Jump to content

Our Wonderful NHS/Keyworkers. APPRECIATION thread.

nikki-red

This is an APPRECIATION thread. 
If you don’t want to join in with the spirit of this theres  other threads you can post on.

 

Thank you.

Message added by nikki-red

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, apelike said:

Thanks to the posties for keeping my mail coming, thanks to the shop workers who manage the tills and stock the shelves so I can buy stuff, thanks to the bus drivers who let me travel to the shops and thanks to the government for trying to keep me safe. 

Well said. I hope when things get better their efforts aren't forgotten. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

While I hope EVERYONE, who is helping in their own way, both through carrying on doing their normal everyday job or putting in the overtime to keep things going at this time or volunteering in some capacity, feel that all their efforts are appreciated but things do seem to be getting a little silly by way of how others feel that appreciation should be shown? 

 

I read a letter in the 'i' newspaper today from an individual who wants the hand clapping to continue every Thursday night at 8pm until the whole COVID-19 crisis is over? 

 

Tonight, Look North interviewed a woman from Harrogate, who wanted everyone to join her "And her street in hand clapping and banging your pots and pans at 8pm", to show appreciation for all the supermarket staff & delivery drivers?

 

Now for me, the more you do this sort of thing, the less meaning it takes on?  The whole exercise of showing appreciation becomes devalued? 

 

Less is more but it does seem that anyone can call up a media outlet these days & just put out a call to hand clap for 'x' sector workers & the news will stick YOU on the tv & call me cynical but I feel that's why some people do it? 

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the NHS workers and all the volunteers  who are out there risking their own lives for old sods like me.

I have stayed in for the last 10 days and up to now not had to relie on any one but it's  a nice thought that someone would be there if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all the NHS workers and all the volunteers  who are out there risking their own lives for old sods like me.

I have stayed in for the last 10 days and up to now not had to relie on any one but it's  a nice thought that someone would be there if needed.

The amount of people that have volunteered is incredible, makes me really proud to be British.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was moved to tears to see the selfless carers who had moved away from their families and in to their care homes to protect the elderly.  What heroes.

 

Are we clapping again this Thursday?  I am very happy to clap every Thursday for all our heroes whilst this crisis continues.  They are brave and selfless and I'm very proud of them.  This includes the local heroes who are looking after vulnerable neighbours, etc.  Doctors, nurses, refuse collectors, delivery personnel, warehouse staff, teachers, good neighbours, self-isolaters, everybody.  

 

I was self-isolating from my family and the sound of cheering and clapping brought me to my window last week.  I was at a very low point and this act, hearing all my neighbours, lifted me up and gave me the strength to carry on.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my tribute to all those working for the NHS..

 

PANDEMIC

The world is in the middle of a viral pandemic

A virus that’s making people violently sick.

Thousands becoming ill and dying of Covid 19.

It’s a health catastrophe the world has never seen.

Millions of people told to stay at home

Many are frightened and living alone.

Socialising and entertaining are all banned,

Daily we are told to wash our hands.

Countries in lockdown and businesses close

When will it all end? No one knows.

Life as we know it has become unsure,

Until doctors and scientists develop a cure.

Doctors and nurses put their lives on the line

To help save your life and mine.

Hopefully soon we will get out of this mess,

So thank you to all who work for the NHS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic "alandrea0"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just seen during the ad break on ITV that the 'good' folk of 'Good Morning Britain', 'This Morning' & 'Loose Women', now appear to be hijacking the Thursday night, 8pm handclapping?

 

Apparently its now got to be done to the tune of 'Queens', 'We Will Rock You'. 

 

Once again, it appears to be celebrities going overboard & more about them, rather than the actual sentiment. 

 

Still the clapping is far better than what the Americans have decided to do to show appreciation to their medical staff... howling like dogs for some strange reason?

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My neighbours all stand outside our houses every Thursday evening to cheer on the NHS. We have been singing the song “ We’ll Meet Again” as sung by Vera Lynn, but want a change this Thursday. So what is your suggestion : You’ll Never Walk Alone ? “

Got any suggestions ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said "Nikki Red"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge thank you to all the NHS staff, those in all the stores continuing to provide essential supplies, those keeping up with the deliveries, the postal teams and the transport teams who are all doing their absolute best to make sure that things are going as smoothly as possible.

And of course, everyone who has volunteered to help out, no matter how big or small.

I'm grateful that even though my original job had the doors closed, we've been assigned to do something bigger and better that is on the same lines as what the volunteers are doing and it's so refreshing being a voice on the end of the phone to help someone out who needs it at this time no matter where they are in the country.

It's times like this that is making it extremely important to keep your family and friends in close contact. Cherish every call or communication you may have with them! It will make wonderful memories in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, pattricia said:

My neighbours all stand outside our houses every Thursday evening to cheer on the NHS. We have been singing the song “ We’ll Meet Again” as sung by Vera Lynn, but want a change this Thursday. So what is your suggestion : You’ll Never Walk Alone ? “

Got any suggestions ?

What about, as the wonderful Bill Withers died recently, Lean on me?

9 minutes ago, burghley said:

Huge thank you to all the NHS staff, those in all the stores continuing to provide essential supplies, those keeping up with the deliveries, the postal teams and the transport teams who are all doing their absolute best to make sure that things are going as smoothly as possible.

And of course, everyone who has volunteered to help out, no matter how big or small.

I'm grateful that even though my original job had the doors closed, we've been assigned to do something bigger and better that is on the same lines as what the volunteers are doing and it's so refreshing being a voice on the end of the phone to help someone out who needs it at this time no matter where they are in the country.

It's times like this that is making it extremely important to keep your family and friends in close contact. Cherish every call or communication you may have with them! It will make wonderful memories in the future.

A great post, and good advice at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.