Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Covid 19 Bus Service Timetables

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The stop indicators have been down for weeks, when I've passed stops while out walking? Just the same message flashing across about coronavirus.

 

Also noticed in the last few days that the paper timetables have been removed from stops & replaced with posters referring to 2m social distancing. 

 

My wife complained to First about ther service last year, so they have her email address & she received an email update from First last week telling her all about the new rules & regulations that will becoming into force in the next week or so & how the buses are going to be disrupted, with long delays expected, now there's reduced capacity & people are starting to look at going back to work.  Avoid all but essential journeys, as First put it & expect to see buses displaying "Bus Full" signs & bypassing stops. 

 

Guess it's the same info as what is currently on their website & it'll similarly apply to the other bus companies around S. Yorks? 

Stagecoach had to put a bus full sign on a bus I had to go on a couple of days ago. (Food Shopping). We left people at bus stops. Only 7 were allowed on the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bus capacity is very much reduced with the social distancing measures in operation and the bus full sign is being put up once the limited capacity is reached. This is why the government is encouraging those with shorter journeys to consider cycling/walking and for shopping trips to be kept local, leaving the limited capacity on the buses for commuters making longer journeys who have no choice.

 

The limited capacity now varies between different models of bus (it will also make a difference if couples/families travel that can sit together) but roughly speaking the limit is 20 on double deckers, 12 on full size single deckers, 10 on mid size single deckers and 7 on minibuses with limited seating in use and standing not permitted.

 

The existing level of bus and tram service has government funding to operate until early June, yesterday the government announced new funding to keep buses and trams operating beyond then at a nearer than normal frequency.

 

The one stop shop for current temporary timetables is here: https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/

 

Forthcoming changes are announced on individual operators websites:

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/regional-service-updates/yorkshire/sheffield

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/supertram

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire/news-and-service-updates/coronavirus-covid19-service-information

http://www.tmtravel.co.uk/

https://www.powellsbus.co.uk/

http://www.hulleys-of-baslow.co.uk/

 

Edited by Andy C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something to note that might affect certain passengers? 

 

I was chatting to someone earlier who have been catching buses over the past few weeks.  They've noted that the sections of the buses where the seats flip up & are usually the spaces occupied by wheelchair users or those with prams, have had stickers put over chairs or have been cordoned off altogether for social distancing purposes. 

 

Wonder how that's going to work out now that more people might be intending to try & use public transport? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Something to note that might affect certain passengers? 

 

I was chatting to someone earlier who have been catching buses over the past few weeks.  They've noted that the sections of the buses where the seats flip up & are usually the spaces occupied by wheelchair users or those with prams, have had stickers put over chairs or have been cordoned off altogether for social distancing purposes. 

 

Wonder how that's going to work out now that more people might be intending to try & use public transport? 

I would imagine the issue there is if a wheelchair user needs the space then the nearest seats occupied by passengers must be at least 2 metres  away, hence those seats are out of use.

 

It is a well publicised issue - with social distancing capacity is significantly reduced, hence government encouraging those that can walk or cycle to do so and leave public transport for those that have no alternative for essential journeys. The government announced new funding for bus and tram which should see the temporary timetables increased in the first couple of weeks in June, although not back to normal.

 

Message is basically buses, trams and trains are there for those who need it for essential journeys and is operating in as safe way as possible with the cooperation of passengers, but you should consider if you really need to use it first due to the low capacity, especially on the busier parts of the network (generally closer to town).  

 

Personally I've only used any kind of transport once in the last month, a local bus ride to the chemist, only made by bus because it was raining at the time (and I was the only person on the bus)! Otherwise I'm working from home and all my shopping is either a walk up to the local shops or ordered online and delivered.

Edited by Andy C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andy C said:

I would imagine the issue there is if a wheelchair needs to use the space then the nearest seats occupied by passengers must be at least 2 metres  away.

 

It is a well publicised issue - with social distancing capacity is significantly reduced, hence government encouraging those that can walk or cycle to do so and leave public transport for those that have no alternative for essential journeys. The government announced new funding for bus and tram which should see the temporary timetables increased in the first couple of weeks in June, although not back to normal.

 

Message is basically buses, trams and trains are there for those who need it for essential journeys and is operating in as safe way as possible with the cooperation of passengers, but you should consider if you really need to use it first due to the low capacity, especially on the busier parts of the network (generally closer to town).  

Sadly that message has been the same from the get-go yet from people I know who work in the sector it's not getting through to some. 

One driver has told me that they see the same faces every day of the week and they aren't those that are essential workers. It's concession pass holders making unnecessary journeys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My employer's currently making noises about staff returning to work at the start of July.  I live at Gleadless Townend & work in the city centre; in normal times I've always travelled via Supertram.

