Increased Hostility To Cyclists During The Lockdown

Just now, RootsBooster said:

The full sentence is "There are no actual laws prohibiting you from going further afield though."

...in the context of exercise. 

I bet there's no law saying I can't go fishing (It's mental exercise) I wouldnt be be near anyone but I bet I'd get my collar felt and, if I'm honest, rightly so. Do we need a thread to see how far we can push the fairly simple message?

It's probably not helpful when you have idiots in charge of cycling groups planning a mass gathering & ride (I'm aware that the event actually didn't take place, but this was only due to the backlash online & in media)

IE5LhIs.jpg

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I bet there's no law saying I can't go fishing (It's mental exercise) I wouldnt be be near anyone but I bet I'd get my collar felt and, if I'm honest, rightly so. Do we need a thread to see how far we can push the fairly simple message?

I can't see how you could possibly call fishing a form of exercise, mental or physical.

In which case, there is a law against it. 

Edited by RootsBooster

1 minute ago, RootsBooster said:

I can't see how you could possibly call fishing a form of exercise, mental or physical.

Which law???

16 minutes ago, Resident said:

It's probably not helpful when you have idiots in charge of cycling groups planning a mass gathering & ride (I'm aware that the event actually didn't take place, but this was only due to the backlash online & in media)

IE5LhIs.jpg

Yeah,  that's pretty dumb. 

It almost seems like a satirical post but it's probably real.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Which law???

Health protection regulations 2020

Here

9 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

I know someone who swears by it as a form of meditation. Therefore good for mental health.

But I suppose if one person does it, no harm done, but if loads more do it, you have a problem.

Edited by Anna B

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I know someone who swears by it as a form of meditation. Therefore good for mental health.

But I suppose if one person does it, no harm done, but if loads more do it, you have a problem.

Mental exercise and meditation are not the same things,  they're almost opposites,  in fact

Edited by RootsBooster

3 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

Yeah,  that's pretty dumb. 

It almost seems like a satirical post but it's probably real.

Health protection regulations 2020

Here

Page not found. 

However, I’d argue against the mental exercise - that’s a really broad brush. More or less stimulating than a crossword? Debatable.

Physical exercise? Lugging my kit from the car park is always hard work, but then admittedly I’m sat on my arse for hours, but often “active”. However, fly fishing would present a challenge. If I’m walking a river - cast a bit, move on, cast a bit move on - I’m not sitting, I’m not within 2m of anyone. I’m walking, with short breaks, through a river.  Still illegal? 

If im fishing, the time I’m closest to other people would be in the car park. Just like any car park in the Peak District this weekend, which I suspect will be busy. In fact I’d be further away than people for say, 3 hours, than I would be in the busier spots of the Peak District.

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Dead right, but these half baked amendments are only going to confuse matters, and give more wiggle for those wanting to push the limits.

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Page not found.

I seem to have only partially copied the link, here it is

Been cycling on a local official bike trail through woods in my local area this week.   Twice small hostile dogs not on leads have chased me and have bit at my ankles drawing blood once.  Also a dog owner has had to approach me within 2 feet to put the dogs on their leads as they would not go back when called.   From now on when I go on this trail I will take my camera just in case this should  happen again.   I feel some hostility from the owners of dogs as If they have more rights to be on these trails than me?  I do not cycle fast or cause any problems, I  just want some fresh air.  These dogs are usually only small and  seem to just come running from gaps between bushes or trees with little warning.

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, Yosser said:

Been cycling on a local official bike trail through woods in my local area this week.   Twice small hostile dogs not on leads have chased me and have bit at my ankles drawing blood once.  Also a dog owner has had to approach me within 2 feet to put the dogs on their leads as they would not go back when called.   From now on when I go on this trail I will take my camera just in case this should  happen again.   I feel some hostility from the owners of dogs as If they have more rights to be on these trails than me?  I do not cycle fast or cause any problems, I  just want some fresh air.  These dogs are usually only small and  seem to just come running from gaps between bushes or trees with little warning.

They’ll be them ambush dogs. Hiding in trees waiting for people to bundle pass on bikes getting in peoples way instead of just cycling on roads if they want to.