Wales Bar 1940'S

I quite enjoy family history research and I'm always happy to help when I can! 😊

Hi victormh 

we are related. My grandmother was Charlotte Wasteney. My mother was Phyllis Harrison. My father was Cecil Harrison and I was born at ‘ Little House’  Kiveton in 1947. My brother , Charles was born in 1943 in Beighton. Charles died 2weeks ago from pancreatic cancer. You are correct that we very nearly did emigrate to Australia in the 1950s but my mother got cold feet at the last minute and we did not go. 

Annis Sayles was my mother’s older sister. She had 2 daughters: Patricia and Kath. Pat married Ron Canwell and they had three children: Ronald, Stuart and Carol. Ronald died 10 years ago . Stuart lives near London and Carol lives in Connecticut.  Kath married Ralph Barnes and had 2 daughters : Judith and Suzanne. 

What was your mother’s name. She must be one of my mother’s older sisters. 

Sorry, I meant what was your grandmother’s name

Subang Jaya - State of Selangor Darul Ehsan - Malaysia - Friday 9-30am (10 miles South of Kuala Lumpur)

Well, well, well,  -  I do have some information for you to think about

Charles Wasteney was born in Ulley and from a large family

Charles and Charlotte had daughters and one son

Charlotte (Lotte) was the oldest

Ethel was next oldest and my grandmother = married to Elias Marshall

Others I remember from regular family gatherings are

Hilda who married John Cope and lived on Red Hill, had a son who was a schoolteacher - Geoff, hee married ??? Wainscoat from Hartill farming family

Anis of course who married Horace Sayles

Your mother Phyllis was the youngest and about the same age as my mother Jessie

Joseph was the only boy and married a girl from Sheffield area by the name off Olive 

Ada who died young from cancer - she was married to a guy in the police force by the name of Bernard Guest

Ruth who married Elis Batty (blnded by mustard gas in WW1 - you will remember them - son was called Lloyd and daughter was Gwynneth - Gwynneth married a local guy Ray Thorpe who was a driver for Home Coal deliveries based somewhere at the tope of the road down to Harthill - had a son Ray and a Daughter Marrion or Marriane - you may remember them from kiveton school

My parents were very friendly with Gwynneth and Ray and we often went out for days on Sundays and also Saturday evening - Ray and myself would go to the local cinema or to Worksop cinema - then of course there was Kiveton Fair held on the waste land close to your house. At the time Gwynneth and Ray lived in the pre-fabs on the estate behind your house

Later they moved to a house on the road which runs behind the houses on the main road where Anis and Horace lived - last time I spoke to them would be pre late 2006 before I moved to Malaysia an at the time the lived on Storth Lane - no idea about Ray but Gwynneth told me that Marrion lived in Nottingham and was a area sales manager for a company. I remember Anis and Horace lived at the other side of the road from your house but a bit further up towards Wales

I remember Great Grandmother Charlotte firstly when we visited every few days at the time she lived on Swallownest High Street almost opposite the end of School Street (Lotte and her husband Harry Lister lived on School Street). At the time Great Grandfather Charles was bedridden and had a bed in the front room of the house

Great Grandfather died and Great Grandmother moved to the Granny Flat where Phyllis lived

I used to go visit her about every 10 days with my Grandmother - your Auntie Ethel

I was born July 01 1940 in Swallownest so you can work out the dates etc from that - in effect you are my uncle !! and have never sent your nephew a Birthday card, Christmas card or present (flood of tears)

Think that's the lot - I can remember them all quite vividly because we had very regular family  get togethers before the birth of tv became a distraction

Charlotte and Charles are buried in the old part of Aston Cemetery, and close to their grave is the grave of Ada, my grandparents are buried further down towards the bottom of the cemetery on the left hand side, Joe and Olive are buried in the Aston Cemetery new section

Remember Ron Canwell of course, bit of a rogue to say the least. Also knew his son also called Ron

I have Wasteney history back to about 930AD when they lived in France just south of Paris.  2 brother Gaufrie and Willem came to England in 1066AD with William of Orange to fight English King Harold at the Historic Battle of Hastings - after the battle they were Knighted and William of Orange proclaimed himself King William 1st of All England and France - there is a lot more of course

If you live near Todwick you will see the Wasteney Family Coat of Arms on the village entrance sign, plus some burials in the church yard - one quite famous one being Sir Hardolph Wasteney Bart.

Wasteneys were also co-owners of Roche Abbey

As for Charles Wasteney, one of his brothers, Edmund,  emigrated to New Zealand on the first emigrant ship on April 22 1841. On the long sea voyage he met with 2 other who were business minded and they agreed that upon landing in NZ they should find a suitable location for a new town.

This they found and marked out the town square planted with a magnolia tree. This is now the major NZ City of Nelson. Many Wasteney sheep farmers in NZ

Hope this "grabs your interest"

Await your reply - may be a good idea to send me your e mail address for further information and attachments

Best Regards from Malaysia - hot and sunny 365 days a year, no seasons, only 97 right now at 10-00am but will be around 109/110 by mid day

Victor - (Victor Marshall Hutchinson)

Fascinating account. I should very much like more information. My email is drmartyn@btinternet.com

3-31pm - come back to you later cos right now it will take me a while to finish a number of items for the Thailand MoD

Wil check out your e mail address in a few moms to make sure we can connect

Best Regards - Victor

Hello .

Just a couple  of points to add to the discussion, Kenny Bonsall was my Foreman at Unbrako steels really nice man  Bob Coxon was  foreman there also. my family the Haywoods lived on East terrace quite a lot of the ' Bar lads " worked with me 

Hi Lyndon, I remember Johnny Haywood, He was  a couple of years older than us but we came into regular contact with him on what was known as 'the backs' at WalesBar. Good to get news of Kenny and Bob, seems only like yesterday.

Edited by nikki-red

John was  my uncle  my dads youngest  brother. Did you live on East  terrace  or South  terrace. Do you remember  Herbert Harris, Herbert Humble , Colin Woodhead 

Herbert Harris was my uncle he had a daughter called Vennie. I lived on East Terrace almost next door to Jack Grace who died last year.

My  Grandma  lived at 66 East terrace next door to John and Terry  Godfrey. My dad was  one of 13  children  I saw my Grandmas house advertised  couple  of years  ago it said perfect  for the smaller family.  hope you are well  nice to hear some familiar names I was born in Kiveton  but was always referred  to has a " Bar lad " 

all the best 

hi sue

was one of your uncles called John Watson aka "muss" he was my dads friend  at wales bar in the 1930/ 40s I worked with him  in the steel industry