Whats Young Hurst Doing Now

On 20/04/2020 at 12:14, bassett one said:

people can lose as much money as they can afford ,if like our man has loads of cash being made by other companys,if spending doesn't count how come all top league clubs spend big?,you can never have to much cash as a football owner ,as in the long run,its hard to profit from it,man city,man utd,liverpool dominate on a constant basis on this rule,but the main point is swfc ,we need to sort it until we again get back with the big clubs.

Can't quite fathom this bit "...people can lose as much money as they can afford ,if like our man has loads of cash being made by other companys,if spending doesn't count how come all top league clubs spend big?..."

I think you are saying that you should throw more money at it, as you think that is the only way to get promoted.

What I am saying is you tried that, and it didn't work. 

but spending big is fine and its worked for many clubs,look at wolves last season,villa and many more,just need a top manager,but if a top manager can do it cheap like united that's great as well.

6 minutes ago, bassett one said:

but spending big is fine and its worked for many clubs,look at wolves last season,villa and many more,just need a top manager,but if a top manager can do it cheap like united that's great as well.

Fair enough if you think that's the solution pal, everyone entitled to an opinion.

On 27/04/2020 at 19:01, Grappler said:

Fair enough if you think that's the solution pal, everyone entitled to an opinion.

It is in the majority of cases. 

He's thrown money at it in a crazy way though. Taking advice from advisors some of who are actually linked to the players signed from what I read. So we ended up with unknowns on big money.

Now if he'd given that money to a proven manager to spend how he saw fit, things might have been different, maybe an Allardyce or hughton for example 

that's exactly what I have always said ,get a top man in,and the rest should fall in place

There is a fine line between success and failure in all walks of life, let alone football, no one person has the answer to the rights and wrongs because there are too many if's and but's, Chansiri gambled and failed, close but no cigar, so it's easy to criticise his failings now of course, had we not had his investment would we have been anywhere near the top 6 in the Championship in the last five years ? Nobody know's !

As for that lot at S2 they have got their luck back with a manager who has a formula that for now has been a reasonable success considering the financial outlay, which in turn these day's is very rare, the question is now how long can it be sustained and will it bring them success they have struggled to achieve for a long time .... we will all have to wait and see.

As for young Hirst, he chased the money, good luck to him, he will need it because I can see big changes in the finances in and around professional football, and in general coming soon.

Edited by Michael_W

All managers have a different recipe for success,I think it depends on their background as players,and what theyve learned and seen,and they transmit that into their philosiphy,so Wilder rarely if ever buys big names or egos,and Im sure that the fans enjoy that,reputations are earned not bought,where as at SWFC its seems to be all about buying reputation,and for me thats were it falls down,egos are fragile,when things go wrong,that type of player doesnt like the criticism that fans dish out,where as a player with the correct temperament knuckles down and works harder to eradicate mistakes.......Im not sure if its the chairman or the manager that buys these players,you cant tell me CC  had ever heard of jordan rhodes for example,or morgan fox........one of the best footballing sides Ive seen at hillsborough in the last 20 years,was Sean O driscolls Donny Rovers,they played some really great stuff all on the floor,again no big names,but they played us off the park and made us look a joke,the only thing that hindered Donny getting into the prem was their lack of financial clout,they had no strike force,it was the finishing that let them down,I think they loaned in billy sharpe when he was at southampton,but couldnt afford to get him a decent partner,and Billy shouldered the responsibility for the goals,AND did a decent job,but the lack of a partner was what cost them.

IMHO I dont think Monks the right choice,hes a decent record,but hes left a foul stench behind wherever hes been and hes yet to taste success despite spaffing wads of cash,unless the Owls chairman changes his thinking and his habits,and I really dont believe he will,then I dont see us getting up off the canvas to challenge the neighbours for a bloody long time!

