Are We Heading For A Recession Like In The 30s?

1 minute ago, Tomm06 said:

Fair enough. So once we have spent everyone else's money, which let's be honest would happen pretty bloody quick. Then what? 

Of course I don't have a plan, that's why it isn't my job to figure it out, I don't need one in order to know something isn't going to happen. 

I think it's going to happen in France and Germany. In Norway they give you a huge chunk of money (a high percentage of your last salary if memory serves) for many months out of their sovereign wealth fund. And that was before the pandemic.

So it might happen. 

1 minute ago, Tomm06 said:

Fair enough. So once we have spent everyone else's money, which let's be honest would happen pretty bloody quick. Then what? 

Of course I don't have a plan, that's why it isn't my job to figure it out, I don't need one in order to know something isn't going to happen. 

Ah well, if you don’t have a plan, we’ll just have to go with mine.

Don’t worry, our billionaires, oligarchs and tax evading tech companies have plenty. I doubt that we’ll ever run out of their money.

Even some of  the super rich think it’s a good idea.

10 hours ago, Tomm06 said:

Spend it again.

7 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

Spend it again.

How are you going to spend their money again if you won't allow them to open and trade to make their, sorry 'our' money. 

7 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

How are you going to spend their money again if you won't allow them to open and trade to make their, sorry 'our' money. 

How are we going to spend their money if we don’t allow any trade?

Nobody has mentioned not opening up.

35 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

How are we going to spend their money if we don’t allow any trade?

Nobody has mentioned not opening up.

These series of posts has stemmed from me asking if keeping the furlough scheme going was the better option. 

4 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

These series of posts has stemmed from me asking if keeping the furlough scheme going was the better option. 

The answer I gave you was that some of it should be kept open.

That’s different to all of it.

8 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

The answer I gave you was that some of it should be kept open.

That’s different to all of it.

'Some' as in? We can go round in circles all day long. The fact is there is absolutely no easy way of solving this without a vaccine, which isn't guaranteed. The best option right now for the nation it seems is to attempt to trade out of it. We will see how it goes, certainly an interesting few years ahead. 

10 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

'Some' as in? We can go round in circles all day long. The fact is there is absolutely no easy way of solving this without a vaccine, which isn't guaranteed. The best option right now for the nation it seems is to attempt to trade out of it. We will see how it goes, certainly an interesting few years ahead. 

No. 

The answer is to open up the bits of the economy that are safe to open and then support the others. Most of us have been subsidising the tax dodgers and profiteers for years. I’m sure a bit can flow back to make sure that we still have a vibrant and diverse economy at the end of this. 

Your way will kill even more people. 

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

No. 

The answer is to open up the bits of the economy that are safe to open and then support the others. Most of us have been subsidising the tax dodgers and profiteers for years. I’m sure a bit can flow back to make sure that we still have a vibrant and diverse economy at the end of this. 

Your way will kill even more people. 

You'll have to excuse my genocidal tendencies. What businesses are deemed important enough to open? Might I suggest we call these people, something like, I don't know. Key workers perhaps? 

5 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

You'll have to excuse my genocidal tendencies. What businesses are deemed important enough to open? Might I suggest we call these people, something like, I don't know. Key workers perhaps? 

I’m not sure if your thinking isn’t clear enough, or whether my explanation is lacking clarity.

Why would you interpret “safe to open” as “important”?

It is plainly fine for a lot of commerce to reopen. But there is a swathe of UK industry that either requires too much proximity, or is in poorly ventilated areas, or just requires big crowds. Those things still need support after October.

Are you getting there yet?

37 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I’m not sure if your thinking isn’t clear enough, or whether my explanation is lacking clarity.

Why would you interpret “safe to open” as “important”?

It is plainly fine for a lot of commerce to reopen. But there is a swathe of UK industry that either requires too much proximity, or is in poorly ventilated areas, or just requires big crowds. Those things still need support after October.

Are you getting there yet?

I think you're just about getting me there thank you Mr. If you could provide my little mind with some examples that would be helpful.