Coronavirus

Groose

As we have mentioned several times. We will not tolerate any sort of attacking other users, fake news and bickering.  No further warnings will be given, your account will be suspeded.

Message added by Groose

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

The only strategy tactic which has been proven to 'work' so far, is to enforce isolation rigidly to curb the R0 , and in the meantime to test systematically and trace positive testers. That takes care of stemming the volume of infection, which is the most important variable affecting lethality.

In this morning's news, we now have "drive in" test centres, where you can just turn up (GP prescription required) and get Covid19-tested without leaving your car. That might not be a realistic approach on the scale of GB, but it's worth keeping in mind to try and help accelerate the volume of testing.

Some hospitals are already operating a similar testing system.  Not sure if this is limited to individual Trusts or if it's a countrywide thing.

5 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Correct Brooker.  And I provided a link to expert advice from the World Health Organization that confirms this.  But there are some people you cannot educate, because no matter what facts you put before them, it doesn't make them stop to think or reconsider, it just reinforces their stubbornness to believe their views are right.  

The one thing I do agree with is the statement that "healthy people could be carriers of the virus".  They could, for as far as we know.  This is part of the problem, we haven't routinely tested people, so we don't know who's carrying it and who is not.  But that's part of the reason for the social distancing and lock down.  

Yeh, you are right, there are some people you cannot educate, people who carry on and refuse to wear masks and sneeze, cough and spread all their germs on everyone and everything...

It beggars belief that people keep saying masks do very little, i bet these people are the ones who will refuse to wear a mask..

According to these people all our Doctors and Nurses need educating and are wasting their time putting on masks..

Hmmmm I don't think so...

Why don't you ask Doctors and Nurses why they wear masks?????? Will they say it's because they do very little..

I am a strong believer masks should be worn, so i aint the one who needs educating..

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, alandrea0 said:

Yeh, you are right, there are some people you cannot educate, people who carry on and refuse to wear masks and sneeze, cough and spread all their germs on everyone and everything...

It beggars belief that people keep saying masks do very little, i bet these people are the ones who will refuse to wear a mask..

According to these people all our Doctors and Nurses need educating and are wasting their time putting on masks..

Why don't you ask Doctors and Nurses why they wear masks?????? Will they say it's because they do very little..

I am a strong believer masks should be worn, so i aint the one who needs educating..

Go ahead.  Nobody is stopping you wearing a face mask. It's personal choice. 

If you're feel it offers you additional protection then that's peace of mind for you & if, God forbid, you do pick up COVID-19, it'll offer the rest of us a modicum of protection from you. 

However, care to explain why some medical staff are undergoing treatment  after catching COVID-19 & why some have died, when they are wearing even greater protection than  a simple face mask & working in an  even more sanitised environment of a hospital ICU, offering the more protection than you would have walking about the streets catching public transport while we area face mask?

Edited by Baron99

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Go ahead.  Nobody is stopping you wearing a face mask. 

Unfortunately, when some forum members accuse such as me as cannot be educated and stubborn, it just shows  their arrogance and couldn't care less attitude towards other people...

They shouldn't insult people just because of their views.....

But yet, i wouldn't be surprised that these people who use insulting content and say you don't need to wear a mask, will in fact have to wear a mask at some time in the future if this virus spread gets worse...

The thought of that makes me realise it's not me that requires educating....

The bickering and sniping ends here. Anyone who continues will be suspended. There are enough issues right now without adding to them with that. If you can't post nicely, don't post!

58 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Some hospitals are already operating a similar testing system.  Not sure if this is limited to individual Trusts or if it's a countrywide thing.

Definitely not a countrywide thing. Just watching PMs questions, MPs of all parties wanting to know why it's not happening, mot even for front line NHS workers.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alandrea0 said:

Edited by onewheeldave

Posted (edited)

ITN news have just announced the death of the UK's youngest victim of COVID-19.  

21 year old with no underlying health problems.  

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-25/daughter-21-believed-to-be-youngest-in-uk-to-die-from-coronavirus/

Wise words from the victim's mother; "Her mother, Diane, wrote on Facebook: “To all the people out there that thinks it's just a virus please think again."

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Prince Charles has it. Mild symptoms apparently.

Reportedly he met the criteria for testing, not sure what that is exactly, anyone know what it might be?

Heir to the throne, and very little else I'd wager.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

I heard a statistic today, that every person dying from Covid in the UK had a pre existing health condition, is that true ?

Furthermore, a study indicates up to half the UK population have (or have had) this virus.

As the FT comments :

If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all.

If this is true the whole government strategy *, in fact pretty well the whole world's strategy, is doing untold harm for very little benefit.

* Excluding isolating vulnerable groups until a vaccine (or reasonably effective drugs) is developed, that is obviously worthwhile.

The FT article is behind a paywall, but the research on which it's presumably based is available for free, by clicking on the dropbox link in the following tweet:

https://twitter.com/EEID_oxford/status/1242402762283012096

I can help interpret that if anyone wants.  One thing to note is that they apply their model to Italy as well as to the UK.  The Italian health service is getting swamped even if it is 'one in a thousand'.  On the other hand, using that assumption something like 80% of the Italian population will already have been exposed/infected (grey curve in Figure 2B, which shows the proportion not yet exposed), which would be good news on the herd immunity front.

[Their corresponding figure for the UK is 68% by 19th March, but, to repeat, that is based on the assumption that 0.1% of the population will get seriously ill when infected.  But that assumption is supported by the fact that if they assume a bigger number, say 1%, they get counterintuitive results like the first cases being reported before the virus got into the country (for the UK, Figure 1E; they don't get that for Italy, Figure 2E).]

Is their model right?  Time will tell.  Or, as they say, a proper randomised survey of the population, using antibody tests, would settle the question more quickly.

Edited by CaptainSwing

Personally, I can’t see many downside to wearing a face mask.

I have no problem with anyone who wears one, I don’t think they look stupid, I just think they’re taking their own, and other’s, well-being seriously. Good on them.

I did a little research in to N95 masks (with a view to getting some myself). There are some problems with them you need to consider; I think the main one is where the virus can land on the outside of the mask, and you can be exposed to it when removing (or reusing) the mask.

3 hours ago, alandrea0 said:

Masks are not easy to get and there isn't enough of them for everyone, and there definitely won't be enough for everyone to have multiple masks, because I think I'm right in saying that you can't wear the same one day after day.

Despite this Its only a matter of time before the wearing of a mask becomes an excuse for those amongst us with bullying and busy body instincts to start mouthing off, a bit with poppy wearing around rememberence sunday.