Covid 19 Bus Service Timetables

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Dont tell me youre the first person who hasnt heard they are considering an early re-tender as Stagecoach are getting cold feet.

Stagecoach currently have the concession as a commercial operation until 2024.

Going forward it is unlikely to be the same arrangements, probably more like Manchester where it is simply a contract to operate the service on behalf of the PTE, the reason being there are many more years of disruption ahead from engineering work to renew the tracks and power supply of a system that by then will be around 30 years old.

1 hour ago, Michael_N said:

They want out as quickly as possible, especially when they are the only tram operation to take all financial risk (that's why they're still running hourly services, as opposed to Manchester 12 mins, or Nottingham 10 mins etc.) and were already losing over £2million per year, pre Covid-19. Doesn't help matters when they have more managers than trams...

With stagecoach pulling the SL services it basically ends all ties between the bus and trams operated by stagecoach which I would think that stagecoach are ready to give the trams back to SYPT. They maybe was hoping that tram train would be a success but its kind of failed and they are due to pay for everything on tram train side from October as it was only a 2 year trial from the government in which they paid for everything so they may try and end contract early as that will be more costs on top of what you say there already 2 million per year losses. Rumour has it that redundancy’s has already started in the company with managers on the list. 

14 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

Come off it, can't pull wool over my eyes. The evidence is all there in black and white, along with the state of finances for all to see. Just go onto Companies House and have a look yourself.

Without government support, ALL public transport in Britain would be bankrupt and have ceased to operate through the Covid-19 lockdown, the amount of funding provided is for a specific level of service. FACT.

Sheffield is simply not the same kind of city economically as the likes of Manchester.  Before lockdown you just have to stand in the City Centre, Manchester is big and busy, Sheffield is like a big village in comparison. People love Sheffield for that, makes it a nicer place to live in some respects, but it doesn't generate as much demand for travel as a result!

How the various bus and tram businesses were doing before in Sheffield (badly, and I imagine with Supertram especially so having the additional hit of rail replacement) is unrelated.

2 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

The only way I can see the sl returning is if the trams paid for the service as I believe it was when it was first introduced. I heard they were struggling to make it pay as it currently ran. 

I've not heard anything about them bringing them back after services go back to normal but if it is then it probably won't be a 10 minute service

Lets get a sense of perspective... It is still a government funded reduced Covid-19 lockdown temporary service, in reality the change is simply SL1/SL1a has become 57/57a running to Hillsborough instead of Middlewood, slightly more frequently and with some route changes to cater for more places.

In other news from that area, the 58 is still running, the First 57 (early morning and evenings) is being reintroduced and the 23/23a in Stocksbridge is being reintroduced whilst the 201 never stopped running.

As for what happens post Covid, I suspect a Sheffield Bus Partnership network review will happen, that is pure speculation on my part though.

Edited by Andy C

Guest busdriver1
58 minutes ago, Andy C said:

As for what happens post Covid, I suspect a Sheffield Bus Partnership network review will happen, that is pure speculation on my part though.

I will make a prediction here and now. There will at best be 75% of the previous service provision with the tram system being thrown back to SYPTE to run.

The PTE on top of that will have even less money to support socially desirable services and support the tram system. 

Fares will rise and patronage will fall and the circle will continue. . . . . 

9 hours ago, Andy C said:

Without government support, ALL public transport in Britain would be bankrupt and have ceased to operate through the Covid-19 lockdown, the amount of funding provided is for a specific level of service. FACT.

Sheffield is simply not the same kind of city economically as the likes of Manchester.  Before lockdown you just have to stand in the City Centre, Manchester is big and busy, Sheffield is like a big village in comparison. People love Sheffield for that, makes it a nicer place to live in some respects, but it doesn't generate as much demand for travel as a result!

How the various bus and tram businesses were doing before in Sheffield (badly, and I imagine with Supertram especially so having the additional hit of rail replacement) is unrelated.

Lets get a sense of perspective... It is still a government funded reduced Covid-19 lockdown temporary service, in reality the change is simply SL1/SL1a has become 57/57a running to Hillsborough instead of Middlewood, slightly more frequently and with some route changes to cater for more places.

In other news from that area, the 58 is still running, the First 57 (early morning and evenings) is being reintroduced and the 23/23a in Stocksbridge is being reintroduced whilst the 201 never stopped running.

I agree it's a covid timetable but I get the sense the sl have been struggling for a while. Maybe they will be back once the services are back to normal but I wouldn't put money on it happening, we'll see soon enough.

Personally I'd just put it back to running one way and reduce it to a 20 minute service and see how that goes once it's all over but I don't have the figures to know how well or bad it's been doing in the last few months before all this.

10 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I agree it's a covid timetable but I get the sense the sl have been struggling for a while. Maybe they will be back once the services are back to normal but I wouldn't put money on it happening, we'll see soon enough.

Personally I'd just put it back to running one way and reduce it to a 20 minute service and see how that goes once it's all over but I don't have the figures to know how well or bad it's been doing in the last few months before all this.

The 57a does only run one way around the loop and there is much local protest..

The new set up is an improvement for those going to Hillsborough and town but not so good for local travel to the shops in Stocksbridge! (Ie you can get there but not back!)

I wonder if a tweak may get made again to reflect this, the local MP got involved last time.

I've read elsewhere that the boss of first in Sheffield has gone and that First Midland are now runing First buses in Sheffield. Does busdriver1 know anymore ?

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Zarniwoop said:

I've read elsewhere that the boss of first in Sheffield has gone and that First Midland are now runing First buses in Sheffield. Does busdriver1 know anymore ?

That is correct, and believe me its good news. This is the light at the end of the tunnel

So what happens to those who live in the Oughtibridge/ Middlewood corridor? Once again we won't have a bus. Just a repeat of when the land slipped and the 57 was rerouted. Disgraceful really. Not everyone can walk the distance. 😐

5 minutes ago, julado said:

So what happens to those who live in the Oughtibridge/ Middlewood corridor? Once again we won't have a bus. Just a repeat of when the land slipped and the 57 was rerouted. Disgraceful really. Not everyone can walk the distance. 😐

The 58 is back on it's old route. That is running along there as normal once again (every 2hrs and 10 mins though....) and only 7 people can be on it.

Edited by Groose

Remember the current operation is still a reduced Covid-19 emergency timetable and the service provided is reliant on government support funding to provide a basic service for key workers. The expected significant increase in demand will be the 15th June when all shops can open, schools go back in a limited fashion and other such easing of lockdown. Will be interested to see if there are any further changes to bus timetables then (many main city routes have already had a significant ramp up of service from the 1st June ready, but not all).

Currently the Stocksbridge/Deepcar/Oughtibridge area has the 23/23a, 57/57a/58 and 201 but is does look like as many bases are trying to be covered with little resource. As i've said before, suspect a big network review will be in the offing for post covid to find a viable and efficient  way of serving the area reflecting any changes in demand in the new normal (perhaps more people working from home and having shopping delivered after getting used to it during lockdown?!)

Anyway, a reminder that all the current timetables for all operators can be found at https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/ServiceChanges/

Edited by Andy C