Coronavirus

Groose

As we have mentioned several times. We will not tolerate any sort of attacking other users, fake news and bickering.  No further warnings will be given, your account will be suspeded.

Message added by Groose

15 minutes ago, Litotes said:

NZ is attempting to rebalance the life/work balance in a way that we should consider.

I often see people compare places.

My knowledge on NZ through a NZ friend of mine, is that generally the level of intellect is higher in some places (and smaller population densities) so easier to manage things.

Sweden always comes up with these types of comparisons. Has anyone ever met a thick Swedish person?

Britain is rife with thickos, like America.

Nice non prejudiced post here from me! :hihi:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Litotes said:

And according to what I have read - and you could do that as well, is that in every technological revolution - despite what the luddites and saboteurs (look up the derivation of the word) have predicted - employment has gone up.

Nice straw man argument but unfortunately for you I didn't say it had gone down. ;)

In the 20th century we had 2 world wars and the great depression from 1929 that lasted 10 years where over 40% of the UK working population were unemployed and 15 million in the USA unemployed, and all this despite automation. That was also the result of the stock market crashing and the banks failing... Sound familiar... :) The employment rate has not changed much either, as a percentage of the working population it hit 76% in 1872, 1973 and 2018 and today stands at 76.6% . In more recent times we also have undergone high periods of unemployment coupled with high inflation, and all that despite despite being modernised and undergoing technical revolutions. Employment has not changed much not because of technology but because of the service industries. Manufacturing in the UK has declined drastically since the 1960s and those that were in manufacturing being re employed in the service industries, as are a great deal of today's young.

And the value to the economy of those jobs has gone up.

That's also debatable as the population has also increased.

People do not have to 'accept' lower paid jobs - it is a supply / demand balance. it seems that a 1970s mentality that all jobs are created equal and that all jobs are a god given right is coming back.

Tell that to someone who is unemployed and searching for a job as its either that or starvation and benefits cut off.

NZ is attempting to rebalance the life/work balance in a way that we should consider.

With that I agree.

Unfortunately for many this coronavirus will also take its toll and make unemployment high again.

Edited by apelike

4 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

It's scary that the ones in power meet this criteria.

The sense of entitlement and hubris shown by our leaders is totally undermining the public show of commitment to the pandemic

If Domonic Cummings doesn't get sacked it gives the green light to families to visit grandparents up and down the country.

i know of two sets of grandparents who have a new babies that live within 4 miles and they haven't seen them yet.

What kind of message is his actions  sending to these people

13 hours ago, apelike said:

They are talking about a living wage which will (if it happens) be adjusted to take into account a 4 day working week so if it comes to pass then that a probable yes. But... people keep citing N.Z. as some miracle in dealing with corona virus and other aspects but dont taking into account their population is only 4.8 million etc and it was mainly tourism that drove the economy which has basically been hit hardest. Much different to a large economy that does not have tourism at its heart.

Wikipedia reckons that tourism contributes 9.9% of GDP in NZ (5.6% directly and 4.3% indirectly), including 17.1% of export earnings.  Nearly 2/3 (NZ$20.2 billion) of tourism spending is by kiwis themselves, with international tourists (45% of whom are from Australia) spending NZ$11.8 billion.

Haven't been able to find comparably detailed figures for the UK, but this site says that tourism contributes 9% of GDP, "predicted" to rise to 9.9% by 2025.

So on the face of it NZ's tourism industry isn't relatively much bigger than the UK's.

Furthermore, again according to Wikipedia, tourism contributes only about 3% of GDP in Australia, which has had essentially the same coronavirus response as NZ.

Question.

If someone can come from overseas and state that they are staying with me for instance. They isolate for 14 days as per the rules (As I see them)

Would it be any different if my daughter came to stay and we did the same 14 day rule?

I was just looking at 1.5 & 7.2 on this web page and it seems that a visitor can come from another country and isolate but a family member from the same city can't, or am I reading or understanding it wrong?

9 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I often see people compare places.

My knowledge on NZ through a NZ friend of mine, is that generally the level of intellect is higher in some places (and smaller population densities) so easier to manage things.

Sweden always comes up with these types of comparisons. Has anyone ever met a thick Swedish person?

Nice non prejudiced post here from me! :hihi:

All true though. News reports on overcrowding in countryside beauty spots and beaches, and huge amounts of litter left behind. What sort of people leave their rubbish behind?

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Good grief.   If the desperation to continually criticise the government has reached the depth of someone's accent and pronunciation the barrel is well and truly being scraped.

2 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

All true though. News reports on overcrowding in countryside beauty spots and beaches, and huge amounts of litter left behind. What sort of people leave their rubbish behind?

Rubbish people. :hihi:

People moan about people critisising Goverments and Politicians when they get things wrong especially in these dangerous times, I cant see the problem with that,  lets face it people like Cummings and one of  Sturgeons advisers just encourage it,  if anyone gets things wrong whilst doing their jobs critisim is the norm, what would one expect, a pat on the back. :roll:

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, zach said:

Question.

If someone can come from overseas and state that they are staying with me for instance. They isolate for 14 days as per the rules (As I see them)

Would it be any different if my daughter came to stay and we did the same 14 day rule?

I was just looking at 1.5 & 7.2 on this web page and it seems that a visitor can come from another country and isolate but a family member from the same city can't, or am I reading or understanding it wrong?

Yes the rules are vague, and don't add up, it's meant to be like that to absolve responsibility for any more deaths

Edited by melthebell

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

Yes the rules are vague, and don't add up, it's meant to be like that to absolve responsibility for any more deaths

It seems that way. I thought I was looking at what's said from the wrong angle, I will just keep reading it in the conflicting way it's written.

And to answer my own question...not a clue!! 

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

A devastating pandemic that has hit the world has been made worse in this country by an inept Prime Minister and Government that are making things up as they go along. Remember Thatcher saying the Lady is not for turning,  wonder how many more U Turns Boris will make.