Sign in to follow this  

Home-Movie Dvd To Digital Format

Hi, 

I have a collection of home-movies that was converted to DVD from it's original format. One of the clips is one of the last ones that feature my Dad who passed a few years ago & now we're moving away from optical media etc I want to preserve the footage as my Mum often watches old home movies due to failing memory in her old age. 

I've tried using VLC to rip the DVD to MP4 but every time it screws the audio up after the first few mins.

Is there any software, free or little cost, that I can use without it screwing up?

NB: There is no copyright infringement issues, as part of our family I own copyright to the footage being discussed.

You should be able to use Handbrake just fine for that. It's free.

https://handbrake.fr/

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/rip-dvds-using-handbrake

Not sure why VLC had issues with the audio though; make sure the DVD is clean and plays fine on the PC in case there was something on the surface or a scratch.

It could be the drive that's causing the problem. If you browse the DVD you should find the mpeg files. First job is to get a couple of good copies of those to your PC and external/cloud.

I would then work with the files on the HDD, not the DVD drive. I'm not sure if Handbrake might work better. Maybe MKVtoolnix for extracting/muxing

2 hours ago, the_bloke said:

You should be able to use Handbrake just fine for that. It's free.

https://handbrake.fr/

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/rip-dvds-using-handbrake

Not sure why VLC had issues with the audio though; make sure the DVD is clean and plays fine on the PC in case there was something on the surface or a scratch.

2 hours ago, zach said:

It could be the drive that's causing the problem. If you browse the DVD you should find the mpeg files. First job is to get a couple of good copies of those to your PC and external/cloud.

I would then work with the files on the HDD, not the DVD drive. I'm not sure if Handbrake might work better. Maybe MKVtoolnix for extracting/muxing

When I rip using VLC the first few mins of audio work perfectly then the audio will hang for a few seconds then resume so the video is then x amount of seconds ahead of the audio. 

DVD is pristine. It's my copy from when the original was made and I've never had it out of it's jewel case till now. Plays flawlessly on the PC.

Thanks for the links, I shall give them a go

I only mentioned a copy/backup as you said it was a family video. Not something you want to risk getting damaged or lost, it's definitely worth backing it up.

As for audio/video not in sync. It can be many things that cause it. PC power, software used and video format etc. I tend to only use .mkv in x264 in mst cases. I've not done a DVD for a while but depending how it's written, the videos should be in the VideoTS folder on the DVD. You'll find that any program works better from a hard drive than it does reading data from a CD/DVD, that was the other reason to copy (multiple times) just in case you drop a clanger! Keep the work copy separate from the backup copy.

I find handbrake very easy to use and should encode to any format you'll use. Also try other players, I use Kodi, MPC-HC and VLC mainly

Use MakeMKV, it does the ripping and creates an mkv file, nothing difficult about it :)