Gees Decorators Merchants

Does anyone remember,or worked at Gees on Shoreham Street.

I worked there in the 60s, what is your mums name?

I think she was known as "Big Win" - there was a "Little Win" too.

Recently came across a couple of pictures of staff from there.

I worked at Gees when it was on Norfolk Street and then moved to Shoreham Street and worked there until 1965.

Those who worked at Norfolk Street may remember Derek Gratwick, known as Dick to his workmates and his colleague Stan Marsh.

Derek was killed (in July 1960)  whilst driving a van for Gees and Stan was with him at the time in another Gees Van.

Edited by Organgrinder
left something out

Hi.

I worked at Shoreham street from 1965 to 1969,in 65 i would have been a van driver,my name is Jack Vickers.

Stan Marsh was a sales rep. when i was there.

Edited by jackanne
add comment.

My sister Winnie Dolby worked there quite a long time.

I started work at Gees in Norfolk Street in April '61 and Stan Marsh was Manager at that time. When they moved to Shoreham Street, Stan was replaced by one of the sales reps, Brian Rattigan. Stan then went out as a sales rep to replace Brian. Don't know if you remember names like Alan Elliott, Colin Craft, Malcolm Linley, Charlie and Brian Grant, Doug James, Don Staves, Don Gratwick, Ray Bamford, John Firminger, Bob Reid jnr & snr, Harry Bennett, Stan Ogden........could keep going! My name's Tom Porter.

I didn't know that Don Gratwick also worked at Gees.

Don was  the twin brother to Derek who I mentioned in my post but Derek's time there was obviously before any of you folks joined the company.

Certainly a lot of years ago now but most people remember those years with fondness.

I remember some of those names Tom Porter,i think i remember you but you left not long after i started,I kept in touch with Alan Eliott

for a few years,he ran a few pubs in Sheffield.I was recently in touch with John Firminger on facebook,he is still active on the Sheffield music scene and can be found on Thursday nights,with his son Chris hosting an open mic night at the White Lion at Heeley.

I met my wife at Gees,we have just had our golden anniversary this year.