Should Professional Footballers Donate Part Of Their Salaries To Less Fortunate

Given the growing criticism well paid footballers are receiving is it not  time this cities "stars" came together "as one" and made some positive financial contributions to societies current problems and in particular those affected in Sheffield> Reality is that folk have long memories here and the continued silence might not be forgotten. Of course there are other folk outside of football with more than a "bob" to spare ,some no doubt on here,but let's stick to football . What do you think

Edited by nikki-red

I dont intend to get into a debate on the ethics  of a professional footballer making a  donation to our present  situation . One thing for sure  is at this present time  our frontline  nursing staff and everyone involved in  getting the  Coronavirus  under control  are worth a lot more than  someone kicking a bag of wind around a football field. Ask anyone involved in the game and i am sure they will agree.    I rest my case. 

6 hours ago, Man in Crete said:

Given the growing criticism well paid footballers are receiving is it not  time this cities "stars" came together "as one" and made some positive financial contributions to societies current problems and in particular those affected in Sheffield> Reality is that folk have long memories here and the continued silence might not be forgotten. Of course there are other folk outside of football with more than a "bob" to spare ,some no doubt on here,but let's stick to football . What do you think

SWFC have been down the back of thier sofa and pledged £20,000 

https://swfccp.co.uk/covid-19-appeal/#more

My issue would be if ordinary folk are loosing wages while the players are still earning their full wage. Chansiri is making up the 20 percent the non playing staff are loosing which is good of him but at spurs the non playing staff have been put on the government scheme but not sure if they are making up the difference while the playing staff are still on full wages.

It needs to be fair and of course it's not just footballers that can do their bit that earn silly amounts

For a "kick off" Gary Linaker could donate his BBC salary,then his BT salary and then his Walkers crisps money then …….perhaps some of his personal wealth.

46 minutes ago, Chaddamp said:

For a "kick off" Gary Linaker could donate his BBC salary,then his BT salary and then his Walkers crisps money then …….perhaps some of his personal wealth.

Gary Lineker has already donated £140,000 to British Red Cross as part of this. 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/gary-lineker-donate-couple-months-21801787

" Premier League footballers should "take a pay cut and play their part" during the coronavirus pandemic, says health secretary Matt Hancock.

There are many people in this country receiving large wages at what level of salary should  people "take a pay cut and play their part"?

Nobody should receive more than £100,000 IMO.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Nobody should receive more than £100,000 IMO.

why?

Although I would agree in principle that footballers should take a pay cut there is a problem with their contracts. So far as I know, having heard about this on the radio this morning, if they accept less than what their contract says, it alters their status as employees with their club in a way that harms them to a degree much greater than just the pay cut would hurt them.

Edited by woolyhead

2 hours ago, DaMan said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/gary-lineker-donate-couple-months-21801787

The tight Ba----d, probably thinks he'll get a Knighthood

2 hours ago, barry-333 said:

NO  

WHY ?

2 hours ago, DaMan said:

I don't read from such low level journalism