Coronavirus

Groose

As we have mentioned several times. We will not tolerate any sort of attacking other users, fake news and bickering.  No further warnings will be given, your account will be suspeded.

Message added by Groose

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

You could say the same about every single supermarket which are still open.   

This is a rubbish analogy to use as an argument to what I wrote.

I know gathering in supermarkets is potentially dangerous for gatherings... and pages back I suggested opening times should be staggered to stop gatherings in the morning, and allow a better distribution of food. Probably even 2 days ago I discussed that with taxman.

The analogy isn't good, but, if supermarkets said they were shutting tomorow at 7pm, would you expect more or less people to go there?

-

Most people are sensible, but equally you have to accept that McDonalds is popular, and people are panicking as it is.

'might as well go for a McDonalds if gonna be in lockdown for months'

?

Posted (edited)

CRS:

"It is believed that cytokine storms were responsible for the disproportionate number of healthy young adult deaths during the 1918 influenza pandemic, which killed 50 to 100 million people.[16] In this case, a healthy immune system may have been a liability rather than an asset. Preliminary research results from Taiwan also indicated this as the probable reason for many deaths

In the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic, a number of deaths due to COVID-19 have been attributable to cytokine release storms.[22][23][24]"

Source:Wiki.

If the CRS can be brought under control there has to be hope that the person will not die.

It's ironic and a cruel twist by Mother Nature that a healthy immune system

can be your downfall .

Edited by petemcewan

Posted (edited)

The Government are looking to allow the suspension of refunds for package holidays to protect the travel industry from going under.

Mr Shapps is expected to agree to companies issuing credit notes enabling the holidaymaker to book a new trip within two years. Any customer who does not redeem the voucher can then claim the sum in cash.

If the travel firm goes bust in the interim, financial protection will be provided by the government-backed Atol scheme.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/package-holiday-refund-rules-to-be-suspended/ar-BB11xNWV?ocid=spartandhp

Edited by iansheff

Posted (edited)

Time to be positive......

1 - For those of us with kids, a MASSIVE positive. No children, have died from this anywhere in the world. People's instinct to protect their kids would be in overdrive if children were in danger, mine certainly would be, and, quite literally, society could be breaking down.

2 - They will get a vaccine for this even if it takes a year or so to produce.

3 - There are promising trials of pre-existing drugs and combinations of drugs (i.e. already tested and on the market) which may combat the virus, i.e. lower the death rate and decrease the length of time people would need to stay in hospital. Some expert in infectious diseases (on the BBC the other day) was estimating these drugs could come into use by April. If they get the death rate down sufficiently most of these restrictions of the economy and society could be relaxed (excepting vulnerable groups ? ).

4 - The death rate is, on average, about 1%, and far less for non vulnerable groups. Just think how bad it would be if 10% were dying, or 20%......

Edited by Justin Smith

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, iansheff said:

The Government are looking to allow the suspension of refunds for holidays to protect the travel industry from going under.

Mr Shapps is expected to agree to companies issuing credit notes enabling the holidaymaker to book a new trip within two years. Any customer who does not redeem the voucher can then claim the sum in cash.

If the travel firm goes bust in the interim, financial protection will be provided by the government-backed Atol scheme.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/package-holiday-refund-rules-to-be-suspended/ar-BB11xNWV?ocid=spartandhp

Draconian new measures are going through parliament this afternoon, I don't know if this is part of it. It covers a range of issues, many of which are designed to curb our liberties, but other things may well be included which we haven't heard much about.  Such as .....

Please read SF thread 'Removal of Local Authority obligation to provide Social Care support' by onewheeldave. It's going through parliament this afternoon and will affect us all.

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, iansheff said:

The Government are going to allow the suspension of refunds for holidays to protect the travel companies from going under.

I think that's fair enough.

I've got a holiday booked and paid for to Formentera in Spain.   £3,000  and was due to go end August/beginning Sept.        I am happy to accept a voucher to use within 2 years.  If I do not use the said voucher, then I will get my money back.    I think that is a very reasonable offer,  we have all got to be sensible.

If not, there may not be a travel industry in the future.

16 minutes ago, francypants said:

I think that's fair enough.

I've got a holiday booked and paid for to Formentera in Spain.   £3,000  and was due to go end August/beginning Sept.        I am happy to accept a voucher to use within 2 years.  If I do not use the said voucher, then I will get my money back.    I think that is a very reasonable offer,  we have all got to be sensible.