 

As there will be no tram service at all between Sheffield Station & Herdings Park / Halfway between 25th July & 1st September, due to rail replacement work - with no tram replacement buses provided either - I'm very concerned about how I'll be able to get to & from work.  I'd imagine that the First 51, T&M 252 & the 120 bus service (which would normally be a possibility for me to at least travel between Manor Top & town) won't be options due to reduced capacity as a result of social distancing.

 

Due to a medical condition, I can't drive at the moment.

 

Walking or cycling to & from town, 5 days per week, 3.5 miles each way - including the climb from town to Manor Top's 600ft elevation - aren't options either not least because I'm in my late 50s & would find that physically very difficult, every day, especially if the weather was hot.

 

Any advice with regard to how I might be able to get between home & work - particularly from the 25th July when the tram service at this end of the city will be withdrawn altogether for more than 5 weeks with no alternative bus service provided - would therefore be appreciated.

 

 

 

 

Edited by GleadlessLad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, GleadlessLad said:

My employer's currently making noises about staff returning to work at the start of July.  I live at Gleadless Townend & work in the city centre; in normal times I've always travelled via Supertram.

 

As there will be no tram service at all between Sheffield Station & Herdings Park / Halfway between 25th July & 1st September, due to rail replacement work - with no tram replacement buses provided either - I'm very concerned about how I'll be able to get to & from work.  I'd imagine that the First 51, T&M 252 & the 120 bus service (which would normally be a possibility for me to at least travel between Manor Top & town) won't be options due to reduced capacity as a result of social distancing.

 

Due to a medical condition, I can't drive at the moment.

 

Walking or cycling to & from town, 5 days per week, 3.5 miles each way - including the climb from town to Manor Top's 600ft elevation - aren't options either not least because I'm in my late 50s & would find that physically very difficult, every day, especially if the weather was hot.

 

Any advice with regard to how I might be able to get between home & work - particularly from the 25th July when the tram service at this end of the city will be withdrawn altogether for more than 5 weeks with no alternative bus service provided - would therefore be appreciated.

 

 

 

 

Given at Gleadless you are pretty much at the start of the 51 bus route and the government are funding an increase in service between now and then you shouldn't have too much problem. The point is people that live closer to town who could walk or cycle do so in order to leave seats for people like you.

 

The government are not funding tram replacement buses as they are already funding other buses that people can use (such as the 8, 80a, 120, 252 etc).

 

Note no announcement has yet been made on what future services will look like.

Edited by Andy C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andy C said:

Given at Gleadless you are pretty much at the start of the 51 bus route and the government are funding an increase in service between now and then you shouldn't have too much problem. The point is people that live closer to town who could walk or cycle do so in order to leave seats for people like you.

 

The government are not funding tram replacement buses as they are already funding other buses that people can use (such as the 8, 80a, 120, 252 etc).

 

Note no announcement has yet been made on what future services will look like.

Thanks Andy.

 

The 51 comes quite a way through the Charnock estate before it gets to Townend, so I'm still concerned that the buses may already have reached their revised passenger limits by the time that they arrive at Townend at the time of day at which I have to travel to work - not least due to the additional passenger loadings anticipated as a result of the forthcoming suspension of all tram services at this end of the city for 5 weeks.

 

Similarly I'm concerned that, when travelling home from town after work, I may be left stranded in the city centre due to the number of people trying to use the bus service (including folk such as myself who would normally use the tram) v the reduced bus capacities?  In that direction I can see that folk travelling just a relatively few stops will try to board along with the other folk who have a fair distance to travel - unlike the situation running into the city where the plan seems to be that the bus will reach capacity at the point at which anybody trying to board should be able to walk.

 

I can sort of understand the government's decision to not fund any tram replacement buses on the basis that existing bus services run through the area served by the tram, however for them to apply that policy at a time when the capacity of the existing buses (for me the 51 & 252 or, with a 1 mile walk to / from Manor Top, the 120) is very significantly reduced appears to make no sense to those of us who have to rely on the service & seems akin to trying to get a quart into a pint pot.

 

I do agree though with the idea that people who are using the buses to travel only a short distance should perhaps consider walking instead - as long as they're able to do so of course.

 

Thanks anyway Andy - however I'm becoming increasingly concerned about my ability to travel to & from my place of work when required to do so by my employer.

Edited by GleadlessLad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GleadlessLad said:

Thanks Andy.

 

The 51 comes quite a way through the Charnock estate before it gets to Townend, so I'm still concerned that the buses may already have reached their revised passenger limits by the time that they arrive at Townend at the time of day at which I have to travel to work - not least due to the additional passenger loadings anticipated as a result of the forthcoming suspension of all tram services at this end of the city for 5 weeks.

 

Similarly I'm concerned that, when travelling home from town after work, I may be left stranded in the city centre due to the number of people trying to use the bus service (including folk such as myself who would normally use the tram) v the reduced bus capacities?  In that direction I can see that folk travelling just a relatively few stops will try to board along with the other folk who have a fair distance to travel - unlike the situation running into the city where the plan seems to be that the bus will reach capacity at the point at which anybody trying to board should be able to walk.

