Ditching Landline / Broadband For Sim With Unlimited Mobile Data.

On 10/04/2020 at 21:57, geared said:

There is usually limits on tethering data, even on unlimited plans.

Double check before you sign up for a mobile plan.

Three genuinely has no limits on tethering on their unlimited plans. I managed to burn through about 100GB  in a month via tethering with no issues. 

On 19/04/2020 at 15:59, Albert the Cat said:

Three genuinely has no limits on tethering on their unlimited plans. I managed to burn through about 100GB  in a month via tethering with no issues. 

I had 3's "unlimited data" I got a phone call after a few months, something about repeatedly using excess amounts, and they would start restricting my speed past a certain level (not limiting the data I transfer, just the speed) - it was dropped to 5mbps

While it might be 'unlimited' there will be other terms in there, if you use too much / keep using too much

2 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I had 3's "unlimited data" I got a phone call after a few months, something about repeatedly using excess amounts, and they would start restricting my speed past a certain level (not limiting the data I transfer, just the speed) - it was dropped to 5mbps

While it might be 'unlimited' there will be other terms in there, if you use too much / keep using too much

I don't know how they still get away with using the word "unlimited" in the same advert that has the terms like "fair usage" etc. It then becomes limited, not unlimited.  EG: You can have as much data as you want but the speed is limited to 5mbps after xxGB of data. It might be me but that is a limited connection!

Certainly worth looking out for.

34 minutes ago, zach said:

I don't know how they still get away with using the word "unlimited" in the same advert that has the terms like "fair usage" etc. It then becomes limited, not unlimited.  EG: You can have as much data as you want but the speed is limited to 5mbps after xxGB of data. It might be me but that is a limited connection!

Certainly worth looking out for.

well no, it is 'unlimited' you can use as much data as you can, just they limit the speed at which you can do so... they don't limit the AMOUNT of data, so claiming "unlimited data" is not false or inaccurate...

so "unlimited data" can still apply, with speed caps and such, and is perfectly legal, and i believe all mobile providers have such a thing in place... even on those with 'limited' data per month, they can reduce the speed if you use it "too much" (always in the terms)

Fair enough but it is still a limited connection. It's a play on words used by many companies to draw people in. In plain English, unlimited means just that, unencumbered in any way. Well, it does in my dictionary 😉

Google definition of "unlimited" : 

not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

20 hours ago, zach said:

Fair enough but it is still a limited connection. It's a play on words used by many companies to draw people in. In plain English, unlimited means just that, unencumbered in any way. Well, it does in my dictionary 😉

Google definition of "unlimited" : 

not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

Generally i'd agree, but that would be just "Unlimited" not "Unlimited Data", they specify which part (the data) is unlimited, you're right though, it's all in the wording, and it's done like that on purpose :|

Just curious, how long ago was it when they limited your bandwidth Ghozer?

3 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Generally i'd agree, but that would be just "Unlimited" not "Unlimited Data", they specify which part (the data) is unlimited, you're right though, it's all in the wording, and it's done like that on purpose :|

I noticed on one of the adverts for the new 5G contracts and they were shouting about unlimited but in small text it said that it was subject to a fair usage policy of 25GB. I can't remember the provider but I'd imagine there's going to be a few p****d off people when that kicks in.

My advice Waldo, stay with BB. I know it's an extra bill but if you're talking 100GB per month, I think most mobile providers will throw the "fair usage" at you sooner or later.

Edited by zach

3 minutes ago, zach said:

I noticed on one of the adverts for the new 5G contracts and they were shouting about unlimited but in small text it said that it was subject to a fair usage policy of 25GB. I can't remember the provider but I'd imagine there's going to be a few p****d off people when that kicks in.

My advice Waldo, stay with BB. I know it's an extra bill but if you're talking 100GB per month, I think most mobile providers will throw the "fair usage" at you sooner or later.

Yes if B.Band is paramount in your life and speed etc an issue i dont think sky is any good .

My mate has virgin mobile i think he said and its magic 

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

I think it must have been quite a long time ago.  The current Ts&Cs for Three state as follows;

- All our plans include a Personal Hotspot, with the exception of Essential plans.

- If you have Unlimited Data as part of your package or with an Add-on, there are no hidden caps or limits when using your device within the UK. Unlimited Data lets you use the internet to your heart’s content, without worrying about hefty bills.

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/three-all-you-can-eat-data-reviewed#Throttling_Traffic_Management

The above link is a review of Three in October 2019.

Seems like it really is as good as it seems.  I got my plan last year as a sim only contract at £20/month for unlimited everything and the first 6 months were only £10/month.  It has been great for me so far.

8 hours ago, Waldo said:

To be fair, it was a couple of years ago, they treated me horrid, the speed dropped over the course of a few years and all I got was "an upgrade is planned" - eventually got a date from them, and it never happened, they changed terms without informing or notifying me also...

so I left them, went for EE, about 8x faster at all times!