Shops On West Street Sold, Former Old Red Lion Still Abandoned?

10 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

See this is where I get confused (now't new there then) 

From the BOTTOM of West Street (from Holly St upwards)(1972 Kellys) we have Grays - an  antique shop - a Bakers - City school of motoring & Conways (No 62). etc. The limit didn't open till 1979 and the building it was in was the old Co-op clothes factory (No 70-82)

I remember the little lane well (West bank lane) and the Grapes on Trippet Lane again many happy hours underage drinking in there. i remember the heavily Tiled walls as you walked in.

I knew Conways had been on the opposite side of the road from the Red Lion at one point because I was half way through having a Ted suit made up and had to have the final fitting across the road upstairs in the Red Lion block of shops.

By 1979 I was married, Kids, house etc and although we did frequent West Street - Beehive was always one of our fav's, West st hotel, Saddle, Mail coach, Raven, Washington etc, etc, etc. night clubs were never our thing (Motorcycles- Custom Cars)

I can now picture where the limit must have been thanks.

I googled Broughton House and yes that is the new (at the time) dole office i was referring to - to think they turned it into apartments lol.

I remember the Old Employment Exchange on West street further up not that we needed one back then if you were unemployed then there had to be something seriously wrong.

Don't know if you opened / can open the other section below the photo; 'Show all images of the limit west street sheffield'? 

Some great photos of the flyers / posters for The Limit.  See the Human League for 20p. 

Pulp for £1.  Obviously later, Pulp must have built up a bit of a following because their tickets had gone up to £1.50.

Click on one of the poster / flyer photos & it should take you to others?

'Adam & the Ants (be early) 60p'.

https://images.app.goo.gl/SoCdPtMkTjN9fug69

Edited by Baron99

On 14/04/2020 at 20:26, Baron99 said:

Here's an old photo that might help pinpoint it?  It also shows the chip shop that WarPig refers to. 

The Dolly Mix shop next to the chippy in that photo was a sandwich shop around 1988, owned by the same owner as the chip shop, a guy called Al. He introduced me to bacon and cheese sandwiches with brown sauce. Thanks Al 

In one of the pictures on this site https://www.dhi.ac.uk/mobile-tours/sheffield-music-map/tour/location.php?app_id=1&tour_id=1&marker=6&n=1 you can see the name Big Als Fish and Chip shop.

Edited by WarPig

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Don't know if you opened / can open the other section below the photo; 'Show all images of the limit west street sheffield'? 

Some great photos of the flyers / posters for The Limit.  See the Human League for 20p. 

Pulp for £1.  Obviously later, Pulp must have built up a bit of a following because their tickets had gone up to £1.50.

Click on one of the poster / flyer photos & it should take you to others?

'Adam & the Ants (be early) 60p'.

Thank you Baron.

I have seen these before but like I said the whole nightclub scene wasn't something we did. (motorcycles, cars, family)

I could write a book on the bands (& things we got up to) we saw at the City Hall in the late 60's & 70's and looking back at some of the prices they were even cheaper not that we paid (but thats another story).

As for the Human League we saw them when they were still Musical Vomit many times for nothing.

We met Poly Styrene & she was quoted as saying that Musical Vomit were the first British Punk Rockers.

I agree with her, heavily influenced by Alice Cooper the Musical Vomit Stage Act's were just that proper Stage act's.

Poly had wanted to take the boys down to London because things were happening down there music wise (pre Punk Rock)

Now I have a THEORY and listen me out on this one. Poly comes up from London watches them practice at the MEAT WHISTLE, wants to take Musical Vomit (Britains very own first punk Rock band) back down to London to meet some boys SHE thinks they should meet. For what ever reason they didn't go. Shortly after that the whole Punk Rock scene kicks off and at the FOREFRONT of this is a band called the SEX PISTOLS.

Now I've mentioned this many times Musical Vomit practiced and played at the Musical Theatre club The MEAT WHISTLE. (op Red Lion)

So any one else (engage smutty minds at this point please) see the obvious similarities with a 

MEAT WHISTLE     & a

SEX PISTOL              ???????

Happy Daze.

On 15/04/2020 at 10:23, Rockers rule said:

See this is where I get confused (now't new there then) 

From the BOTTOM of West Street (from Holly St upwards)(1972 Kellys) we have Grays - an  antique shop - a Bakers - City school of motoring & Conways (No 62). etc. The limit didn't open till 1979 and the building it was in was the old Co-op clothes factory (No 70-82)

I remember the little lane well (West bank lane) and the Grapes on Trippet Lane again many happy hours underage drinking in there. i remember the heavily Tiled walls as you walked in.

I knew Conways had been on the opposite side of the road from the Red Lion at one point because I was half way through having a Ted suit made up and had to have the final fitting across the road upstairs in the Red Lion block of shops.

By 1979 I was married, Kids, house etc and although we did frequent West Street - Beehive was always one of our fav's, West st hotel, Saddle, Mail coach, Raven, Washington etc, etc, etc. night clubs were never our thing (Motorcycles- Custom Cars)

I can now picture where the limit must have been thanks.

I googled Broughton House and yes that is the new (at the time) dole office i was referring to - to think they turned it into apartments lol.

I remember the Old Employment Exchange on West street further up not that we needed one back then if you were unemployed then there had to be something seriously wrong.

Broughton House is partly on the site of what was the Wharncliffe Arms, at least the corner it's on used to be that pub. Not sure what was next to it on West Street, then after that was the pub that was last West Street Ale House, which was knocked down a couple of years ago and is now also flats (student accommodation).

4 hours ago, kaaalie said:

Broughton House is partly on the site of what was the Wharncliffe Arms, at least the corner it's on used to be that pub. Not sure what was next to it on West Street, then after that was the pub that was last West Street Ale House, which was knocked down a couple of years ago and is now also flats (student accommodation).

There is a photo on picturesheffield.com of the Wharncliffe Arms (No 42-44). Well before my time Kaaalie