Lack Of Bread Flour In Shops

If anyone is a keen baker and wants to eke out what bread flour they have, try Russian  potato bread, two parts strong flour, one part mashed potato.  It's  very good. See https://wp.me/p5wFIX-1nW

Has anyone seen any flour, plain or bread flour, in any shop?

Edited by rob123

What kind of flour is needed for making bread? Never made it before, so would assume bread flour; but what about other flour, can be used in bread making?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

What kind of flour is needed for making bread? Never made it before, so would assume bread flour; but what about other flour, can be used in bread making?

Thanks

I use a half and half mix of wholemeal and strong white. However, there is no hard and fast rule as to what flour you use. I made some bread cakes using rye flour as I had nothing else. They were a bit heavy but edible. If you have any sort of flour check for recipes on line.

3 hours ago, max said:

I use a half and half mix of wholemeal and strong white. However, there is no hard and fast rule as to what flour you use. I made some bread cakes using rye flour as I had nothing else. They were a bit heavy but edible. If you have any sort of flour check for recipes on line.

Thanks Max.

I want to try making bread by hand (rather than machine). Also not sure what type of yeast to get, any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Thanks Max.

I want to try making bread by hand (rather than machine). Also not sure what type of yeast to get, any suggestions?

I use Allinsons dried active yeast but I'm not an artisanal baker I just make bread to eat.

I haven’t been able to get any flour for a while now so am eking out my current stocks. Today I made a loaf using odds and ends of plain white flour, gluten-free plain white, self-raising white, self-raising wholemeal, and granary bread flour.

It’s turned out surprisingly well, although not rising quite as much as I’d usually expect for my bread, but that could be because I also used some Allinson dried active yeast with a BBE date of October 2012, so not so “active” I guess.

For my next loaf I think I’ll try the OP’s suggestion of potato bread.

Last week I ran out of yeast so made some beer bread it turned out ok . More dense than my usual one but perfectly edible.