Walk Around Damflask During Lockdown?

I went for a walk in Abbeydale woods the other week.  It's about 15 mins from my door.  It was crowded with other walkers, cyclists etc.  If I drive up to Fox House, which is 1.5 miles exactly, and takes about 5 minutes, I can walk in open countryside and hardly see a soul.  I think I know which is "safer" and best for everyone.  

It's also about mental health.  And being confined to the same area for any length of time isn't good for that.  

I admit I have changed my views on this.  A few weeks ago I was driving a bit further out, into Derbyshire, to enjoy peace and quiet in the Dales, but I've exercised some restriction on doing that, because I don't feel I can justify it.  However I still see nothing wrong in jumping in the car for 5 minutes to be able to walk in an area where I am very unlikely to bump into loads of other people.

11 hours ago, Becky B said:

People have still been running round there.  I haven't, as the path is quite narrow in places and I wouldn't be able to distance appropriately in many places.  You know that's exactly where you're going to meet someone!

I know it's not quite the same but you can walk round most of the dam on the pavement.

A bit further afield but just as nice and not so busy - a walk round Agden dam.

10 hours ago, Jomie said:

Also, that walk is going to take longer than the stipulated one hour.

There is no ‘stipulated one hour’ for exercise.  Michael Gove was pressed to give some guidance on time spent exercising and gave a woolly, off the cuff response of along the lines of ‘I would of thought 30 minutes for a run, an hour walking or somewhere in between cycling’. For some reason this has been interpreted a rule by some people. 

1 hour ago, beefface said:

I suppose it was “lovely” 10 years ago, when only you could appreciate this beautiful spot. Now it has a well laid footpath and disabled access, which allow the awful masses to want share your quiet rural idyll, it’s now become “crowded” and “horrible” with people who don’t posses your “imagination”.  Ahh!

Some people want to go somewhere peaceful away from crowds for mental health and wellbeing. Nothing to do with snobbishness.  Obviously there are more pressing reasons for avoiding crowded places now.

Common sense seems to have died in this crisis. You can go out for exercise but it doesn't mean you can bend the advice to suit yourself.

all though you have been told to stay indoors time after time, and only go out for essential things, exercise being one of those, some people think they can spend all day out exercising, 

an exaggeration to make a point .

rephrased 

(some people on this thread) think they can go out and exercise for as long as they want:  

Edited by kidley
added reasoning

You should be alright. 

If the police pull you over (unlikely) you can explain that you're going for some exercise. If they query and ask to see your licence to get your address and you live the other side of town you'll probably get a ticking off and morality tale. 

I live quite near Dam Flask and if I was you I'd look at some of other reservoirs around that area. They aren't as crowded and are far less likely to have plod sniffing around them checking peoples postcodes.   

7 hours ago, kidley said:

all though you have been told to stay indoors time after time, and only go out for essential things, exercise being one of those, some people think they can spend all day out exercising, 

Is there any evidence of people spending ‘all day’ out exercising? From what I can tell the vast majority are following government requirements and many are going to great lengths to maintain social distancing when out (perhaps to point of being OTT but better than being irresponsible). 

But I wish some people wouldn’t get so het up about someone walking towards them having to move 2 metres to the side (which might involve walking in the road or climbing up a steep grassy bank) as soon as they spot you 200 metres in the distance!!!

Posts and those in the chain have been removed as they were not quoted correctly. Please make sure that when you quote the quote is not edited in anyway.

Edited by Groose

12 hours ago, kidley said:

an exaggeration to make a point .

rephrased 

(some people on this thread) think they can go out and exercise for as long as they want:  

Because they can. 

There is nothing in the Coronavirus bill that stipulates how long you can exercise. 

1 hour ago, Jmack said:

Because they can. 

There is nothing in the Coronavirus bill that stipulates how long you can exercise. 

C&P

While there is no official guidance, Minister for the Cabinet Office Michael Gove said a “walk of up to an hour” would be appropriate for most people as their daily exercise during the lockdown.

Well, obviously it depends on each individual’s fitness,” he told BBC’s Marr programme.

“But I would have thought that for most a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, depending on their level of fitness, is appropriate.”

Government guidance says that, even when doing these activities, you should be minimising the time spent outside the home and ensuring you are two metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

My Bold

jmack get in the spirit of the guidelines, its such people with your attitude that is spreading this virus. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/how-long-time-outside-exercising-4016765

Edited by kidley

2 minutes ago, kidley said:

jmack get in the spirit of the guidelines, its such people with your attitude that is spreading this virus. 

That's rather harsh, since the OP came on here to get feedback on whether or not it was acceptable. It's a bad state of affairs when someone is "shamed" just for asking a question!