Should Professional Footballers Donate Part Of Their Salaries To Less Fortunate

A similar topic to this was originally raised under the 'Coronavirus' thread last week in response to a number of Premiership clubs applying for Govt help to pay 80% of non-playing staff wages & what players from a number of the top European clubs like Barcelona have done in response to supporting the non-playing staff at their clubs.  For instance, Barcelona players have agreed to a 70% wage cut for the duration. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52092809

Now while I think that no football club, certainly in Premiership or Championship should be seeking Govt help to pay, furloughed physios, admin staff, ground staff, the tea lady, cleaners, etc, while still forking out millions in player wages, the argument seems to have morphed from the clubs having a moral duty to look after ALL their employees to having players somehow being required to take pay cuts to directly fund the NHS for some reason, even though they pay millions to the UK Treasury in income tax, so in this respect I'm with Wayne Rooney on this one. 

What I don't get is that when the Govt offered to pay up to 80% of furloughed workers' wages, it was clearly only meant for SME organisations who have made a profit of no more than £50k?  Therefore I fail to see how football clubs meet this criteria other than they are trying to declare that they don't meet it by declaring an operating loss due to player purchase & players' wages? 

Liverpool FC have decided to do the right thing & look after ALL there staff & pay the wages of their non-playing staff, rather than rely on the UK tax payers but only after much criticism. 

Note at the last count, the owners of Liverpool, Fenway Sports Group were said to be worth $6.6 billion or approximately £5.3 billion Sterling. 

So now it's over to the other millionaires, (yes, the likes of Norwich's Delia Smith, personally worth £30 million, let alone the millions her husband is also worth),  multi-millionaires & billionaires of Bournemouth, Newcastle & Spurs, to fork out for your lower waged staff. 

Edited by Baron99

On 06/04/2020 at 13:42, Chaddamp said:

Labour voter eh?

I don't know, it doesn't say in the article.

So Spurs, whose multi-millionaire Directors, have furloughed their non-playing staff & intend to use the Govt's (tax payers), money to see them through the coming months, yet this morning, I read that the club are interested in buying a Valencia players with a price tag of £70 million. 

Hmmm? 

If they can stump up the money for a player, then should be able to play their non-playing staff. 

Edited by Baron99

On 03/04/2020 at 12:42, Padders said:

Because £100,000 is more than enough to live on, a lavish life style can still be maintained on a wage like that.

Film stars, footballers, company directors, ETC. are earning millions in a week, scandalous.

sorry I mean in a year.

We as engineers can earn more than that because of the hours we work and the nature of the work. To be honest, I think we are under paid. 

However, the footballers should not be expected to donate a penny. You lot are missing the big picture. The general public have allowed them to be paid such huge sums of money. Don't support the sport if there are issues that you don't like, it really is not hard. 

On 02/04/2020 at 18:43, Man in Crete said:

Given the growing criticism well paid footballers are receiving is it not  time this cities "stars" came together "as one" and made some positive financial contributions to societies current problems and in particular those affected in Sheffield> Reality is that folk have long memories here and the continued silence might not be forgotten. Of course there are other folk outside of football with more than a "bob" to spare ,some no doubt on here,but let's stick to football . What do you think

I agree with you this is a football forum only, stick to the game only

Listening to the radio yesterday, it was stated that amongst that large, London based, international accountancy & law firms, many of who have furloughed their junior & lower paid staff, those further up the hierarchy are still receiving their generous bonuses. 

Nobody hounding the well paid lawyers & accountants for extra cash or saying they should pay more that they are legally entitled too? 

I understand that we are talking silly money regarding footballers wages, especially in the Premiership but why single out footballers, who will already be paying a fortune in tax to the Exchequer, who should allocate the tax accordingly.  Furthermore, I've not seen the badgering of other, well paid sports stars from other sporting areas such as first class cricketers & what about the wealthy horse racing body? 

Edited by Baron99

I think pro footballers do give a fair amount to charity and have to prepare for the time when a long or short professional career comes to an end.

People vote with their cash so if you don't like what they earn then stop your football channel subscription.

Sport in general is community financed but the need has changed and so should the work direction until a normal situation has been reached.