Any Ex Abrafract Workers Out There?

Wondered if any ex Abrafract employees have any memories to share.

I'm not an ex employee but my dad was an accountant at Abrafract.

Memories of the place:

Going there as a child in the 1960's and being given sweets from Bassett's by Miss Millson one of the secretaries. My dad's treat to me was to give me sixpence to get a hot chocolate from the drink vending machine in the units to the left of the entrance.

The smell of the place - hot refractory bricks have a very distinct and not unpleasant smell. Whenever I smell them now I am transported back in time. It was nearly always hot inside the factory.

Sorry it's not much but it was over 50 years ago.

• Like 1

Superb, many thanks!

My grandfather worked there up to his death in 1972 - Mark Ellis.

• Like 1

Remember a chap called Ray Fillingham worked there.

Charlie Bagnall and his son Maurice worked there for years.

Really great to read the comments from people who knew someone that worked at Abrafract and see the old photos.

My Dad Alan Ridgway worked there in the 60's and 70's.

My biggest memory as a young girl  is going to the Christmas parties that Abrafract put on for the children of all the workers  and of course Bassets being next door,  Dad bringing home misshapes sold cheaper, jellie babies being my favourite.

My dad Ken Gill worked there from 1951 until 1983. For many of those years he was the  union shop steward. I remember watching him weigh bins of grit and carrying them across the Grit stores.  My uncles David Gill and Gilbert Hardcastle also worked there, with uncle Gilbert being the engineer on nights.

My dad, Pete Taylor worked there. Not sure how many years service. But I remember his friend Ernest Wade bought me some lovely books once.

And those Christmas parties, usually held up at Stannington.