If not, there may not be a travel industry in the future.

I agree.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

<…>

I originally asked for what people are using.

<…>

I would just like a time to watch latest. I don't want to watch anything other than experts, and latest info.

Testimonies of NHS frontline staff on Twitter feeds are hard to beat.

It doesn't get more expert and latest as that nor, once aggregated in the context of earlier testimonies of Italian, Spanish, French and German healthcare frontline staff, more objective.

Because even if you apply a heavy "doubting Thomas" filter to this material (and so should everyone do), given the volume and history of it by now, you only need to see so many middle-aged men your (my-) own age, working as ICU doctors, in tears over the triaging decisions they're having to make day-in, day-out (and whose decisions do *not* apply *only* to OAPs with comorbidities ) and imploring people to self-isolate, to realise how serious this is.

That's before you consider the further testimonies of some of these healthcare workers with families, infected through their service (never mind insufficient + inappropriate PPE equipment, as reported in some volume by NHS staff in the UK) and some of whom have since died, who dare not go back home after their first shift for fear of infecting their loved ones.

And then I see photos of play parks filled with families and kids, and commuters stuffed into fewer trains in London, taken this morning :evil:

Please help them help you and your loved ones: stay home.

Edited by L00b

Thank heavens for our NHS staff. They've suffered understaffing, cuts and abuse for years, and are now expected to work in a war zone without the necessary tools and equipment and even the necessary protective gear to keep themselves safe.

And still they do it.  

.. For us.

This should never have happened if they'd been listened to over the years. They don't complain for nothing. We owe them a great debt. I hope this is remembered when this crisis is over.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Thank heavens for our NHS staff. They've suffered understaffing, cuts and abuse for years, and are now expected to work in a war zone without the necessary tools and equipment and even the necessary protective gear to keep themselves safe.

And still they do it.  

.. For us.

This should never have happened if they'd been listened to over the years. They don't complain for nothing. We owe them a great debt. I hope this is remembered when this crisis is over.

I thought they "did it" as part of their job and salary they received.

I'm sorry Anna but whilst I fully respect the hardship and limited resources the NHS staff are suffering at the moment can we please stop with a dramatic emotive language.

Just look back at any newspaper headline for the past 40-50 years.  It's the same trot every single time there is some major incident.  The NHS has always seemingly been in crisis.... it's always seemingly been overburdened.... it's always seemingly been under resourced....it's always seemingly been underfunded....

We hear it all the time.

Yes they are brave, yes they are very dedicated, yes they are very skilled and necessary parts of the workforce....  But they are also doing a bloody job like everybody else.

There are lots of other essential services that don't get the bright lights and headlines of the NHS.  people are just quietly getting on with their mundane jobs to keep the world moving. 

The NHS is important but so is retailing and transportation and distribution and finance and communications and broadcast and law enforcement and judiciary and administration.

Let's keep some perspective here.

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I thought they "did it" as part of their job and salary they received.

I'm sorry Anna but whilst I fully respect the hardship and limited resources the NHS staff are suffering at the moment can we please stop with a dramatic emotive language.

Just look back at any newspaper headline for the past 40-50 years.  It's the same trot every single time there is some major incident.  The NHS has always seemingly been in crisis.... it's always seemingly being overburdened.... it's always seemingly been under resourced....it's always seemingly be underfunded....

We hear it all the time.

Yes they are brave, yes they are very dedicated, yes they are very skilled and necessary parts of the workforce....  But they are also doing a bloody job like everybody else.

There are lots of other essential services that don't get the bright lights and headlines of the NHS.  people are just quietly getting on with their mundane jobs to keep the world moving. 

The NHS is important but so is retailing and transportation and distribution and finance and communications and broadcast and law enforcement and judiciary and administration.

Let's keep some perspective here.

Hear Hear ...............     and if it wasn't for the teachers going into work looking after all these 'keyworkers' children, the country would soon be on it's knees. They are doing their job,  just getting on with it what they are paid to do and not getting or expecting any praise or freebies................      I say " WELL DONE TO ALL THE KEYWORKERS,  and THANK YOU.        Not just the NHS.

18 hours ago, taxman said:

Bozo actually sounded rather good today, he seem's to have lost the smirk and sense on entitlement. Still looks like a two year old toddler who has just been told to get of out of bed though.

Spot on.  :thumbsup: