Sign in to follow this  

Crook Hall Receiving Home.

I was doing  some research and found in the Sheffield Indexers a grave for someone who could be my relative and it said: Died at Crook Hall Receiving Home; Buried on August 28, 1928 in General ground;

I have done a search but can't find any information on Crook Hall. has anyone heard of it and what type of place/institute it was and where it was. I have searched using Crookes as well but nothing came up.

Childrens homes in Sheffield

In 1930 the Receiving Home was on Herries Road (then Smilter Lane).

Previously care was divided between two poor law unions

There were two "homes" on Lydgate Lane opposite the Grindstone-street address "Crookes"  at the junction with "Crookes Road" and "Hallam Gate Road" The buildings are now offices.

There is a Crook Hall in Durham

Edited by Annie Bynnol

I have been to the Durham one - pretty sure it won't have been this one as it's an old manor house and not ever a type of 'workhouse 'or childrens home.

Could it have been the Crookhill Hall Receiving Home? At some point in the 1920s (I think) Crookhill Hall near Malty or Conisborough was bought by the council, they called it Crookhill Hall Receiving Home but it seems to have been used as a sanatorium for treating TB.

5 hours ago, apearson said:

Could it have been the Crookhill Hall Receiving Home? At some point in the 1920s (I think) Crookhill Hall near Malty or Conisborough was bought by the council, they called it Crookhill Hall Receiving Home but it seems to have been used as a sanatorium for treating TB.

I just looked again on Indexers and copied this from the record.  Parent or Next of Kin if Available: Remarks: Officiating Minister, W S Fletcher: Removed from Maltby Parish. Thanks for the help I will do some research on it, he did die in 1928 so that ties in with what you said.

On 01/04/2020 at 23:33, Annie Bynnol said:

Childrens homes in Sheffield

In 1930 the Receiving Home was on Herries Road (then Smilter Lane).

Previously care was divided between two poor law unions

There were two "homes" on Lydgate Lane opposite the Grindstone-street address "Crookes"  at the junction with "Crookes Road" and "Hallam Gate Road" The buildings are now offices.

There is a Crook Hall in Durham

I looked at the links you posted Annie, thank you  they were very informative, I think it is more likely that it was the place apearson said as he was 38 years old when he died and brought to Sheffield for burial at Burngreave.