Are We Heading For A Recession Like In The 30s?

Official figures show a record number of young people are now claiming benefits.

The figure has doubled since the start of the pandemic, to 538,000 under 25s claiming Universal Credit in July, that's over 9% of all benefit claimants.

As a whole, there are now some 5.6 million people on Universal credit. That's before the furlough scheme comes to an end, when the figure is expected to jump dramatically again, and not taking into account the  reported 1 million who fall through the net or who are sanctioned at any one time.  Add to that the onward march of AI and automation taking away jobs and the future is not looking rosy.

Where are the jobs going to come from, or are we just going to increase the permanent underclass of unemployed people that formed after Thatcher cut the mines, steelworkers jobs and Northern manufacturing industries?

Recession like the 30s? No, much worse...

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Official figures show a record number of young people are now claiming benefits.

The figure has doubled since the start of the pandemic, to 538,000 under 25s claiming Universal Credit in July, that's over 9% of all benefit claimants.

As a whole, there are now some 5.6 million people on Universal credit. That's before the furlough scheme comes to an end, when the figure is expected to jump dramatically again, and not taking into account the  reported 1 million who fall through the net or who are sanctioned at any one time.  Add to that the onward march of AI and automation taking away jobs and the future is not looking rosy.

Where are the jobs going to come from, or are we just going to increase the permanent underclass of unemployed people that formed after Thatcher cut the mines, steelworkers jobs and Northern manufacturing industries?

Once (If?) things are back to normal, they'll work in the warehouses and factories that were built on top of the old pits. Fun fact, there's more people working on top of markham pit than there was when it was open. Theres a link somewhere.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Once (If?) things are back to normal, they'll work in the warehouses and factories that were built on top of the old pits. Fun fact, there's more people working on top of markham pit than there was when it was open. Theres a link somewhere.

Fun Fact! There is more people now than ever! So they'll be more people employed now than ever!

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Plus many self employed folk have no work and cannot claim benefits and therefore do not show up in the ONS figures.

5 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Fun Fact! There is more people now than ever! So they'll be more people employed now than ever!

I'm not sure what you're driving at - there would be more people working down the same mine because there are more people in the country?

Government need to do more - much more - but I'm not sure harking back to long gone industries that I'm not sure young people would queue up to work in is the way forward.

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm not sure what you're driving at - there would be more people working down the same mine because there are more people in the country?

Government need to do more - much more - but I'm not sure harking back to long gone industries that I'm not sure young people would queue up to work in is the way forward.

Got any ideas about what the government could do more of?  Genuine question, I'm all out of ideas.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Got any ideas about what the government could do more of?  Genuine question, I'm all out of ideas.

Reduce employment taxes? They tax people and then they give some people money, tax credits. Why not just tax people less?

Although with the massive COVID debt, the Tories promised not to increase income tax, NI and VAT before the last election, so how will they raise money to pay off our debt?

53 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Reduce employment taxes? They tax people and then they give some people money, tax credits. Why not just tax people less?

Although with the massive COVID debt, the Tories promised not to increase income tax, NI and VAT before the last election, so how will they raise money to pay off our debt?

One way would be to increase income tax, NI and VAT.

Promises made before an election mean nothing at the best of times, not least after a global pandemic.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

On 31/08/2020 at 12:48, andyofborg said:

but if they kept it to themselves no one would know  what they had done which would pretty much negate the effect of doing it. 

we've been quite spoiled here, we expect a better standard from our trolls. you might be better off on facebook..... 

Better of perhaps than reading posts from someone who thinks he's an imaginary star trek character.

Just as heads up ..  I don't use social media but if you a right about there being a better class of troll there I might well give it a try.

If you print or create  currency to ease a recession and let it be known then you undermine the buying power of the currency you printed and you are back to square one.  Look at the US where excessive quantative easing is driving their economy into the ground.

If no-one knows you have 'created' extra currency then the buying power is not as likely to be undermined and the desired effect is more likely to be attained.

I could argue with you all day long about this, but as I prefer not to battle with the undefended, lets just agree to differ.

2 hours ago, saywhatnow said:

http://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=PARTY

This shows one Independent, not sure which is likely to be the most up to date or accurate though 🙄

He is a former UKIP councillor, so that is probably correct. Not sure being a former UKIP councillor is a good thing, what on earth has leaving the EU got to do with being a city councillor?

Edited by El Cid

8 hours ago, El Cid said:

He is a former UKIP councillor, so that is probably correct. Not sure being a former UKIP councillor is a good thing, what on earth has leaving the EU got to do with being a city councillor?

Ha, well indeed.

Didn't realise the councillor was former UKIP so that probably explains the wiki / gov.uk difference, thanks.