Are We Heading For A Recession Like In The 30s?

On 05/04/2020 at 21:25, Mister Gee said:

from what i recall of the article, they have being giving advice to their clients along the lines of "stocks are cheap so now is a good time to buy", i imagine all similar firms are giving the same advice.

42 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

from what i recall of the article, they have being giving advice to their clients along the lines of "stocks are cheap so now is a good time to buy", i imagine all similar firms are giving the same advice.

Quite right. Very sensible advice given how stocks and shares normally work.  

I am very sure there will be lots of people, when the time comes, who will be "disgracefully" and "shamelessly" taking advantage of the low price property market that will be readily available to them or the massively discounted holidays and flights that will be on sale as the airlines and travel companies desperately try to build up their business again or the the bargain basement prices in the retail sector as the High Street chains and department stores desperately try to entice us back through the doors....

To me it smacks of a typical guardian "outrage" piece.   

I have all too often wondered what it would be like to live in the fantasy land that is planet Guardian.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

37 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Quite right. Very sensible advice given how stocks and shares normally work.  

I am very sure there will be lots of people, when the time comes, who will be "disgracefully" and "shamelessly" taking advantage of the low price property market that will be readily available to them or the massively discounted holidays and flights that will be on sale as the airlines and travel companies desperately try to build up their business again or the the bargain basement prices in the retail sector as the High Street chains and department stores desperately try to entice us back through the doors....

To me it smacks of a typical guardian "outrage" piece.   

I have all too often wondered what it would be like to live in the fantasy land that is planet Guardian.  

Regarding stocks & shares. 

Wonder if anyone has actually explained to the Guardian journos, where their pension funds are invested? 

5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Regarding stocks & shares. 

Wonder if anyone has actually explained to the Guardian journos, where their pension funds are invested? 

Socially responsible and ethical pension plans do exist 

Even before coronavirus started - the UK economy grew 0.1 per cent in the three months to February before the coronavirus lockdown hit businesses.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) data showed the increase was entirely down to the services sector.

The tiny rise, which is measured on a three-month rolling basis, was a slight improvement on the three months to January, when there was no growth.

In February GDP contracted 0.1 per cent, a lacklustre start to the year after the optimism that followed Boris Johnson’s resounding victory at the polls in December.

Thee coronavirus outbreak was already beginning to impact certain sectors of the economy at this stage, the ONS data showed. Travel agencies and manufacturers of transport equipment were the earliest firms to suffer.

https://www.cityam.com/uk-economy-grew-just-0-1-per-cent-in-three-months-before-coronavirus-lockdown/

What do you think I come tax will go up to after the virus has done it's worst.

I guess 25%

Business tax also to go up? 

Vat 25%?

Edited by desy

Didnt Boris promise not to raise taxes?

VAT 25%. Penny on income tax, maybe a rise in NI - it will be for the NHS.

But don't tax big corporations. We'll leave those nice big loopholes open.

On 07/04/2020 at 13:23, ECCOnoob said:

probably better than here though it depends which version of it's fantasy you actually end up living in.

There is only one way to overcome this, just print money. After all who is really going to know?