Joe Ashton - Rip

Just heard a report that former MP & SWFC Director, Joe Ashton has passed away.  The cause of death is said to be dementia. 

Another of the old guard of politics has who had worked their way up from their working class roots, gone. 

Didn't always agree with some of his politics, (or his choice of football club) but admired his no nonsense way of speaking & attitude, sadly lacking in many of today's media savvy politicians. 

What you saw, was what you got.  A quality much to be admired. 

Edited by Baron99

he will be sadly missed,his intentions in my mind was always good for swfc,another top person lost this year,he will be missed by many.

RIP, Joe.

I used to enjoy his column in the Star back in the day with his tales of the old Attercliffe.

Something to while away the long lockdown hours.

https://sounds.bl.uk/Oral-history/The-History-of-Parliament-Oral-History-Project/021M-C1503X0024XX-0001V0

Edited by Jim Hardie
Link added.

So sad to hear of Mr Ashtons passing. Used to meet him on matchdays at Hillsborough working on the front door at Parkside Rd.

He always had his table in Dooleys bar and restaurant under the TV.

Didnt pull no punches when talking about some of the performances on the pitch.

God bless

My dad worked for him for a while, some years ago. Said he was a nice bloke. Joe turned up at my dads funeral which was unexpected, but very nice. I always promised that if ever the time came I would return the favour, but I can't now due to restricted numbers at funerals.

my condolence to a great fellow RIP Joe