Increased Hostility To Cyclists During The Lockdown

I'm noticing a lot of articles lately about growing animosity toward cyclists during the lockdown. After reading some of them it seems to be that many of the aggrieved seem to be confused about what you are/aren't allowed to do, also seem to misunderstand the level of risk posed by cyclists, compared to pedestrians. 

A few examples.. here, here & here

I've had a neighbour giving me disapproving looks when I go out for a ride, which is odd.

I think it should be noted that are no restrictions on how far you can travel to exercise or for how long (or how many times a day).

If there's anyone on the forum who shares the same sentiment against cyclists, can you explain to me what the issue is? 

I've been out cycling a fair few times in the last fortnight and find it tremendously therapeutic. I haven't noticed any such animosity, but I don't doubt that it exists. I'd be interested to see if anyone who has a beef with cyclists steps up to tell us about it.

Well, you asked for it!

Footpaths.

The clue's in the word.

You can cycle for as many miles on the road as you like in my opinion, but get off my footpath, please!

I think there is a bit of paranoia in many of us at the moment as we go about our business and observing the government guidelines as best we can.

I felt the need to explain to my immediate neighbors why I go out on a daily basis (ministering to a disabled relative).

Some people are quick to judge (not my neighbours) without understanding either particular needs,or sometimes the acceptable general rules.

Family groups,people of the same household, cyclists,motorists may all experience that look of disapproval.

It was an offence to wheel a bike along the pavement let alone ride along it.

3 minutes ago, fatrajah said:

When was this?

36 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Well, you asked for it!

Footpaths.

The clue's in the word.

You can cycle for as many miles on the road as you like in my opinion, but get off my footpath, please!

I think that goes without saying.  I don't use footpaths but obviously some people do.

It doesn't seem to be relevant in any of the articles and reports though. 

I think the general feeling amongst the populace is that if you are going miles away from home for exercise, not matter what the form of transport you are taking, then you are being selfish. The key words we've been told is to 'stay local'. You could even argue that as a potential carrier of Covid-19, the cyclist has the ability to infect far more people than someone in a car would going to the same destination.

I wouldn't have said 'staying local' is the same as someone in Totley cycling 10 miles into the Peak District.

When I got my first 2-wheeler in 1959, I was told this by various people; it seemed to be common knowledge at that time. It would be interesting to read a copy of the Highway Code for that year.

51 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

When was this?

55 minutes ago, fatrajah said:

It still is an offence same as riding around with no lights when dark, its just that the police dont enforce it anymore.

7 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I think the general feeling amongst the populace is that if you are going miles away from home for exercise, not matter what the form of transport you are taking, then you are being selfish. The key words we've been told is to 'stay local'. You could even argue that as a potential carrier of Covid-19, the cyclist has the ability to infect far more people than someone in a car would going to the same destination.

I wouldn't have said 'staying local' is the same as someone in Totley cycling 10 miles into the Peak District.

People making that journey in a car would not be doing so for exercise. Even if the car users travel to get to a destination for exercise then they are likely to get close to other car users at a car park.

As you're so worried about it, what's the likelihood of someone cycling through a village passing Covid-19 to anybody? After all, they will more than be keeping to the governments 2m distance rules.

Near us, we have a track that is used by walkers, horse riders and cyclists. If only cyclists would announce their imminent arrival by the use of a bell which  would get rid of this antagonism. Just a polite 'ding' is all that is needed.