Shirecliffe Recycling Centre dont allow people carriers

Just to let you all know that people carriers are not allowed on site.

On my only trip out for the week I decided to take 4 bin bags to the tip as I was passing, but because I drive a bigger car ( I have to so that I can get my wheelchair in ) I was turned away. 

Before I went out this morning I made sure to look at the website to make sure it was open and noticed nothing at all regarding these rule changes. 

I wasn't on my own I also had my Carer with me. 

I feel I’ve been discriminated against because I’m disabled and have to drive a bigger car. 

Edited by jon&emma

What exact car was it?

Not had problems with a vw sharan before.

Is this a new rule? Were you unable to go under the barrier?

It’s a new rule because of the covid epidemic. 

I drive a vw transporter.

The thing that got me the car behind was a taxi (Hackney cab) packed full and he was allowed through. I only had 4 bin bags !! 

Is the transporter a 9 seater (before any modification), like a ford transit sized mini bus?

Could you have got under the height bar?

I often have to go to the tip to dispose of my medical waste and always have to pip my horn because it’s too big to go under the barrier.

Yes the transporter is/was a minibus but now It’s modified with a winch and a ramp, so the back row of seats have been removed. 

As soon as I pulled up to the gates two men (recycling centre workers) approached and one of them told me about the new ruling.  

I did notice on longly Avenue west just up the road from the tip several piles of rubbish probably dumped by people driving people carriers.

Edited by jon&emma

Pity you couldn't get under the barrier like we can.

I'd ring veolia & check tomorrow.

I phoned them earlier and they said yes it’s a new ruling until further notice 

any reason offered?

Any people carrier no matter if it can fit under the barrier have been stopped from entering the site.

No reason given what so ever so I’ve emailed a complaint.

The lady on the phone  just kept repeating no people carriers allowed on site, so I’m guessing she’s not been told the reason’s why. 

Edited by jon&emma

THat's disgraceful. It is not used for commerce, it is by definition for carrying people, just like a car. And I wonder what has Corona got to do with anything?

veolia tip rules, to the best of my knowledge this has always been the case

C&P

If you are a resident of Sheffield and you want to visit a site with a van or a trailer, you will need either a permit or approval for a one-off visit. Luton box vans, pick ups (excluding 4x4s), long wheel based transit vans and twin axled vehicles are not allowed access to any of our sites.6 days ago

Edited by kidley

Yes Im fully aware of this but I visit weekly and I’ve never had an issue but today the rules have changed because of the virus..

Apparently now added to that rule,NO PEOPLE CARRIERS allowed on site until further notice.

Edited by jon&emma