 

I can sort of understand the government's decision to not fund any tram replacement buses on the basis that existing bus services run through the area served by the tram, however for them to apply that policy at a time when the capacity of the existing buses (for me the 51 & 252 or, with a 1 mile walk to / from Manor Top, the 120) is very significantly reduced appears to make no sense to those of us who have to rely on the service & seems akin to trying to get a quart into a pint pot.

 

I do agree though with the idea that people who are using the buses to travel only a short distance should perhaps consider walking instead - as long as they're able to do so of course.

 

Thanks anyway Andy - however I'm becoming increasingly concerned about my ability to travel to & from my place of work when required to do so by my employer.

between now and July bus services will be increased as people start to travel again - the government has already announced funding for this and operators and local authorities are in the planning process. The government are also funding subsidies for cycling and for councils to adapt part of the city to temporarily increase pavements and cycle lanes. The current skeleton service reflecting extreme low numbers travelling won't be the same in July  - although social distancing is still likely to be in place which dramatically reduces capacity, unless perhaps there is a change in thinking (face coverings becoming  viewed as an adequate alternative for example).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andy C said:

between now and July bus services will be increased as people start to travel again - the government has already announced funding for this and operators and local authorities are in the planning process. The government are also funding subsidies for cycling and for councils to adapt part of the city to temporarily increase pavements and cycle lanes. The current skeleton service reflecting extreme low numbers travelling won't be the same in July  - although social distancing is still likely to be in place which dramatically reduces capacity, unless perhaps there is a change in thinking (face coverings becoming  viewed as an adequate alternative for example).

Thanks Andy, this gives me a bit of reassurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Andy C said:

between now and July bus services will be increased as people start to travel again - the government has already announced funding for this and operators and local authorities are in the planning process. The government are also funding subsidies for cycling and for councils to adapt part of the city to temporarily increase pavements and cycle lanes. The current skeleton service reflecting extreme low numbers travelling won't be the same in July  - although social distancing is still likely to be in place which dramatically reduces capacity, unless perhaps there is a change in thinking (face coverings becoming  viewed as an adequate alternative for example).

Given the number of complaints I've read over the years about late buses, people being late for work & overcrowded buses in general, think you will be looking at mandatory face coverings eventually.

 

I can see those who need the buses to get to & from work complaining about not being able to get on a bus, massive queues at bus stops, (maybe that's why a number of South bound buses are being re-routes due to the closure of Pinstone St?  No room on the High St to social distance with all the buses there but then there doesn't appear to be a great deal of space on Arundel Gate either - see the other thread?  Imagine the queue for the 52?  2m apart?  The queue will be right up Fargate), & who really wants to walk home after a day at work? 

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GleadlessLad said:

Thanks Andy.

 

The 51 comes quite a way through the Charnock estate before it gets to Townend, so I'm still concerned that the buses may already have reached their revised passenger limits by the time that they arrive at Townend at the time of day at which I have to travel to work - not least due to the additional passenger loadings anticipated as a result of the forthcoming suspension of all tram services at this end of the city for 5 weeks.

 

Similarly I'm concerned that, when travelling home from town after work, I may be left stranded in the city centre due to the number of people trying to use the bus service (including folk such as myself who would normally use the tram) v the reduced bus capacities?  In that direction I can see that folk travelling just a relatively few stops will try to board along with the other folk who have a fair distance to travel - unlike the situation running into the city where the plan seems to be that the bus will reach capacity at the point at which anybody trying to board should be able to walk.

 

I can sort of understand the government's decision to not fund any tram replacement buses on the basis that existing bus services run through the area served by the tram, however for them to apply that policy at a time when the capacity of the existing buses (for me the 51 & 252 or, with a 1 mile walk to / from Manor Top, the 120) is very significantly reduced appears to make no sense to those of us who have to rely on the service & seems akin to trying to get a quart into a pint pot.

 

I do agree though with the idea that people who are using the buses to travel only a short distance should perhaps consider walking instead - as long as they're able to do so of course.

 

Thanks anyway Andy - however I'm becoming increasingly concerned about my ability to travel to & from my place of work when required to do so by my employer.

51s don't usually start picking up until Gleadless Common / Arbourthorne so you should be fine. However, there will be a 'near normal' service announced shortly. All bus operators who are currently eligible for BSOG payments will be ramping services up to around 70% pre Covid-19 levels from 1 June 2020, following government funding. This is a stipulation on the funding so many operators are currently working on these plans now. Services can currently be registered with just 24hrs notice - so keep an eye out on bus operators websites.

 

You can see more info on this funding package here: https://www.route-one.net/news/early-details-of-254m-package-for-buses-in-england-revealed/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.