Need Advice On A Laptop Purchase.

I want to buy a laptop for only one reason. Playing Football Manager. 15inch screen as a minimum.

The requirements of the game are as follows, but I want to play at above average performance.

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 (64-bit), Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 – 2.2 GHz + Memory: 2 GB RAM. Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM. DirectX

can anyone advise me? Budget is around £600, but if I can spend less then great!

That's an old PC spec so most things you buy would be OK :) Plenty in your price range. Dell, HP, Acer all fine.

2 hours ago, probedb said:

That's an old PC spec so most things you buy would be OK :) Plenty in your price range. Dell, HP, Acer all fine.

you have to take into consideration that with a modern spec pc/laptop he may run into compatibility issues with a game that old.

14 hours ago, PlayStation said:

you have to take into consideration that with a modern spec pc/laptop he may run into compatibility issues with a game that old.

That was not what the OP asked. That's an entirely separate problem and nothing to do with the laptop specs 🤷‍♂️

And with Windows 10, you can select a "compatability mode" on games, to make them think they're running on an older version of Windows...it usually works 😂

5 hours ago, probedb said:

That was not what the OP asked. That's an entirely separate problem and nothing to do with the laptop specs 🤷‍♂️

Actually he has a legitimate point. There are some legacy pieces of software that doesn't run if the core clock is above 2GHz. That is kind of a problem if you see where core clock speed is now don't you think?

11 hours ago, probedb said:

but what you said is implying that it doesn't matter as a newer spec laptop is more powerful than those specs. that is not the case here.

there is old games i use to play in the XP days that don't play on my W10 HP laptop with a i5 cpu and 8GB RAM. running in compatibility mode doesn't solve this.

there is many other things to take into consideration. just because a modern laptop is far superior to those outdated specs doesn't mean it will run the game.

Edited by PlayStation

Who said it's an old game?

Football Manager 2020 is not an old game, it's the newest release....
The spec the OP posted is for this NEWER version also...
it's all good offering help, and advise, but make sure it's accurate info....

And to the OP,  £600 for a laptop to play that is overkill, Do you have any ideas in mind already I/we could take a look at or would you just like some straight links to some?

21 hours ago, _lecro_ said:

Who said it was Football Manager 2020 .. ?

those minimum requirements look more like the specs for Football Manager 2005 !

the OP said "Football Manager"

the specs they listed are for Football Manager 2020

Old(er) Versions (pre 2010) might not work on Windows 10 any ways, so likely wouldn't really be a 2005 version!

Edited by Ghozer

The end of this thread might help:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/457109-new-laptoppc-advice-please-read-the-opening-post/page/67/

And specifically about FM!