Online Courses

I’m thinking about filling my rather empty diary with something productive. Would like it be ideally something that will result in a recognised qualification - or could be used in the future towards one.

Google produced a few answers but I don’t know who I should be looking at and who I should be avoiding. Any help  appreciated.

Shaw Academy - based in Dublin, I think - used to offer a range of online courses a while ago, and maybe still do.

Everything from music theory to B-S-ology.

Quite a few were free, as long as you could put up with the push to take a (pay) follow-up course towards the end.

MOOC  s?

(helpdesk referred to the PPE ordering system rather than 111 btw).

Edited by fools

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’m thinking about filling my rather empty diary with something productive. Would like it be ideally something that will result in a recognised qualification - or could be used in the future towards one.

Google produced a few answers but I don’t know who I should be looking at and who I should be avoiding. Any help  appreciated.

Have a look at eDX or Coursera...I've done eDX courses in a few work-related things.

Future Learn have a massive choice of subjects on offer - both professional and interest only topics - some leading to qualifications I think and/or counting towards CPD.

1 hour ago, lectrolove said:

Open University are offering a huge range of free short courses.

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/education/free-courses

Great link that thanks.

I also looking for something like this.

Let us know what you find for the links @tinfoilhat

All the subjects are Education and development, but full list here

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue

Future Learn looked a decent option for me but I'm going to look at the open university as well.

16 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Future Learn looked a decent option for me but I'm going to look at the open university as well.

me too, I've been looking through the OU, and picked one already - glad you started this thread :)

Edited by *_ash_*

It has brought to my attention that I'm thicker than a pile of rocks as I don't fully understand half the course learning outcomes!

Still looking for intermediate colouring in at this point (course outcome, keeping inside the lines)

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

It has brought to my attention that I'm thicker than a pile of rocks as I don't fully understand half the course learning outcomes!

Still looking for intermediate colouring in at this point (course outcome, keeping inside the lines)

I think that given that most are 6-20 hour courses, that at the end, you'll know a bit more about if you want to study further.

Also I would copy them and put on CV, and say, I was keeping busy learning whilst out of work due to virus. Shows potential employer that not lazy.

Probably if looking for more advanced courses, the OU option isn't best? I don't know, just guessing, and looking at what I looked through today.

I've bookmarked about 10 that I want to do, all intro ones.