Shirecliffe Recycling Centre dont allow people carriers

1 minute ago, dan2802 said:

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Is it OK to take an old mattress to the tip ?

Not while this lock down is on, you'll have to keep hold of it.

3 hours ago, Jomie said:

Yes, it is entirely true in our borough. I suggest that if anyone has any queries about this they should contact their own environmental health department.  The OP should not have to use the dumpit site, particularly as she is disabled. 

You should also know that not every disabled person who produces clinical waste has district nursing involvement.

Shirecliffe is part of Sheffield is it not? 

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/bins-recycling-services/hazardous-clinical-waste-disposal

What I posted is LITERALLY what it says on the council website. To save yourself a click, read it verbatim below:

We can provide help for households producing clinical waste due to a medical condition. 

If your household is producing clinical waste, such as hygiene waste and sanitary protection like nappies and incontinence pads, you can put this waste inside your black bin. The contents of your black bin will be taken to our energy recovery facility and burnt to produce heat and power.

If you find that your black bin is not big enough, ask your district nurse to contact us. We can either provide you with a larger black bin or provide you with a weekly clinical waste collection service.

If your household producing infectious waste such human tissue, soiled surgical dressings, blood/blood soiled dressings, this waste should not be placed inside your black bin. Please ask your district nurse to contact us and we will provide you with a weekly clinical waste collection service.

How the clinical waste collection service works

If you are provided with a weekly clinical waste collection service, we will be provide you with a supply of clinical waste sacks, together with information about how to use the service.

Once filled, you should tie your sacks, and place them out for collection outside your front door, or at the agreed location, by 7am on your collection day.

1 hour ago, Ruddy76 said:

Not while this lock down is on, you'll have to keep hold of it.

Yeah, I appreciate its not exactly essential. I just know there a bugger to get rid of.

1 hour ago, dan2802 said:

Yeah, I appreciate its not exactly essential. I just know there a bugger to get rid of.

Do what everyone else does, wait for a skip to appear in the neighborhood and dump it in there in the middle of the night. 😆

I usually try and fold an old mattress and tie it up with wire or gaffer tape. Get your mate or wife to sit on it when you’ve folded it while you tie it or tape it up. Then you can lift it around easier and it fits in an average hatchback. If it’s living outside for a while cover it with plastic sheeting or binbags.

Edited by Bilge

On 13/04/2020 at 17:07, trainwalker said:

The ruling on people carriers does seem a little harsh especially if you only had 4 bags. Sheffield are rather keen on the size of vehicles that they permit to their recycling centres. Other than that they are quite relaxed. Kirklees Council in West Yorkshire have a system where you have to register your vehicle and be granted a permit. No permit means you can’t recycle.

It is unfortunate that no one can apply brain to the issue one might have thought that common sense would mean that someone disabled with a carer would be granted exemption if they were simply getting rid of normal household waste instead of blindly applying a rule that size is the only criteria.

Mind you this is the same council who only allow nearby residents to enter the site by foot and force cars to stop start in queues for half an hour plus adding to pollution or in my case to drive significantly further for an alternative center ( i assume this is still the case as not visited this center for years)

On 13/04/2020 at 20:47, Ruddy76 said:

Do what everyone else does, wait for a skip to appear in the neighborhood and dump it in there in the middle of the night. 😆

Ive had that happen to my skips too many times. Not gonna do it !!!

7 hours ago, Bilge said:

I usually try and fold an old mattress and tie it up with wire or gaffer tape. Get your mate or wife to sit on it when you’ve folded it while you tie it or tape it up. Then you can lift it around easier and it fits in an average hatchback. If it’s living outside for a while cover it with plastic sheeting or binbags.

Its stuck in the garage. Thats why I want rid.

Appreciate its hardly worth an unessential journey so it can wait.