Walk Around Damflask During Lockdown?

May fancy a spring stroll around the reservoir over the weekend. Anyone aware if this is permissible, or will I risk ‘drawing the heat’?

If it isn't local to you, you shouldn't travel there. If it is local and a reasonable distance, then it maybe permissible. However police may not see it that way.

3 minutes ago, Groose said:

If it isn't local to you, you shouldn't travel there. If it is local and a reasonable distance, then it maybe permissible. However police may not see it that way.

What would define “local and a reasonable distance”?

Edited by beefface

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?

We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.

You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.

We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors.

My defination of local/reasonable will be different from someone elses.  I.e There is a park within 20 mins walk from me, so that to me is local.

I dont believe there is any official guide as to 'reasonable', however if the police were to stop you, they would tell you what they deem as reasonable. Grey area.

I always think that a local and reasonable distance means you don't have to use any form of transport other than your feet or human powered vehicle. I regularly walk to the dam and round it before making my way back home (in better times this would have meant a stop off at a local hostelry but I always walked it back home) when the weather was up to it so for me this is a round trip of 12 or 13 miles. I haven't done this walk during the lock down, mainly because my other half wouldn't manage it but we have been for a couple 9 or 10 mile walks so if this lock down continues for much longer we may be able to do it together

5 minutes ago, Groose said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?

We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.

You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.

We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors.

My defination of local/reasonable will be different from someone elses.  I.e There is a park within 20 mins walk from me, so that to me is local.

I dont believe there is any official guide as to 'reasonable', however if the police were to stop you, they would tell you what they deem as reasonable. Grey area.

Thanks for replies. May take my chances, confident re dealing with plod, especially when I’m not breaking the law.

People have still been running round there.  I haven't, as the path is quite narrow in places and I wouldn't be able to distance appropriately in many places.  You know that's exactly where you're going to meet someone!

one hour a day local exercise means,no more than half hour walk-jog etc there, and half hour walk-jog back home os any derivative there of, and no driving to beauty spots to exercise. els the Derbyshire Police will catch you with there drones.

1 hour ago, beefface said:

Thanks for replies. May take my chances, confident re dealing with plod, especially when I’m not breaking the law.

I think the key thing is how you approach the boys and girls in blue if challenged. If you're polite and friendly and explain that you're out for a walk for the good of your physical and mental health I think it'd be really difficult to end up being arrested or fined.

I suspect that many of those who have been pulled have simply had an 'arsey' attitude when challenged.

Yes you can, according to the guidance clarified in the Government Briefing last week, summarised here:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/drive-exercise-walk-dog-coronavirus-lockdown-uk-driving-rules-guidance-explained-2519644

Most notably (half way down the article), you can now:

"Drive to the countryside and go for a walk (where far more time is spent walking than driving)" 

Guess if you meet a plod you would have to hope they're up to date on the latest version of the guidelines!

As someone has already said, some of the paths there can be quite narrow, so maybe better to stick to local streets or parks if that's possible?

Beefface - you seem to be looking at this the wrong way. The restriction on movement is about saving lives, not whether there is a risk of ‘drawing the heat’.  You are one person wanting to walk this route but it is a well known beauty spot that attracts folk from many different locales. It has the potential for the gathering of a  number of people. Also, that walk is going to take longer than the stipulated one hour.  The lockdown in this country is far less draconian than in some others and if we don’t want further restrictions we must abide by the law. 

Groose has the right idea - if you have to use transport, no more than a twenty minute drive.  We need to remember that activity, in particular driving can increase problems for other people eg breakdowns, accidents.  Stay home and stay safe - you can walk around Dam Flask another time. Sadly, for many people that won’t be possible. 

Edited by Jomie

3 hours ago, beefface said:

Well you may be breaking the law. The law is not very clear on this issue. OTOH the latter may mean plod won't bother with you.

1 hour ago, bluecanary said:

Yes you can, according to the guidance clarified in the Government Briefing last week, summarised here:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/drive-exercise-walk-dog-coronavirus-lockdown-uk-driving-rules-guidance-explained-2519644

Most notably (half way down the article), you can now:

"Drive to the countryside and go for a walk (where far more time is spent walking than driving)" 

This combines with the "reasonable excuse" to be out of the house clause though, again muddying the waters. Is it a reasonable excuse if you drove 30 mins away when you live on the edge of countryside you can walk in or on the edge of a large park in a city?  I think in other words you may drive, but only if there are no truly local walking options for you.