Shops On West Street Sold, Former Old Red Lion Still Abandoned?

I used to frequent the sandwich shop 1980 I worked across the road in the Steel city Post office .

On 09/04/2020 at 18:42, kaaalie said:

image.png.268e57f53ad7c0c5f3292e37c137c2

HAPPY DAZE underage drinking in the Red lion.

I notice the outside rather disgusting toilets are no longer there.

I cannot remember what shops were around the corner at the time but I'm pretty sure the arched doorway in this photo led up to Conway Tailors which was on the first floor (possibly to the left hand side where it says hair dressing. 

I had quite a few Ted Suit's made by Conway (and still have them) (some of them still fit - lol).

The last time I talked to Sheffields own Dave Berry was in the Red Lion many years ago.

We used to frequent the Meat Whistle dead opposite the Red Lion (Sheffield School Board building).

I cannot believe we more or less had the run of that imposing  building.

The Human League were still playing under the name Musical Vomit back then and The Meat Whistle was one of the places they practiced.

Happy Daze

Happy Daze indeed.

Rocker.

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

HAPPY DAZE underage drinking in the Red lion.

I notice the outside rather disgusting toilets are no longer there.

I cannot remember what shops were around the corner at the time but I'm pretty sure the arched doorway in this photo led up to Conway Tailors which was on the first floor (possibly to the left hand side where it says hair dressing. 

I had quite a few Ted Suit's made by Conway (and still have them) (some of them still fit - lol).

The last time I talked to Sheffields own Dave Berry was in the Red Lion many years ago.

We used to frequent the Meat Whistle dead opposite the Red Lion (Sheffield School Board building).

I cannot believe we more or less had the run of that imposing  building.

The Human League were still playing under the name Musical Vomit back then and The Meat Whistle was one of the places they practiced.

Happy Daze

Happy Daze indeed.

Rocker.

I remember the outside toilets well. You could watch the lasses walking through the yard to the back door while you were stood there having a pee, lol.

I wonder what happened to the cast iron Trent River Board plate that was nailed to the WC door.

42 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I remember the outside toilets well. You could watch the lasses walking through the yard to the back door while you were stood there having a pee, lol.

I wonder what happened to the cast iron Trent River Board plate that was nailed to the WC door.

Thank you Jim the water board plate rings a bell. I remember the stage being rather on the small size, didn't it only have a juke box on it at one point. One of my mates met us in the red lion the day after we'd seen Peter Gabriel at the city hall. He'd only shaved his head in the same way, ie a large grove out of it - it never did grow back. He played Sax with Musical Musical Vomit at one point (from behind a wooden door with cut outs for his hands and one for the mouth piece)

Kaptain Zap are you still out there? 

Rocker.

I was never sure who had the worse toilets the Lion or the Albert?

14 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Thank you Jim the water board plate rings a bell. I remember the stage being rather on the small size, didn't it only have a juke box on it at one point. One of my mates met us in the red lion the day after we'd seen Peter Gabriel at the city hall. He'd only shaved his head in the same way, ie a large grove out of it - it never did grow back. He played Sax with Musical Musical Vomit at one point (from behind a wooden door with cut outs for his hands and one for the mouth piece)

Kaptain Zap are you still out there? 

Rocker.

I was never sure who had the worse toilets the Lion or the Albert?

Yes, the juke box was in the far corner of the main room. There was a small room to the left of the building that had its own entrance and no connecting door to the rest of the pub. A very popular three card brag school operated in there.

52 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Yes, the juke box was in the far corner of the main room. There was a small room to the left of the building that had its own entrance and no connecting door to the rest of the pub. A very popular three card brag school operated in there.

I remember the 'snug' well.

I always remember the Lion with fondness and how busy the place used to be.

infact back then there wasn't many pubs that wern't busy nearly every night around that area.

Happy Daze.

On 11/04/2020 at 18:34, Rockers rule said:

Yes, Conway Taylors. From where I worked (just a few shops up) I would walk down to the sandwich shop and back numerous times each day, getting everyone breakfast & lunch. I would walk past Conway Taylors and he would often be stood in the doorway having a fag. I always thought it must be an old fashioned tailors and the place never appealed to me at the time (not that I could afford a made to measure suit back then), but I guess they would have been good quality suits. I wonder what happened to him, and why he closed?

Slightly further up and across the road was a fish n chip shop and a sandwich shop next door, they were owned by the same bloke who I think was called Big Al? He was a big bloke with black hair and looked Greek or Turkish. He was a nice bloke but for some reason I hardly used his sandwich shop and always felt guilty when he saw me leave the office and go to Hallam Bakery instead.

7 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

I remember the 'snug' well.

I always remember the Lion with fondness and how busy the place used to be.

infact back then there wasn't many pubs that wern't busy nearly every night around that area.

Happy Daze.

So when the new pub opened next door - Barkers, was it knocked through into the Red Lion from the start, or was that later?

