Coronavirus

Groose

As we have mentioned several times. We will not tolerate any sort of attacking other users, fake news and bickering.  No further warnings will be given, your account will be suspeded.

Message added by Groose

I think that the "work from home unless essential" has caused a lot of confusion and needs clarity.

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

Can you work from home?

I really don't see what's ambiguous....

Well, it is a bit. 

If YourTech is building ventilators he/she had better get to work quick sharp - the country needs him/her. On the other hand if they are going to work to - I don’t know - put artificial flowers in boxes on a crowded production line for example - then although he can only do it at work, would they not be doing a greater service to the country if they stayed at home?

Speaking of home workers, what are you actually doing, and what sort of industries? There can’t be many left!

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Well, it is a bit. 

If YourTech is building ventilators he/she had better get to work quick sharp - the country needs him/her. On the other hand if they are going to work to - I don’t know - put artificial flowers in boxes on a crowded production line for example - then although he can only do it at work, would they not be doing a greater service to the country if they stayed at home?

Speaking of home workers, what are you actually doing, and what sort of industries? There can’t be many left!

I can work from home but our company is construction based so the lads on site obviously cannot, are their essential or not?

9 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

I can work from home but our company is construction based so the lads on site obviously cannot, are their essential or not?

Depends what they’re building I guess. I saw some people doing windows, resin driveway - folk are still working, and financially they haven’t got a choice I suppose, and they have to finish the job. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brooker11 said:

I think that the "work from home unless essential" has caused a lot of confusion and needs clarity.

This appears to be the same advice that was given here in France last week - it has been clarified to mean work from home if you can, otherwise go to work unless in something that has been "shut down" eg restaurants, bars, hotels, non food shops,leisure centres etc.  Builders, gardeners , garages, still working. 

I would have hoped HMG might have learned lessons from other countries - especially as the measures taken are well nigh identical to here!

Edited by Longcol

Posted (edited)

The ratcheting up of measures was signposted weeks ago, they have been pretty consistent, the idea was/is to try and predict the optimum moment to shutdown, for maximum benefit to the nhs. Different models will show a different date. Different countries have different circumstances, different age demographics.

Every county is currently (or going to) struggling with this, most are shutting down.  Blaming one man for demolishing the economy is ridiculous.

Supposedly 30% don't know they ever had it - which begs the question how are they contributing to the spread of it, (if they are), no cough, no aerosol, no distancing required. The cloth handkerchief over the mouth idea wasn't so stupid, it will stop much of the aerosol traveling 2m. The obsession seems to be over the fact certain masks can't stop 100% of the virus escaping, but any cloth will cut down the amount of gob exiting the mouth.

If everyone uses a homemade mask, how is it going to spread, social distancing can be abandoned, and we can go back to some sort of normality until a cure is found

The one big mistake was not to start broadcasting public information films, to make clear what the current ever changing guidelines were

Edited by fools

Posted (edited)

The same government that is pushing this through tomorrow-

https://www.inclusionlondon.org.uk/campaigns-and-policy/act-now/coronavirus-bill-could-leave-thousands-of-disabled-people-without-support/?fbclid=IwAR1gHVQc9dnynq6qi4XeFZA7JOCJIgRX5GeM5HqIM57shdwafhzPfBE0p3Y

"The Bill will effectively free local authorities of their duties to provide social care support under the Care Act 2014 and will only oblige local authorities to provide support in cases where the human rights of Disabled people will be breached.

We know from experience that in order for human rights to be breached in social care context the situation has to be very critical or severe. "

How shoddy to use coronovirus as an excuse to further wittle away the already inadequate support for the most vulnerable. It really shows the true colours of those at the top of our political system. 

This is going to be hurting a lot of vulnerable people well after the coronvirus has been and gone.

Most people are currently totally unaware of this and, this bill is likely to go through completely unopposed, as there is a  general assumption that it is emergency legislation soley to provide protective measures against coronovirus- clearly it contains some rather sinister measures that are nothing to do with that.

Anyone who cares, I suggest you share it as widely as possible on all social media.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hmmmm. Sounds very sinister and potentially Disastrous.

Haven't read about this fully as yet, but what the HELL is going on?!?

Edited by dropout

Posted (edited)

EccoNoob said "Let's keep some perspective here."

Justin Smith said - "Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you appear to be saying facts are "dangerous".

It's about statistics. Statistically I would be at about a 1 in 100 chance of dying from the virus if I caught it, assuming I haven't already had it of course. But I'm not stupid enough to think I would not die, I may do, but the risk has to balanced against the effects of what the Govt are doing. The extra stress of all this may already be shortening my life, and I'm only half joking...…. What is certain is some people will die of something else who would not because of this virus, I'm prepared to bet you there are people out there now who are not visiting their doctors for stuff which they would do normally, which will turn into serious stuff which will kill them. If the economy is massively affected the NHS will suffer severely and people will die because of that. There's a balance to be struck."

...................................................................................................................................................................

Perspective? - On the one hand, credible reports are saying that the first 100.000 diagnosed cases worldwide took 67 days and the most recent 100,000 confirmed cases happened in just 4 days!

So, something contagious and very seriously worrying is obviously going on. SCARY STUFF Indeed.

On the other hand, we have a 4 month old virus, which, a little over 3 months ago, took it's first victims, in China.

Then in the past 3 months, the virus has, NO thanks to Govt/Regime/authority after authority, FAILING TO PREPARE or ACT, been transported, exported almost Worldwide, causing KNOWN confirmed deaths now to be over 16,000 worldwide.(24.3.2020).

So, in 4 months, 16,000 plus deaths from 300,000 known cases.

IF the virus is now raging and contagious like an Amazon bush fire, then another 4 months could see the worldwide deaths multiplied by 100 times or so?, therefore,(I think? - 1.6 MILLION Deaths worldwide, potentially?) or will it be even more? India and the poor countries of Africa and South America are likely to be Ravaged!)

That is a lot of people...and is 1.6 Million people TOO Many, for sure. 

It may well, as Johnson said, include some of our Loved ones.

A sad and tough reality, true.

However - while some of us still have strength and Life, there WILL be questions asked and fingers pointed.

Our Country, England, effectively "Passing the Buck to it's citizens". saying, "Stay at Home - Protect our NHS".

Utterly SCANDALOUS Behaviour from a Government and many successive  English Govts, many more of a Blue Colour than a Red one, FAILING to Prepare...and therefore FAILING the People.

Whatever else does happen, the old adage remains true.... "Fail to Prepare - Prepare to FAIL".

Edited by dropout
Spacing/editing

I think the mistake that we have made is not having a TOTAL lockdown, that is the only way to stop it, how can it be right that people still go to work and mix with other people?

1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

I think the mistake that we have made is not having a TOTAL lockdown, that is the only way to stop it, how can it be right that people still go to work and mix with other people?

It's fairly obvious if you think about it - we can't have a TOTAL lockdown without closing hospitals, utilities, transport, food production/distibution etc.  If we did so, many people would die.

No doubt there will be idiots going out. 

24 minutes ago, Halibut said:

It's fairly obvious if you think about it - we can't have a TOTAL lockdown without closing hospitals, utilities, transport, food production/distibution etc.  If we did so, many people would die.

I didn't actually mean those you mentioned, I was referring to factories etc, take my own place of work which is engineering,  fully expecting to be sent home today, only to be told that it's production as normal, when pointing out that we are not essential workers it was met with bluster, and this is a factory with over 70 staff, and they prefer to put profits before people's health,