Frank White RIP

What a shock! Just found this thread with the news; can't believe it hasn't been on TV local news.  Frank White certainly was a local legend.  I first saw him at the Pheasant in the 80s when a mate of mine suggested we went to see him saying he was as good as Clapton.  Nay, said I, don't be daft!  Anyway we went and I was blown out.  My comment was 'he's better than Clapton!'  I saw him play a couple of times and I remember bumping into him in the New Barrack Tavern one Friday night - he wasn't playing, just came in to see the band that was on - and I had a chat with him at the bar; lovely man!  I was told he wasn't interested in fame and fortune, just loved the music.  There are many celebrity pop stars today who aren't a patch on Frank White.  For me he was one of Sheffield's finest musicians.  Sad day!

13 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

What a shock! Just found this thread with the news; can't believe it hasn't been on TV local news.  Frank White certainly was a local legend.  I first saw him at the Pheasant in the 80s when a mate of mine suggested we went to see him saying he was as good as Clapton.  Nay, said I, don't be daft!  Anyway we went and I was blown out.  My comment was 'he's better than Clapton!'  I saw him play a couple of times and I remember bumping into him in the New Barrack Tavern one Friday night - he wasn't playing, just came in to see the band that was on - and I had a chat with him at the bar; lovely man!  I was told he wasn't interested in fame and fortune, just loved the music.  There are many celebrity pop stars today who aren't a patch on Frank White.  For me he was one of Sheffield's finest musicians.  Sad day!

Good post AKAMD,  very true.. nice tribute.

48 minutes ago, rainbow2411 said:

I hope you don’t mind but I have copied the school photograph and sent it to Jody, Frank’s daughter and she is thrilled she hadn’t seen it before, so thank you for posting.

Not at all. It's on a City Grammar website which is public. I'm glad she has seen it.

Went regularly to the Pheasant to see him play, Blueberry Hill, Louisiana 1927, and Driftaway were my obsession...absolutely loved to hear them . also saw Joel play recently and wished I had a inch of his talent.

Edited by JJJones

Very shocked and saddened to read this here.  I had a few lessons with Frank at Langdon Street.  He was a genuinely lovely, talented, humble person, with a wonderful, knowing, smile.  He always made time for others and gave beginners, like me, lots of encouragement.

I saw him at the Pheasant and the Upperthorpe, years later, and he was still excellent, and had a nice voice too.  Sheffield has lost a legend and I feel very honoured to have known him.  

"Thanks for the joy that you've given me,

I want you to know, that I believe in your song.

Rhythm and rhyme, and harmony,

You helped me along, keeping me strong."

Thank you, Frank.  There's sure "gonna be some sweet sounds coming down, on the night shift".

My condolences to Frank's family.  

So sorry to hear this sad news, as I too had the pleasure of seeing Frank perform at the Pheasant a few times when I first moved to Sheffield.

RIP Frank and thanks for the music. 

Edited by janie48

Just like to say a few words about the late great Frank White. I had the great pleasure of knowing Frank for 35 years and always found him to be a kind humble and loyal friend who always had time for me and other people. He lived for his family and loved music and his religion. May Jehovah God and our Lord Jesus Christ remember you in the resurrection and until then rest in peace my dear friend. Elvis 

Edited by Mick Cooper

Frank told me that he was born in 1942 so that would make him round 78.Miss the guy already. A great person and a brilliant musician. RIP Frank. Elvis 

well said elvis a few months ago my nephew your garden friend was going to get me my frank white record,not fade away signed and of course time goes by and it wasn't to be .

Smashing fella was Frank and a superb all round artist, gonna miss him playing the local spots...Him and Dave Hawley were best Sheffield ever had

Tanz

On 30/03/2020 at 10:01, RiffRaff said:

Surprised there was no mention of his passing on the local TV news.

As regards being the most talented? He was certainly "up there", but there are many, many others who could join the list...

Tommy Eyre, on keyboards, springs to mind.

Hi RiffRaff, Tommy Eyre's dad worked at Fence Workshops as  machinist!