with (IME) everyone ignoring the one way systems and social distancing efforts they are putting place to help us - yet we couldn't play golf alone, or go fishing or any number of solo pursuits where you may never encounter another person. Arguing about who can go where and how long they can do it isn't helping anyone though.

I've been driving my family around to different places not in an effort to flout the rules - but to minimise the chances we'll meet other people. I'm not sure I would personally pick damflask as there are 5 of us and might be hard to get out of the way of another group coming the other way, but I don't begrudge anyone else checking it out.

22 hours ago, Jomie said:

Exactly. People think to themselves "ooo, how novel would it be to walk around a deserted Dam Flask, or Rivelin or Graves Park, to have it all to ourselves on a nice day, it will be really surreal that woudn't it? Yeah, lets go there..." And then they get there and find loads and loads of of other people have the same idea! 🙄

Edited by Ruddy76

49 minutes ago, Ruddy76 said:

Exactly. People think to themselves "ooo, how novel would it be to walk around a deserted Dam Flask, or Rivelin or Graves Park, to have it all to ourselves on a nice day, it will be really surreal that woudn't it? Yeah, lets go there..." And then they get there and find loads and loads of of other people have the same idea! 🙄

Think you are rather missing the point of it being a bad comparison (Florida and here) because the situations are very different.

In Florida, the lockdown meant that the beaches were closed.

They then lifted the lockdown and allowed limited access to the beaches, which prompted thousands to turn up.

Here, on the other hand, the places you are talking about have remained open throughout and they have not tended to attract major crowds, so there is no reason to expect them to in future.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Think you are rather missing the point of it being a bad comparison (Florida and here) because the situations are very different.

In Florida, the lockdown meant that the beaches were closed.

They then lifted the lockdown and allowed limited access to the beaches, which prompted thousands to turn up.

Here, on the other hand, the places you are talking about have remained open throughout and they have not tended to attract major crowds, so there is no reason to expect them to in future.

If its a nice hot summer the urge to visit Rivelin and Forge Dam etc, will be irresistible.