Looking For A Better Bank/ Building Society

Hi,
    After the 2008 World Bank crisis like a lot of other people the blinds finally fell off & I now recognise that most of the banking industry are just a bunch of "robber barons" Over the last few
years I've got more & more ticked off with the attitude of the banks I've used.
Putting up with their arrogance etc is bad enough but when you raise a dispute over an internet transaction & Visa try to scam you that's definitely stepping over the line. So, the banks building
societies I'm ticked off with are - Lloyds ( who own Royal Bank of Scotland, Halifax & MBNA etc ), Nationwide Building Society & Yorkshire Building Society.
  If I were to ask for a recommendation for a good bank or building society ( preferably in the city centre ) I suspect I'd be setting my aim too high so I'm prepared to settle for reasonable or
least worst! - TIA

First Direct (part of HSBC). Also using Revolut for weekly shop etc (good for other currencies too). Take a look at who offers the best switching bonuses right now; assuming they still do..

Leeds BS Pinstone Street

Coventry BS and

Nottingham BS on Norfolk Row

In that order for customer service.

All have pass book accounts.

Offers, if any change regularly so use their websites .

I've got no other interest apart  from being a current account holder, but I have always found Santander very good in terms of  general service both at branch level and mobile internet banking. The switch to them from my previous bankers some years ago also went like clockwork, something I had dreaded but was pleasantly surprised with.  

I've been a Yorkshire Bank customer for donkeys years but they are so bad I'm thinking of changing, just concerned it's out of the frying pan into the fire.

1 hour ago, silverglade5 said:

I've got no other interest apart  from being a current account holder, but I have always found Santander very good in terms of  general service both at branch level and mobile internet banking. The switch to them from my previous bankers some years ago also went like clockwork, something I had dreaded but was pleasantly surprised with.  

Just a shame their 123 account is less generous than it used to be.

Yes, you're right Bargepole, they have 'salami sliced' interest  on their 123 account from 3% originally for balances over £1000 to 1.5% now 1%.  Moving the goal posts is annoying,  but taken overall I'm still quite happy with them due to their otherwise good performance.

I’ve.  been  with Starling since June 2017 and I think they’re outstanding, especially (when we can go) overseas - Mastercard spot rate on purchases and ATM withdrawals overseas with no charges. They ‘ping’ you after every transaction and the whole thing is on-line. Like other banks you can photograph cheques under £500 and send them and over £500 send them  by Freepost Starling.

I’m still with the legacy banks - Lloyds for c 60 years, and Nationwide but Starling beats ‘em !

Starling sounds like it could be in the same category as Revolut? Awesome app, and brilliant (bank spot rate) for currency exchange.

I use it more for daily spending (and some currency exchange) and don’t keep a lot in it, keep topping up from my main traditional account. I also have it linked to ApplePay, which is particularly useful given the health concerns of using cash nowadays.

Edited by Waldo

My first ever bank account was with Midland Bank which became HSBC and have never found a need to move.  Great current account if you managed to get the Aspects cover which is no longer available for new customers.  I also use HSBC for great mortgage deals and share dealings via Investdirect.  HSBC has the second largest reserves behind JP Morgan.  HSBC didn’t need a bailout in the 2008 crash and won’t need one now.  If your money isn’t safe with them, we have far bigger problems.

59 minutes ago, silverglade5 said:

Yes, you're right Bargepole, they have 'salami sliced' interest  on their 123 account from 3% originally for balances over £1000 to 1.5% now 1%.  Moving the goal posts is annoying,  but taken overall I'm still quite happy with them due to their otherwise good performance.

Puting money in a savings account when interest rates are so low just doesn't make sense anymore.  I am taking advantage of the depressed stock market to bag a few really good deals.  To minimise my risk I only buy into FTSE 100 companies and steer clear of the obvious industries in trouble, such as oil, airlines etc.  My current portfolio is going to enjoy an annual dividend yield of 10%+ once things are back to normal.  No bank is ever going to give you those rates.

I'm with you classicfan.  All banks are in business to make money out of you and the less money you have the more they make out of you proportionately.  The Co-op is no different but at least they don't invest in anything unethical.  Apart from having to travel 16 miles to my nearest branch (which would be the same if I was with any other bank now), I have no issues with their services.  I switched to the Co-op from TSB over 20 years ago and  I am happy to stay with them.