Edited by staninoodle

On 06/05/2020 at 14:35, Michael_W said:

There is a fine line between success and failure in all walks of life, let alone football, no one person has the answer to the rights and wrongs because there are too many if's and but's, Chansiri gambled and failed, close but no cigar, so it's easy to criticise his failings now of course, had we not had his investment would we have been anywhere near the top 6 in the Championship in the last five years ? Nobody know's !

As for that lot at S2 they have got their luck back with a manager who has a formula that for now has been a reasonable success considering the financial outlay, which in turn these day's is very rare, the question is now how long can it be sustained and will it bring them success they have struggled to achieve for a long time .... we will all have to wait and see.

As for young Hirst, he chased the money, good luck to him, he will need it because I can see big changes in the finances in and around professional football, and in general coming soon.

A long time?, you mean since we were last in the Premier League?

On 06/05/2020 at 14:35, Michael_W said:

By the use of the word 'luck' I presume you mean 'good luck'.

I've been going to the Lane since the early 1960's and cannot remember a time when we've had any 'good luck' so I'm not sure what you mean by stating we've 'got (our) luck back.

On 06/05/2020 at 23:31, staninoodle said:

All managers have a different recipe for success,I think it depends on their background as players,and what theyve learned and seen,and they transmit that into their philosiphy,so Wilder rarely if ever buys big names or egos,and Im sure that the fans enjoy that,reputations are earned not bought,where as at SWFC its seems to be all about buying reputation,and for me thats were it falls down,egos are fragile,when things go wrong,that type of player doesnt like the criticism that fans dish out,where as a player with the correct temperament knuckles down and works harder to eradicate mistakes.......Im not sure if its the chairman or the manager that buys these players,you cant tell me CC  had ever heard of jordan rhodes for example,or morgan fox........one of the best footballing sides Ive seen at hillsborough in the last 20 years,was Sean O driscolls Donny Rovers,they played some really great stuff all on the floor,again no big names,but they played us off the park and made us look a joke,the only thing that hindered Donny getting into the prem was their lack of financial clout,they had no strike force,it was the finishing that let them down,I think they loaned in billy sharpe when he was at southampton,but couldnt afford to get him a decent partner,and Billy shouldered the responsibility for the goals,AND did a decent job,but the lack of a partner was what cost them.

IMHO I dont think Monks the right choice,hes a decent record,but hes left a foul stench behind wherever hes been and hes yet to taste success despite spaffing wads of cash,unless the Owls chairman changes his thinking and his habits,and I really dont believe he will,then I dont see us getting up off the canvas to challenge the neighbours for a bloody long time!

As always an honest assessment of the situation.

On 06/05/2020 at 18:31, staninoodle said:

I agree with all of that but the 'foul stench' he might have left at Elland Road was already there.

On 10/05/2020 at 14:55, Grappler said:

A long time?, you mean since we were last in the Premier League?

On 10/05/2020 at 15:03, abbeyedges said:

By the use of the word 'luck' I presume you mean 'good luck'.

I've been going to the Lane since the early 1960's and cannot remember a time when we've had any 'good luck' so I'm not sure what you mean by stating we've 'got (our) luck back.

As always an honest assessment of the situation.

You may have been in the Premier league back when Warnock was manager but you got relegated after one season, it's all relative, I suppose there was the success of reaching the Premier League in the first place, but it ended in the failure of relegation, as i said in my original post there is a fine line between success and failure which is why I used the term 'luck', no matter how much we dress things up in Sheffield football circles, neither club has had much 'luck' or success, Wednesday arguably 'historically' fairing a bit better, a Rumbelows Cup win, Europe, a Play Off Final win in my lifetime , pitch that against Cup Final defeats against an Arsenal 'bogey' side, in a season where we could arguably have beaten any other team in the country, on our day, and then our recent Play Off failures .... you do generally need a bit of 'luck' and I will use the Play Off Final of 2005 penalty decision in our favour as an example !

Edited by Michael_W