I also remember Millionaires opening on Carver St and went in for lunch on its open day. I'd be about 16 back then in 1988.

Edited by WarPig

15 minutes ago, WarPig said:

Yes, Conway Taylors. From where I worked (just a few shops up) I would walk down to the sandwich shop and back numerous times each day, getting everyone breakfast & lunch. I would walk past Conway Taylors and he would often be stood in the doorway having a fag. I always thought it must be an old fashioned tailors and the place never appealed to me at the time (not that I could afford a made to measure suit back then), but I guess they would have been good quality suits. I wonder what happened to him, and why he closed?

Slightly further up and across the road was a fish n chip shop and a sandwich shop next door, they were owned by the same bloke who I think was called Big Al? He was a big bloke with black hair and looked Greek or Turkish. He was a nice bloke but for some reason I hardly used his sandwich shop and always felt guilty when he saw me leave the office and go to Hallam Bakery instead.

So when the new pub opened next door - Barkers, was it knocked through into the Red Lion from the start, or was that later?

I also remember Millionaires opening on Carver St and went in for lunch on its open day. I'd be about 16 back then in 1988.

Things have changed a lot and we moved out of Sheff in 89 so I wasn't aware of what was happening around the area later on.

Greys motorcycle shop was on the opposite side of the road on West St and i'm almost sure Conways first shop  was somewhere near Greys before he moved across the road to the upstairs premises. Yes Mr Conway enjoyed his ciggies (i'd forgot about that) but he did turn out some very nice Drape Jackets.

I remember a sandwich shop further up from Greys.

On 12/04/2020 at 21:02, Rockers rule said:

Things have changed a lot and we moved out of Sheff in 89 so I wasn't aware of what was happening around the area later on.

I left school and started work on West St in 1988, for four years, which is the period where i have my memories. From my work place (which was actually the next block up from these shops) I watched the chip shop, sandwich shop and other shops on the other side of West St being pulled down for a large new government office block to be built, next to The Limit. Maybe even The Limit wa puled down for this office block, I can't recall.

the office block was the new dole office & I think it took the limit away, Greys, Conways and a few more at the same time.

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

the office block was the new dole office & I think it took the limit away, Greys, Conways and a few more at the same time.

The Limit was replaced with an a larger building but not the DHSS / Jobcentre building.  That's further up West St. at the Rockingham Street junction. 

Think you're referring to Broughton House or something similar but I think this is too far down West Street?  I'm sure The Limit was just a bit further up West Street? 

Here's an old photo that might help pinpoint it?  It also shows the chip shop that WarPig refers to. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/SoCdPtMkTjN9fug69

There was a backway, up a steep gennel from Trippet Lane, opposite The Dog & Partridge, which when you came up, seem to remember you turned left & headed slightly back down West St.  Believe it's still there, next to Maida Vale Bar? 

You'd think that because of all the bands / groups who played there, many well before they were really famous, someone would have put up some kind of heritage plaque? 

Edited by Baron99

14 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The Limit was replaced with an a larger building but not the DHSS / Jobcentre building.  That's further up West St. at the Rockingham Street junction. 

Think you're referring to Broughton House or something similar but I think this is too far down West Street?  I'm sure The Limit was just a bit further up West Street? 

Here's an old photo that might help pinpoint it?  It also shows the chip shop that WarPig refers to. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/SoCdPtMkTjN9fug69

There was a backway, up a steep gennel from Trippet Lane, opposite The Dog & Partridge, which when you came up, seem to remember you turned left & headed slightly back down West St.  Believe it's still there, next to Maida Vale Bar? 

You'd think that because of all the bands / groups who played there, many well before they were really famous, someone would have put up some kind of heritage plaque? 

See this is where I get confused (now't new there then) 

From the BOTTOM of West Street (from Holly St upwards)(1972 Kellys) we have Grays - an  antique shop - a Bakers - City school of motoring & Conways (No 62). etc. The limit didn't open till 1979 and the building it was in was the old Co-op clothes factory (No 70-82)

I remember the little lane well (West bank lane) and the Grapes on Trippet Lane again many happy hours underage drinking in there. i remember the heavily Tiled walls as you walked in.

I knew Conways had been on the opposite side of the road from the Red Lion at one point because I was half way through having a Ted suit made up and had to have the final fitting across the road upstairs in the Red Lion block of shops.

By 1979 I was married, Kids, house etc and although we did frequent West Street - Beehive was always one of our fav's, West st hotel, Saddle, Mail coach, Raven, Washington etc, etc, etc. night clubs were never our thing (Motorcycles- Custom Cars)

I can now picture where the limit must have been thanks.

I googled Broughton House and yes that is the new (at the time) dole office i was referring to - to think they turned it into apartments lol.

I remember the Old Employment Exchange on West street further up not that we needed one back then if you were unemployed then there had to be something seriously wrong.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info