Coronavirus

Groose

As we have mentioned several times. We will not tolerate any sort of attacking other users, fake news and bickering.  No further warnings will be given, your account will be suspeded.

Message added by Groose

31 minutes ago, melthebell said:

like when they were counting tests in the posts? its all fiddling the facts, and numbers you know that, 2 tests on the same person dont make a dent on the figures what we need is MORE people being tested NOT more tests...on the same people, its the old 350 million on the side of the bus again, saying one thing but in a way that it deceives people

The mistake the government made was giving a figure to the media to measure them against.

testing is just data gathering really - how many have got it.

testing me negatively today doesn’t mean I’m not positive tomorrow.

id prefer 25000 a day in one city - so we can get an idea of prevalence.

Also - we’ve been told today that the overall mortality rate in the country currently is that from an “average” winter. Albeit in spring.

like 2 years ago when we didn’t have an “average” winter - and we recorded 50,000 excess deaths -  but no one noticed.

25 minutes ago, makapaka said:

The mistake the government made was giving a figure to the media to measure them against.

Also - we’ve been told today that the overall mortality rate in the country currently is that from an “average” winter. Albeit in spring.

like 2 years ago when we didn’t have an “average” winter - and we recorded 50,000 excess deaths -  but no one noticed.

Perhaps because we normally have a minimum of 25k excess deaths in winter.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/excesswintermortalityinenglandandwales/2018to2019provisionaland2017to2018final

We don't ever have anywhere near 55k excess deaths in 8 weeks in spring.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/19/almost-55000-excess-uk-deaths-during-covid-19-outbreak-says-ons

Edited by Longcol

40 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I think the antibody test will be really useful, that will tell us a lot. Expect about 200,000  a day and some posties with stiff backs by the end of June!

19 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Yes we don’t normally have this many deaths in spring. Presumably because we’ve got a new virus going round. 

if you can try and find a post on here about the 50000 Excess deaths in 2018 though I’d be surprised.

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think the antibody test will be really useful, that will tell us a lot. Expect about 200,000  a day and some posties with stiff backs by the end of June!

It will only be useful for analysis.

its not been proven you can’t get it again. The idea that an antibody test means you’re ok isn’t proven.

Mentioned it in a post on Thursday afternoon in relation to people not social distancing on beaches & parks in the UK & our feeble fines & the fact that authorities would rather talk to people than fne them for breaking the current regulations. 

Today, once again, the ITN news showed scenes at Southend & a park in Birmingham with people, mingling with each other & openly boasting about defying the regulations.  As one 20-something stated, "What you gonna' do? It is, what it is."  And if he & the rest of his family were to be fined, what is it? £100.

Contrast this with the reporter doing a piece for the BBC's Coronavirus Newscast on tonight.  The reporter had flown into Athens today, was immediately swabbed by the authorities before leaving the airport & was TOLD to stay in his hotel for 24 hours & at some stage he will be contacted with his results. 

Should he even think about leaving the hotel during his quarantine period, the fine is €5,000.  Now that level of fine would make you think about breaking regulations. 

And what are we doing here?  Thinking about, (3 months to late), ASKING arrivals to PLEASE quarantine, depending on where they've come from?  So maybe we will, maybe we won't but you can bet they won't be looking at a £5,000 fine for breaking quarantine.  More likely to be facing a servere finger wagging from officials. 

Edited by Baron99

18 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Mentioned it in a post on Thursday afternoon in relation to people not social distancing on beaches & parks in the UK & our feeble fines & the fact that authorities would rather talk to people than fne them for breaking the current regulations. 

Today, once again, the ITN news showed scenes at Southend & a park in Birmingham with people, mingling with each other & openly boasting about defying the regulations.  As one 20-something stated, "What you gonna' do? It is, what it is."  And if he & the rest of his family were to be fined, what is it? £100.

Contrast this with the reporter doing a piece for the BBC's Coronavirus Newscast on tonight.  The reporter had flown into Athens today, was immediately swabbed by the authorities before leaving the airport & was TOLD to stay in his hotel for 24 hours & at some stage he will be contacted with his results. 

Should he even think about leaving the hotel during his quarantine period, the fine is €5,000.  Now that level of fine would make you think about breaking regulations. 

And what are we doing here?  Thinking about, (3 months to late), ASKING arrivals to PLEASE quarantine, depending on where they've come from?  So maybe we will, maybe we won't but you can bet they won't be looking at a £5,000 fine for breaking quarantine.  More likely to be facing a servere finger wagging from officials. 

Most people observe social distancing - do any of your friends and family not follow it?

mine don’t.

nor anybody I know.

but I bet you the news could find some people who don’t.

9 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Most people observe social distancing - do any of your friends and family not follow it?

mine don’t.

nor anybody I know.

but I bet you the news could find some people who don’t.

Well if none of your family & friends follow the 2 metre rule, it to be hoped that you don't end up suffering from their stupidity. 

Said it before.  I'd rather read about some covidiot being £100 out of pocket than read about the death of some poor soul whose had the misfortune to come, through no fault of their own, into contact with a covidiot. 

Edited by Baron99

18 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well if none of your family & friends follow the 2 metre rule, it to be hoped that you don't end up suffering from their stupidity. 

Said it before.  I'd rather read about some covidiot being £100 out of pocket than read about the death of some poor soul whose had the misfortune to come, through no fault of their own, into contact with a covidiot. 

Sorry I think I wasn’t clear - i was saying they don’t go against the guidance.

most people don’t.

5 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Sorry I think I wasn’t clear - i was saying they don’t go against the guidance.

most people don’t.

I was wondering.  Over the years I've judged you to be a stickler for the rules. 

Stay safe. 

We’re a disparate family of 5, last together for youngest son’s birthday 14 March. I’m shielding, eldest son had symptoms end of March and isolated 14 days. By mutual parental consent he did not see his daughter until 14 May, they both walked from S2 to S6 to sit in my garden whilst I spoke to them through my window, today my youngest son had visited from Nottingham under the same conditions.  We’ve done this to keep each other safe. Those breaking social distancing rules obviously have no concept or concern of their actions 

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Yes, Greece has been one of the most successful countries at handling this.

The crowding in some uk parks and beaches is ridiculous and it won’t be surprising if this gets worse over the bank holiday weekend. I believe that the risk from brief outdoor contact (such as passing someone in the street) is vanishingly small (if not non existent) provided they don’t cough or sneeze right in your face.  But crowding together for extended periods is risky. 

19 hours ago, steved32 said:

I know where he isn't...  anywhere near the daily briefings.

Boris is still ill.  He is a public example of what this virus does to a person.  Lockdown meant do not circulate but has not been very successful due to sunseekers etc  Stay safe by looking after yourself and family