Coronavirus

Groose

As we have mentioned several times. We will not tolerate any sort of attacking other users, fake news and bickering.  No further warnings will be given, your account will be suspeded.

Message added by Groose

A planned pandemic.

Already had dry runs of this.

Not a lot of point in talking about it.

It's happened...And there's not much you can do about it.

44 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

How many other infectious diseases (which have spread as far as this) spontaneously finish ? Particularly when active steps are being taken to prevent as many people as possible from becoming infected ? Isn't the answer zero ?

I did a very brief bit of digging on pandemics... Some did go away through isolation and therefore preventing transmission (e.g. Black Death, Cholera, SARS) while others relied on immunity (small pox in South and Central America) and/or vaccine (smallpox mk2 in Europe).

So I wouldn't agree the answer is zero, and I wouldn't say that they spontaneously finish either. However, I do think transmission of the virus can be halted and hotter temperatures (at least where I am) will also hold it back. 

https://www.history.com/news/pandemics-end-plague-cholera-black-death-smallpox

41 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

How many other infectious diseases (which have spread as far as this) spontaneously finish ? Particularly when active steps are being taken to prevent as many people as possible from becoming infected ? Isn't the answer zero ?

the answer is pretty much all of them

however, this is far more infectious than most of the diseases we come across. this coupled with global travel has spread this around the world before public health services have had chance to catch up. 

in the uk, active steps only really started to be taken on monday. the people in the hospital now will largely have caught it last week before 

Just been reading about Sweden's curious reaction to the virus threat, which sets it completely at odds with the majority of other European/Scandinavian countries.

A very strange statistic was revealed...

"More than half of Swedish households are made up of one person, which cuts the risk of the virus spreading within families."

i am wondering if the figures about the virus are getting deliberately fiddled, i have a friend who was in Spain a couple off weeks ago and was on the lock down, he got a flight home and within a couple of days he was bed ridden and telling everyone he had caught the virus, he has made no recovery ,and  was took to hospital this Friday morning and is on a ventilator unable to breath, he says they have tested him for the virus and say he doesnt have it but has a chest infection and pneumonia, i dont seem to think it rings true to me, i am suspicious he has the virus and dont want to tell him for some reason

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

Anybody notice the report from Russia on the BBC news last night?

It showed a church, absolutely rammed with people, all praying for relief from the virus.

There were two women also trying to access the church, who were asked if they were worried about the number of people inside who might be infected.

"No. We'll not catch anything in there. It's a holy place."

Fine, I suppose, to have that much faith, but then it transpired that the woman who'd spoken was.... a doctor.

I saw that. I won't repeat my reaction here as I'll get a forum holiday. I hope the reporter pointed out to them that a church in South Korea that was at one point responsible for 60% of that county's infections but I suspect it wouldn't have done any good.

Putin's going to have a big problem on his hands if that view is widely prevalent in the country.

18 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

i am wondering if the figures about the virus are getting deliberately fiddled, i have a friend who was in Spain a couple off weeks ago and was on the lock down, he got a flight home and within a couple of days he was bed ridden and telling everyone he had caught the virus, he has made no recovery ,and  was took to hospital this Friday morning and is on a ventilator unable to breath, he says they have tested him for the virus and say he doesnt have it but has a chest infection and pneumonia, i dont seem to think it rings true to me, i am suspicious he has the virus and dont want to tell him for some reason

You might want to consider whether you should be more worried that he has pneumonia.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eddie_shef said:

Malaria is still a massive killer, but it has been possible to eradicate it from certain areas, and it is possible to eradicate it globally if we wanted.

Even with COV19 and all the other mass killers, the global population will still increase by over 15 million per year. So we need to take everything in context.

Edited by El Cid

30 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

It may be true. You have to remember that people are still getting ill from other things, and, in fact dying from them. In fact I'd suggest the death rate from "other things" will go up because so much attention is being focussed on this virus. Even more significant, most of those who get this virus severely have underlying health issues, which skews the death rate from dying from the virus, to dying with the virus. To put it in its base form, they'd have died anyway, it sounds cynical, but it's just statistically accurate. To put it another way, around 500,000 people die in the UK every year, and I'd have thought the vast majority of them are over 70 and have underlying health issues.

46 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

the answer is pretty much all of them

however, this is far more infectious than most of the diseases we come across. this coupled with global travel has spread this around the world before public health services have had chance to catch up. 

in the uk, active steps only really started to be taken on monday. the people in the hospital now will largely have caught it last week before 

Sorry, are you saying pretty much all infectious diseases die out of their own accord ? I mean fully die out so they cease to exist (and before everyone has developed an immunity to them) ?

2 hours ago, Eddie_shef said:

Is that true though? I thought with high temps it won't survive. As long as people recover, and no new people get it, won't the virus go away? Barring another bat soup incident of course..

I'm  not sure what the temperature  is in Italy and Spain at the moment but I'm  sure it's  higher than ours and it seems to be thriving there.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

i am wondering if the figures about the virus are getting deliberately fiddled

I dont think they are, but 14,058 people died in the UK, from various causes in the first week of Jan 2020, before there were any UK contracted COV19 deaths in the UK.

The latest figures show total UK deaths for March were 10/11,000 per week. So there are currently fewer deaths than at the start of the year. Was there a panic in January?

Edited by El Cid

1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

i am wondering if the figures about the virus are getting deliberately fiddled, 

Some of what is taking place would blow your mind, believe me. 

2 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Anybody notice the report from Russia on the BBC news last night?

It showed a church, absolutely rammed with people, all praying for relief from the virus.

There were two women also trying to access the church, who were asked if they were worried about the number of people inside who might be infected.

"No. We'll not catch anything in there. It's a holy place."

Fine, I suppose, to have that much faith, but then it transpired that the woman who'd spoken was.... a doctor.

Yes I saw that as well but I've just seen a report on RT where one of there reporters was taking you all round the most frequented sites in Moscow, both for the locals & tourists like Gorky Park & near to the Kremlin & there was hardly a soul to be seen.  All the Moscow parks are now closed as is a large square that has a large number of eateries & well known bars. 

It must only be the churches that remain open at present. 

We're due to go on holiday to the Channel Islands in July so I've been keeping an eye out as to what's happening down there?

Incredibly, given all the warnings, ITN / Guernsey News are running a report that one individual who had full symptoms of COVID-19, carried on with their daily work / life & the Guernsey authorities are now trying to trace 73 other people they reckon they have been in contact with. 

I've come across an apt term today, to be applied to those individuals who don't think self-isolation or social distancing applies to them - 'COVIDIOTS' 

Having seen a good 50 or so people all massed around the main door of The Moor Market yesterday morning with hardly any gaps between them, we've got a few covidiots in this city.