Foods And Drinks That You Still Miss

The recent supermarket shortages got me to thinking about foods and drinks that I used to love in years gone by,   but which are no longer available in the shops these days. The first ones that came to my mind were Nescafe Blend 37 instant coffee - and Findus Crispy Pancakes. The Blend 37 coffee is still sold on Amazon - although it's quite expensive - but the crispy pancakes seem to have disappeared from the face of the earth.(Yes, I know they were crappy "junk food", but I really used to like them as an occasional treat)!

Which old-style foods and drinks do you still miss being able to get hold of?

You can still buy Findus Crispy Pancakes at Asda, Tesco and Iceland.  Aldi do Crispy Pancakes too but I don't know if they're Findus.

the little tiny box's of soup - my fav was the thick pea

(Add water type - box no bigger than a box of Oxo cubes)

I still miss the old glass ketchup bottles that you had to shake like mad to get anything out and when some did come out you never new how much you would get. No fun these plastic bottles and I think its thinner than it used to be

2 minutes ago, Pkingy said:

I still miss the old glass ketchup bottles that you had to shake like mad to get anything out and when some did come out you never new how much you would get. No fun these plastic bottles and I think its thinner than it used to be

Agree 

HP Brown sauce - never the same after they stopped making it here & shipped it over to the Neterlands

Interesting reply fancypants! I live in South East London and regularly shop in Asda, Tesco, Iceland and Aldi - but I haven't seen crispy pancakes available for years now...either Findus or "own brand" versions.

I also agree with pkingy and RockersRule that, although they are still available, some things like tomato ketchup and HP Sauce  have definitely changed for the worse down the years.  Henderson's Relish is a prime example! I still love it, it's still great stuff and I still bring a few bottles home with me every time I visit my family in Sheffield - but there is no doubt that it's really changed down the years. In the old days, it was dark brown in colour, a bit cloudy and murky and a bit thicker in consistency. These days it's jet black, very thin  and clear in consistency - and very garlicky! I love garlic- but in Henderson's, so much garlic just seems a bit wrong somehow....😁

They don't taste the same though!

I saw some Crispy pancakes in Sainsburys last year - ham and cheese, my fave flavour when I was a kid.

When I got them home, cooked them & got them out of the oven, I was so disappointed. There was hardly any filling at all, very miserly portion :mad:

Foods that I miss are Terry's Neopolitans, Marks and Spencer's Winter Vegetable soup, and that old favourite of mine Mather's Black Beer. Mixed with Lemonade it was delicious - Christmas isn't the same without it :(

On 19/04/2020 at 17:39, Rockers rule said:

the little tiny box's of soup - my fav was the thick pea

(Add water type - box no bigger than a box of Oxo cubes)

Yes I remember those! They were either made by Knorr or Batchelors

Was talking to someone last year about the fact I couldnt find hard liquorice  sticks anywhere . The ones that were about 6 inch long , round but the end was flat with the makers name on it ( Maynards, Bassetts ?) . Got delivered 100 sticks for Christmas . Not bad but dont taste as  I remembered ( not strong enough ) . Maybe we lose taste buds as we get older .

Tesco used to do a Southern Fried Chicken Box of drumsticks and thighs (no chips)- tasted better than the KFC they were clearly imitating (packaging etc), and just took 20 mins in the oven, and at around half the KFC price.  Marvelous.  I used to put them in the oven, nip out and buy some chips, then have them together.  Great meal!  Then for some reason they stopped doing it.  Still miss it many many years later!

1 minute ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Tesco used to do a Southern Fried Chicken Box of drumsticks and thighs (no chips)- tasted better than the KFC they were clearly imitating (packaging etc), and just took 20 mins in the oven, and at around half the KFC price.  Marvelous.  I used to put them in the oven, nip out and buy some chips, then have them together.  Great meal!  Then for some reason they stopped doing it.  Still miss it many many years later!

Iceland have similar now but never tried them .

Thanks - I'll look there and check, but most similar are filled with mustard and onion that they didn't used to be, they spoil and mask the taste.  Seems like food manufacturers take food, add cheap onion and mustard and claim it enhances the taste of whatever they are selling.