Coronavirus

Groose

As we have mentioned several times. We will not tolerate any sort of attacking other users, fake news and bickering.  No further warnings will be given, your account will be suspeded.

Message added by Groose

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Over the past few weeks I been looking on a webcam website Skylinewebcams.  They show webcams from all over the place.

Looking today at Blackpool's Goldenn Mile & hardly anyone about.  As you say, today wasn't the warmest day. 

Great website though to look at all places all over the world & see how their lockdowns were being observed. 

To see empty beaches with just rows & rows of deck chairs in Tenerife or empty roads a few weeks ago around Rome''s Coluseum & a deserted Trevi Fountain with a lone police officer just strolling about at midday.  Strangely fascinating. 

I use Skyline webcams a lot, there are a few on the beach at Palaiokastritsa Corfu today and there were a few on the beach at Parga the other day, I suppose it is to be expected as they have lifted their restrictions.

There was  video posted on FB yesterday showing a very busy beach on Rhodes, hardly surprising when the temperature was about 40 degrees.

7 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Yet, my Uncle's cancer treatment is still being withheld due to the hospital not having the capacity.

I think you may find that its actually not being withheld but put on hold for safety reasons and not because of any capacity problems. 

On 16/05/2020 at 12:34, swarfendor437 said:

A US member on the forum I moderate for posted a few weeks ago that following simulation tests have shown that this particular corona virus is more potent than other ones with someone coughing 20 feet away could transmit the virus and joggers have been found to leave a 40 foot trailing wake behind them.

On a different note, instead of just one day a week of appreciation for NHS staff we should do it each night as they do in Los Angeles:

https://youtu.be/a5j50F4rlzA

missed a word out - asymptomatic joggers leaving a 40 foot trailing wake!

Interesting video with Joe Rogan and Dr. Rhonda Patrick on the growing amounts of data showing correlation between vitamin D deficiency and susceptibility to coronavirus and respiratory disease in general. 

25 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Interesting video with Joe Rogan and Dr. Rhonda Patrick on the growing amounts of data showing correlation between vitamin D deficiency and susceptibility to coronavirus and respiratory disease in general.

Perhaps we should consider reopening hair/beauty salons, so that those that normally use sun bed can do so.

30 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Interesting yes but that's about it. According to research by Dr.Rhodes of Manchester Uni a normal light skinned person only needs to be outside in moderate sunshine for around 9 minutes a day to get all the Vit D a body needs. According to the NHS it is advisable to take Vit D if you are indoors most of the time but there is no evidence that it reduces the risk of Coronavirus.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Domin0 said:

What will change in another week? My point is that no matter when you ease the lockdown, infections will rise again. 

I think the intention is that people are allowed to visit outdoor beauty spots for walks and picnics. It's not intended for people to do that by travelling to one at the opposite side of the country. It's difficult to set (and then police) a limit to that though. Easier to say you're allowed to travel to beauty spots and work on the assumption most people will only travel locally to one and not a 12 hour round trip to Cornwall.

Just seen the BBC news with a report from a beach on the South Coast & a nearby coastal path.  The coastal path, up & down the hill sides, one single path about 3ft wide with people virtually brushing past each other. 

The ironic piece of the report was the BBC reporter interviewing a family sat on the beach with the mother of the family stating that she was was surprised by how many people were on the beach, seemingly oblivious to the fact that she'd told the reporter that her & her family had just driven for an hour & a half to get to the beach. Hmmmm? 

Edited by Baron99

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, apelike said:

Interesting yes but that's about it. According to research by Dr.Rhodes of Manchester Uni a normal light skinned person only needs to be outside in moderate sunshine for around 9 minutes a day to get all the Vit D a body needs. According to the NHS it is advisable to take Vit D if you are indoors most of the time but there is no evidence that it reduces the risk of Coronavirus.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

As mentioned in the video there is lots of indications of correlation of vitamin D deficiency and increased likelihood of dying from cornavirus [or any respiratory illness].

While according to research by Dr.Rhodes of Manchester Uni a normal light skinned person only needs to be outside in moderate sunshine for around 9 minutes a day to get all the Vit D a body needs the fact remains that many in the UK are vitamin D deficient, presumably either due to the research being flawed, or, 9 minutes of sunshine/day being difficult for many to acheive?

[Even harder to acheive during lockdown]

Of course black and ethnic minority people tend to be even more likely to be vitamin D deficient as dark skin cannot absorb vitamin D as well as light skin. Worth noting that black and ethnic minority people have higher levels of death from coronavirus, might be a connection there.

Edited by onewheeldave

41 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Of course black and ethnic minority people tend to be even more likely to be vitamin D deficient as dark skin cannot absorb vitamin D as well as light skin. Worth noting that black and ethnic minority people have higher levels of death from coronavirus, might be a connection there.

Just listened to radio four fact check about vitamin D; there is no real evidence that the lack of vitamin D is a factor, just circumstantial evidence.

This is probably better than watching that video clip and explains why and when it may be necessary to take supplements. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52371688

The presenter on that video is taking the equivalent of 125uG a day when the recommended dose should be around 10 and not exceed 100!

17 hours ago, Halibut said:

I think you'll find you're wrong.

I'm not on about carriers of the virus, I'm on about people who have actually contracted the virus, they are two completely different things. A carrier doesn't actually contract the disease but carries it in their nose and spreads it from there. Sneezing, blowing their nose and not washing their hands etc, the list is endless. I could be carrying a nasty strain of meningitis in my nose as I speak, or a nasty seasonal flu virus. You do know the nose swab is to detect this right? If i'm not actually infected I could still be a carrier, hence my post regarding not believing anyone infected would not feel at least under the weather for a day or two, and should have followed the original guidance to self isolate. 

Posted (edited)

This afternoon I just caught the back end of a news item about 30 million vaccines against Covid 19 could be available by Autumn.

Terrific news and couldn’t wait to get the full details when I got home.

I really should have known better.

A deal has apparently been struck with Astra Zeneca to produce the vaccine in quantity ......once it has been created and tested???

Who is behind this governments PR .

Boris says “a test to confirm if you have had Coronavirus will be a game changer”

We have now got this test but cannot consistently achieve the 100,000 per day promised by Hancock by the end of April.(Despite some creative use of statistics)

2 weeks to the end of May before we can expect the 200,000 per day promised by Boris.

The pile of <removed> continues to grow to provide fertile ground for Keir Starmer to ask the questions that need answers.

Meanwhile Mondays, Daily Mail has the good news as it’s banner headline,with the conditions in a much smaller font.

Edited by nikki-red