Are We Heading For A Recession Like In The 30s?

On 11/12/2020 at 21:04, El Cid said:

Just looking at the confidence rates in the UK, zero for businesses and -33 for consumers.

Business confidence in France, Germany, USA and Switzerland range from 57.5 to 104

The UK came bottom for consumer confidence also, with a score of -33, France is top with a score of 90

I don't think there's much doubt that post Covid and post Brexit the UK has to reinvent itself and come up with a new USP.

We seem to be mired in old ideas and old ways of doing things, and move at a snails pace to get anything done. The bureaucracy is stifling and expense is always prohibative. Why? 

I think the HS2 debacle is the perfect example of this, old technology that won't be finished until the need for it is well past.

What about investing in an underground hyperloop system?  Could be used for a Northern crossrail system too, taking out  the need to navigate over/through the Pennines.

34 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What about investing in an underground hyperloop system?  Could be used for a Northern crossrail system too, taking out  the need to navigate over/through the Pennines.

The distance needs to be bigger than navigation over the Pennines requires.

London to Glasgow maybe.  But not, for example, Sheffield to Manchester.

I wonder why Britain has recorded its biggest slump amongst any G7 country in its response to Coronavirus?

If the answer is "to save lives, obviously", then Britain hasn't done well on that score either. USA, Brazil, India, Mexico are at the bottom of the league table, with the Britain and Italy just above them.

On 16/12/2020 at 14:23, Arnold_Lane said:

The distance needs to be bigger than navigation over the Pennines requires.

London to Glasgow maybe.  But not, for example, Sheffield to Manchester.

I thought they were considering a hyperloop link between Central London and Heathrow, a distance of about 18 miles. Should take about 4 minutes.

And this: Leeds to Manchester in 7 minutes. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/leeds-manchester-seven-minutes-why-hyperloop-future-public-transport-1754940

Edited by Anna B