Increased Hostility To Cyclists During The Lockdown

On 16/04/2020 at 14:17, fatrajah said:

It was an offence to wheel a bike along the pavement let alone ride along it.

No it isnt.

4 minutes ago, TrickyDickie said:

No it isnt.

Fatrajah said it WAS an offence, not that it is...

Edited by nikki-red

Just now, nikki-red said:

Fatrajah said it WAS an offence, not that it is...

Yes, sorry, not using my words properly. Its never been an offence to push a pedal cycle on the footpath. 

On 16/04/2020 at 19:20, Waldo said:

It does mention only once a day though, regarding exercise.

I'm curious as to the legalities of this though, if there are no actual laws prohibiting you go out; how can the police issue fines (or a magistrate impose a tougher fine)?

There are - under the emergency legislation its illegal to leave your house unless you have a reasonable excuse. Exercise is given an as an example which may be considered a reasonable excuse (though likely not if you drive from here to Snowdonia for your walk!).

Further to my grouse on April 16, I have today seen literally more cyclists on the footpath/pavement than on the road.

Why do you insist on doing this?!

At present there's (supposedly) less traffic around, so get on the bloody road!

26 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Further to my grouse on April 16, I have today seen literally more cyclists on the footpath/pavement than on the road.

Probably because they haven't ridden a bike for years but it's yet another convenient excuse to spend more time outside because they feel that they are untouchable in terms of the virus and it's just hard luck for anyone else.

It's the same with the hundreds of new faces who have suddenly taken up jogging and heaven help any old lady walking on the same path.

Edited by Lex Luthor

36 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

A couple of reasons should cover most of it : 

: Fewer cars, but higher speeds from some of the cars still around.

: People who recently got back on their bikes, and don't feel safe in the road at that point in their journey.

Our street was pretty quiet before all this lockdown stuff, but with the marked reduction in traffic I've seen loads of people, of all ages, out on their bikes. It's great!

They say you can't judge the need for a bridge by counting the people swimming across the river.

But maybe you can judge the need for proper cycle routes by counting the people who cycle on the pavement...

Edited by ads36

3 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Where was this? I've seen one adult cycling on the pavement, who caused no issue whatsoever, and dozens on the road, again going about their business without affecting anyone else.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Where was this? I've seen one adult cycling on the pavement, who caused no issue whatsoever, and dozens on the road, again going about their business without affecting anyone else.

Lucky you.

Dronfield to Unstone.

All speeds, all ages.

What really <removed> me off is the way that the riders seem to adopt the higher ground, expecting pedestrians to get out of their way! 

Edited by nikki-red

9 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Lucky you.

Dronfield to Unstone.

All speeds, all ages.

What really <removed> me off is the way that the riders seem to adopt the higher ground, expecting pedestrians to get out of their way! 

Ok. That's a wide open road from memory, and probably a fair bit of fast driving along it. I personally wouldn't ride on the path, but I can see that less confident riders might want to.

Seems like a bit of consideration towards pedestrians would go a long way in allowing a bit of shared use.

And today's winner already. I suspect  - by noon on Sunday - is the cyclist with only one hand steering, because his other hand was busy holding his sheepdog's lead, both on the pavement.

How bloody stupid can you get. All it needed was one child/other dog/car to come out of a drive/around a corner, and bang....