Coronavirus

Groose

As we have mentioned several times. We will not tolerate any sort of attacking other users, fake news and bickering.  No further warnings will be given, your account will be suspeded.

Message added by Groose

1 hour ago, apelike said:

They are talking about a living wage which will (if it happens) be adjusted to take into account a 4 day working week so if it comes to pass then that a probable yes. But... people keep citing N.Z. as some miracle in dealing with corona virus and other aspects but dont taking into account their population is only 4.8 million etc and it was mainly tourism that drove the economy which has basically been hit hardest. Much different to a large economy that does not have tourism at its heart.

Thank you. That's helpful.

So it appears that, as per usual, some people are all too quick and excitable to start finger pointing and making comparisons about how great other countries are doing things without actually understanding the full context and facts to make it relevant to our own situation.

11 minutes ago, iansheff said:

What is it with this Government, why are they not quarantining people entering this country as soon as possible  instead of waiting over 2 more weeks. Do they assume that the people coming here between now and the 8th June will not be carrying the virus?

That is this incompetent Goverment all over dither dither dither,  a repeat of the initial lockdown decision. :huh:

18 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Good grief.   If the desperation to continually criticise the government has reached the depth of someone's accent and pronunciation the barrel is well and truly being scraped.

No - I agree - if you want to communicate - you get a good communicator - because then  people focus on the message not the failure of the spokesperson - why does the government need to keep changing the puppet on the string?

Yet again, this world of ED&I devalues the message.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

They are talking about a living wage which will (if it happens) be adjusted to take into account a 4 day working week so if it comes to pass then that a probable yes. But... people keep citing N.Z. as some miracle in dealing with corona virus and other aspects but dont taking into account their population is only 4.8 million etc and it was mainly tourism that drove the economy which has basically been hit hardest. Much different to a large economy that does not have tourism at its heart.

But that is not the point - why to move to a 4 day week?

After all, tourism is a 7 day a week activity, us as a proud manufacturing / financial services economy works on a 5 day week so why not a 4 day week?

An economy that has tourism at its heart would be much harder hit than ours.

6 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

That is this incompetent Goverment all over dither dither dither,  a repeat of the initial lockdown decision. :huh:

Whiplash Boris - make an ineffectual decision and then change it... which way is the wind blowing?

10 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

It's ok though our Government obviously know something we don't, I suppose and that's why it isn't till 8th June. You would have thought that the Government had learnt their lesson after leaving the lockdown so late when other countries were implementing one.

Edited by iansheff

20 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Thank you. That's helpful.

So it appears that, as per usual, some people are all too quick and excitable to start finger pointing and making comparisons about how great other countries are doing things without actually understanding the full context and facts to make it relevant to our own situation.

And some people believce the first thing they read that refutes an opposing opinion...

Make your own mind up based on facts.

That is what this government hasn't done - it has followed populist opinion in an attempt to milk favour - pathetic spineless governing from a racist, sexist, bully of a PM

Just now, iansheff said:

It's ok though our Government obviously know something we don't I suppose and that's why it isn't till 8th June. You would have thought that the Government had learnt their lesson after leaving the lockdown so late when other countries were implementing one.

They learn nothing unless it is backed by their sponsors ££££ or by bought votes...

They don't care about the population, only about their next paycheck...

2 hours ago, Litotes said:

But that is not the point - why to move to a 4 day week?

Because according to what I have read about the economics of it (you could do that as well) doing so may help to promote a better lifestyle and with more leisure time people can then use it and help boost the economy that way. When computerisation and automation was first introduce one of the driving forces to get people to accept it was they would have more leisure time. What was not factored in though was that it also made people redundant and then accept lower paid jobs, more leisure time yes but in many cases also less money to spend. This is an attempt by NZ to change that order giving the same pay as working for 5 days so more time for leisure and spending it.

As far as I can tell..... :)

After all, tourism is a 7 day a week activity, us as a proud manufacturing / financial services economy works on a 5 day week so why not a 4 day week?

Do you think that someone in tourism works 7 days a week because it is a 7 day activity or is it more likely that the 7 days is shared just like it is in shops that are open 7 days? It may be the case that more people will become employed to fill those extra days. So far it is just a proposal so not sure how far it has been worked out economically but I do hope it get approved as it is a very interesting idea.

An economy that has tourism at its heart would be much harder hit than ours.

I agree and that is why the have been very quick in introducing lockdown and corona virus measures. Given that NZ has a population density of around 18 people per square kilometre compared to the UK with its 259 people per square kilometer it was easier to do. 

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, butlers said:

The bloke who was behind the cult that is restricting our freedom of movement doesn’t like his freedom of movement being restricted. 

Edited by Mister Gee

31 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

The bloke who was behind the cult that is restricting our freedom of movement doesn’t like his freedom of movement being restricted. 

Bet he keeps his job.

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Bet he keeps his job.

Without doubt, Bonkers couldn’t cope without Rasputin.

If Domo should go, then so should BoJo and all the others who have broken lockdown.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Because according to what I have read about the economics of it (you could do that as well) doing so may help to promote a better lifestyle and with more leisure time people can then use it and help boost the economy that way. When computerisation and automation was first introduce one of the driving forces to get people to accept it was they would have more leisure time. What was not factored in though was that it also made people redundant and then accept lower paid jobs, more leisure time yes but in many cases also less money to spend. This is an attempt by NZ to change that order giving the same pay as working for 5 days so more time for leisure and spending it.

As far as I can tell..... :)

Do you think that someone in tourism works 7 days a week because it is a 7 day activity or is it more likely that the 7 days is shared just like it is in shops that are open 7 days? It may be the case that more people will become employed to fill those extra days. So far it is just a proposal so not sure how far it has been worked out economically but I do hope it get approved as it is a very interesting idea.

I agree and that is why the have been very quick in introducing lockdown and corona virus measures. Given that NZ has a population density of around 18 people per square kilometre compared to the UK with its 259 people per square kilometer it was easier to do. 

And according to what I have read - and you could do that as well, is that in every technological revolution - despite what the luddites and saboteurs (look up the derivation of the word) have predicted - employment has gone up.

And the value to the economy of those jobs has gone up.

People do not have to 'accept' lower paid jobs - it is a supply / demand balance. it seems that a 1970s mentality that all jobs are created equal and that all jobs are a god given right is coming back.

NZ is attempting to rebalance the life/work balance in a way that we should consider.